Was HA more fun when everybody wasn't doing it?

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 pm
roussell offline

I think it was, at least for me. Back when it was thought that only the super rich could automatically switch on lights, music, or have a home theater, it was lots of fun to cobble together bits of random stuff and say "Oh yeh? Well look at this!"

These days with everything "IoT" and such, being able to have automation (or remote control) by just placing an Amazon order or running down to the closest mega store to pick up a smart bulb or outlet, seems to have killed some of the thrill of it.

Maybe I've been doing it too long, or maybe I'm just getting to that age when the phrase "back in my day..." carries more weight. While I still enjoy the convenience of it all, it's definitely more difficult these days to get excited about some new gadget or integration that it was 10-20 years ago.

Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon now. How about you all? Is it just me, or is the commercialization of HA killing the purest fun of the hobby? No doubt, commercialization has helped the overall industry, and been a large factor in pushing into existence, technology that may have never seen the light of day otherwise. I'm not arguing that fact at all, I'm just wondering for those of us that have been doing this a while, is it still fun for you, or do you find your hobby-mind looking elsewhere?

(Cross-posted to the cocoontech forums)

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Was HA more fun when everybody wasn't doing it?

I haven't lost the fun yet. On the contrary, as I become more proficient, I'm enjoying it more than ever. I do this stuff for my entertainment and convenience and don't really discount my experience because someone else can do it too. I do agree that it has been good for the industry.

Your post was very timely though. I have been recently undergoing a major house cleaning of my Indigo install--paring back on all of the things that I had once done "because I could". I'm now focusing on "because I should". For example, I had included all our A/V gear in Indigo because it was possible, but we just didn't use it that way. It's not that Indigo couldn't handle it--of course, it could very easily handle it all--rather, why have it if you don't ever use it? My install is much leaner now. I've easily deleted half my control pages and 20 or more devices. It's like cleaning out the garage. Feels good!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Don't know about the fun aspect but it sure was a much more unique and magical experience
back in the early days. Seems almost expected now.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
roussell offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I haven't lost the fun yet. On the contrary, as I become more proficient, I'm enjoying it more than ever. I do this stuff for my entertainment and convenience and don't really discount my experience because someone else can do it too. I do agree that it has been good for the industry.

Your post was very timely though. I have been recently undergoing a major house cleaning of my Indigo install--paring back on all of the things that I had once done "because I could". I'm now focusing on "because I should". For example, I had included all our A/V gear in Indigo because it was possible, but we just didn't use it that way. It's not that Indigo couldn't handle it--of course, it could very easily handle it all--rather, why have it if you don't ever use it? My install is much leaner now. I've easily deleted half my control pages and 20 or more devices. It's like cleaning out the garage. Feels good!

I think part of my problem is that for 5 years now, this house I'm in has been "temporary". It's the product of a previous marriage, something she wanted but I didn't. So I un-automated the last house, and began automating things here, then after the split bounced between selling and staying. I'm remarried and now that I'm with somebody with more-aligned goals and likes, we do in fact want to move. So the stuff I've bought but left in boxes, the half-finished stuff, and the completed stuff will be coming out, inspected and stored/trashed/sold. Hopefully the spark will be re-ignighted once we're settled into our "forever" home.

That said, I do expect the "purge" to be cathartic, and I'm rather looking forward to getting rid of some stuff that I know I"ll never use, but hold on to just in case (anyone want *several* 56k modems??) Apparently I'm an electronics hoarder... :shock:

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:37 pm
roussell offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Don't know about the fun aspect but it sure was a much more unique and magical experience
back in the early days. Seems almost expected now.

Carl

I think you're on to something with the "magical" aspect of it, Carl. There was a mystery and wow-effect during the days when the internet was young and Dick Tracy watch phones were still a fantasy!! Now my 5 year old step-daughter has a watch phone and controls the lights in her room and her Sonos with a tablet!! She DEFINITELY expects it!

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I would surmise that part of your problem is that you have touched many of the "cool" aspects of HA that others are still thinking/dreaming of but which are not as common place -- wall mounted touch screens, for instance. It is still neat, but your personal "magical" experience is gone after it becomes common place (to you).

I get a lot of what you are saying -- I still enjoy it as a hobby but there is definitely less "fire" these days.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 am
durosity offline

Yeah I’d kind of agree. I’d say for the last year or so it’s been a labour of love as there’s nothing new to do.. just rinse and repeat the same task in different rooms (and frankly motorising blinds has been so horribly over complicated without buying wayyy too expensive items!) but it does feel like the magic isn’t there anymore. Plus when people visit there’s not the shock of a light coming on automatically like there was 10 years ago when i started all this.. clearly this is all Jays fault.

That said I have no intention of removing aspects of it. I don’t use TV integration that much but it’s handy to be able to get the tv to automatically pause when the doorbell is pressed.

Thing is now I’m mostly complete.. everything I want automated is or is about to be. It’s a hobby that’s kinda consumed me for the last decade.. now I’m wondering what I’m going to do with myself.. I need a new hobby.

Sorry this is all probably a nonsensical mess.. woke up in a rather nasty anxiety state..

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
Apparently I'm an electronics hoarder... :shock:

I have a friend that was a "collector" of older tube-based A/V equipment. I use the term "collector" in the sense that he never met a vacuum tube he didn't like! When he retired his spouse was really hoping that their unusable garage would get cleaned out. And it did - by buying a storage house to move the "collectables" into! :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 am
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I would surmise that part of your problem is that you have touched many of the "cool" aspects of HA that others are still thinking/dreaming of but which are not as common place -- wall mounted touch screens, for instance. It is still neat, but your personal "magical" experience is gone after it becomes common place (to you).

I get a lot of what you are saying -- I still enjoy it as a hobby but there is definitely less "fire" these days.

You're right, Adam. I need to do something new and cool, the big problem is waiting to sell this house. I hate doing anything knowing it's temporary...

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 am
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
roussell wrote:
Apparently I'm an electronics hoarder... :shock:

I have a friend that was a "collector" of older tube-based A/V equipment. I use the term "collector" in the sense that he never met a vacuum tube he didn't like! When he retired his spouse was really hoping that their unusable garage would get cleaned out. And it did - by buying a storage house to move the "collectables" into! :lol:

A looonnng while back, I built small tube amps amps as a hobby. It was great fun and at the time I had an endless supply of parts as my day-job was a TV & radio repair technician. These days my garage looks more like a place where old IT tech goes to die. Last night I found 3 large Rubbermaid tubs filled with Pentium 4 Small Form Factor desktops. They were throw-aways from a job about 10 years ago and forgot I had them. They all work (at least they did) and the intent was to take them, clean them up and donate them. I think it's time to find an electronics recycler in the area :|

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 am
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
Yeah I’d kind of agree. I’d say for the last year or so it’s been a labour of love as there’s nothing new to do.. just rinse and repeat the same task in different rooms (and frankly motorising blinds has been so horribly over complicated without buying wayyy too expensive items!) but it does feel like the magic isn’t there anymore. Plus when people visit there’s not the shock of a light coming on automatically like there was 10 years ago when i started all this.. clearly this is all Jays fault.

That said I have no intention of removing aspects of it. I don’t use TV integration that much but it’s handy to be able to get the tv to automatically pause when the doorbell is pressed.

Thing is now I’m mostly complete.. everything I want automated is or is about to be. It’s a hobby that’s kinda consumed me for the last decade.. now I’m wondering what I’m going to do with myself.. I need a new hobby.

Sorry this is all probably a nonsensical mess.. woke up in a rather nasty anxiety state..

Heh, no I get it completely, and blinds has been something on my mind for a while, and an area that I haven't touched - mainly because of the same reasons you state. I think I need a bipedal robot assistant - that'll get the shock-and-wow back. Now then....where did I put those excess millions I had lying around?? :shock: Seriously though, I do think integrating true AI into the systems could be next. We have given our homes hands, eyes, ears and mouths, but bobbled them with lizard brains. Perhaps it's time for a home that anticipates our needs and makes them happen, not just based on simple events or schedules. Hello, Singularity!

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:52 am
durosity offline

Well that’s what I’m hoping for in indigo 8.. im sure the boys are already on it.. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 am
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
Well that’s what I’m hoping for in indigo 8.. im sure the boys are already on it.. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a strong suspicion that the first AI Jay develops will be one to handle the Durosity "situation" :lol:

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:34 am
durosity offline

He could just program an AI to replace me really. A simple BASIC program could do that in all fairness...

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am
RogueProeliator offline

eriously though, I do think integrating true AI into the systems could be next. We have given our homes hands, eyes, ears and mouths, but bobbled them with lizard brains.

I've seen enough movies to know that this might not end well... :)