Insteon Acquired

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm
DaveL17 offline

Insteon Acquired

Interesting news on the Insteon front.

Insteon, SmartLabs Acquired; New CEO Wants to Make Powerline Great Again for Home Automation - Richmond Capital acquires SmartLabs, owner of Insteon mesh-networking home-automation technology, and Smarthome, leading home-technology retailer; plans serious investment in IoT hardware and software.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:50 pm
akimball offline

Re: Insteon Acquired

This makes me hopeful. I feel their product line has stagnated. My home is based 90% on insteon and there are features that an 8 button controller should do....that have yet to be done. Also the battery situation with insteon products is seriously lacking.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:27 am
CraigM offline

Maybe now they will start treating Indigo with more respect. Or they could decide to write a real software package to compete.

Is this good news, or bad news for us?

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:15 am
DaveL17 offline

I think that this has the potential to be a good thing for Indigo. Rising tide lifts all boats. Getting more people interested and comfortable with DIY could lead to stronger support in the industry. New. better and (hopefully) cheaper hardware, and so on. Also, if Insteon is going for the "so simple that everyone can do it" segment, it could lead to more people taking a look at Indigo (who don't want to have something that's very simple).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

CraigM wrote:
Is this good news, or bad news for us?

IMO, it's not likely to be bad news. The mention of API development in the article seems somewhat positive. Hopefully it will mean fixing some of the underlying problems that the protocol has.

Also, if it leads to more Insteon devices (hopefully by more vendors) then that would be good news. If it means a USB-interface available for other regions worldwide that would also be good news (at least for customers in those areas).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 am
durosity offline

I fear their EU efforts will be too little too late.. they had their chance before z-wave started getting big but blew it. I don’t know anyone who’s bought their stuff here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1