howartp offline

DolphinAttack: hacking Siri, Alexa with ultrasonic commands

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.enga ... -commands/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:13 am
durosity offline

Re: DolphinAttack: hacking Siri, Alexa with ultrasonic comma

I’m sure this was news last year too. Slightly concerning from a “hey Siri call this premium rate number” situation but not so concerned, at least with Siri, on HA as security devices like locks require Touch ID (face ID Next week :) authentication.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 am
RogueProeliator offline

I’m sure this was news last year too. Slightly concerning from a “hey Siri call this premium rate number” situation but not so concerned, at least with Siri, on HA as security devices like locks require Touch ID (face ID Next week :) authentication.

I'm not too concerned about this -- it is kind of a forced-news item. If you read the the details, the effective range was something like 6' on most devices and nearly all the assistants will confirm a command or do something on screen before actually carrying out something serious. If someone is standing outside my window using ultrasonic commands to try and do something nefarious with my assistant, they won't be standing there for long once I understand what is happening! LOL

Posted on
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 pm
kw123 offline

i like the scenario much better when on the tv or radio some says "alexa shutdown the house" or "alexa buy 100 xx".
that is much more realistic and something like that already happened, though with playing music... one of the reasons why i don't want any of these in my house.

Karl

Posted on
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:25 am
durosity offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I'm not too concerned about this -- it is kind of a forced-news item. If you read the the details, the effective range was something like 6' on most devices and nearly all the assistants will confirm a command or do something on screen before actually carrying out something serious. If someone is standing outside my window using ultrasonic commands to try and do something nefarious with my assistant, they won't be standing there for long once I understand what is happening! LOL

Yeah i saw that. I suppose the technology could be refined to work over more distance, etc but i suspect before it becomes an issue Apple, et al, will add something to filter out noise on those frequencies.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 am
johnpolasek offline

kw123 wrote:
i like the scenario much better when on the tv or radio some says "alexa shutdown the house" or "alexa buy 100 xx".
that is much more realistic and something like that already happened, though with playing music... one of the reasons why i don't want any of these in my house.

Karl

Roger that... until they implement accurate voiceprint authentication, I'm not putting that kind of security hole in my house. what with the tv, radio, and telephone answering machine all capable of "talking" around it I'd want to be very sure it knows who's telling it to do something before it does it.

Page 1 of 1