iMeter Solo Equivalent

Posted on
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:27 pm
Dewster35 offline

iMeter Solo Equivalent

Does anyone know of a device out there that does what the insteon imeter solo does? Apparently it is discontinued and I'm struggling to find a Z-wave equivalent.

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:48 am
Swancoat offline

Re: iMeter Solo Equivalent

I MIGHT have one at home that I'm not using.... (if you're just trying to track one down). PM me if you're interested.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 am
Different Computers offline

If you're willing to switch to Z wave, there's this small plug.

Or this big one. I have these and they're super reliable.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm
whmoorejr offline

Different Computers wrote:
If you're willing to switch to Z wave, there's this small plug.

Or this big one. I have these and they're super reliable.

Can you create triggers based on energy usage? (looking to put one inline with a kid's TV to make sure they aren't using it in the middle of the night/when grounded/etc.)

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 pm
Different Computers offline

Why usage when you can just trigger on on state?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:23 am
johnpolasek offline

I would suspect that the new "smart" tv requires continuous power (consuming 5 or 10 watts of "phantom" power to keep a real time clock, programming, remote control detection, etc alive) even when off... and drawing 200 to 300 when on. So he's looking for an alarm trigger on State change from <25 watts to > 50... or on failure to answer ping if they unplug it. That's why back in the bad old X-10/X10esnion days when you could just turn off a (dumb) tv completely, we used a wired in plug to accomplish the same purpose.

Posted on
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:02 am
whmoorejr offline

johnpolasek wrote:

I would suspect that the new "smart" tv requires continuous power (consuming 5 or 10 watts of "phantom" power to keep a real time clock, programming, remote control detection, etc alive) even when off... and drawing 200 to 300 when on. So he's looking for an alarm trigger on State change from <25 watts to > 50... or on failure to answer ping if they unplug it. That's why back in the bad old X-10/X10esnion days when you could just turn off a (dumb) tv completely, we used a wired in plug to accomplish the same purpose.

Basically, yes. I got a couple mono-price cyber Monday z-wave devices (plugs with energy monitoring) to play with ($23 each). But I will leave the switch part on all the time and just trigger off an energy spike (TV turned on) to let me know what time(s) the TV is in use (After hours, etc.)

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Page 1 of 1