Homekit out of network

Posted on
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 pm
MarcoGT offline

Homekit out of network

Hi all,

we all know that HomeKit works only if device is connected to the local network; to allow remote access, we need at AppleTV4 (or an iPad) running at least iOS10.
But will Siri work too? I mean, can I give commands to Siri when I am connected through cellular or through another WiFi network or only the "Home" app will work?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 am
pvrfan offline

Re: Homekit out of network

MarcoGT wrote:
we all know that HomeKit works only if device is connected to the local network; to allow remote access, we need at AppleTV4 (or an iPad) running at least iOS10.
But will Siri work too? I mean, can I give commands to Siri when I am connected through cellular or through another WiFi network or only the "Home" app will work?

Siri works remotely.

Craig

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 am
virgahyatt offline

Yep, full control remotely. And FYI, Apple TV 3rd gen will work for remote access as well. But does not allow for automations. Though with indigo that part doesn't really matter so much. :)

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:45 am
MarcoGT offline

I have a 3rd gen Apple TV. But how can I use it as HomeKit hub?

Posted on
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 pm
virgahyatt offline

Make sure you are using 2 factor authentication and have turned iCloud Keychain on. Then just sign into iCloud on the Apple TV with the same account. That's it. You can check https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057 for more info

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:34 am
MarcoGT offline

Uhm...I tried but it is not working.
I tried on my wife's iPhone which does not have the same iCloud account but I have invited her and in fact, when she is on the same wifi, Siri works fine.
But from outside the network, Home app and Siri are not working. :(

Inside the Home app, it is requested to have Apple TV 4 or iPad running at least iOS10 to get it.

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:35 am
Different Computers offline

I had trouble with this when first setting up a 4th Gen. My 3rd Gen ATV just magically acted as a HK hub without any config BUT leaving it with its configuration intact while trying to put the new 4th G in place kept the new one from working.

Also, I THINK I recall that Apple had deprecated/stopped via an update allowing 3rd Gen ATVs from acting as a hub. Ah yes: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/16/ap ... tv-ios-10/ Remote access still works, but that's about all.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:36 am
virgahyatt offline

Sometimes it takes a little bit for it to activate after you signed in and nothing will ever show on the Apple TV that it is acting as a hub. The only place you can see that is in the Home app. You may want to try signing out of iCloud and back in again on the apple tv.

A good way to test remote access is turn wifi and bluetooth off and see if you can still access your devices.

If it still doesn't work there might be a network related issue causing it.

Also, for your wife, even with the Apple TV won't have remote access till you grant it to her from the Home app on your phone.

@Different Computers
The 3rd gen has only ever offered remote access for homekit. Apple has not removed/changed that at all. The rumor site you link to is incorrect about that. Even the support article that they link to (the same way I did earlier actually) says that the 3rd gen still offers remote access. All that changed was that Apple introduced Automations, which requires a 4th gen or iPad acting as the hub and the Home App. However, the Home app is just another way of accessing HomeKit and neither Apple TV cares whether the command is sent from Siri or the Home App.

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:48 pm
sarahcat offline

Can a GEN 4 ATV be used in some way as a bridge from Indigo to Homekit or does that cause a licensing problem? If not the ATV GEN4, can ANY piece of hardware be used to bridge Indigo to Homekit or is that simply...a bridge too far... :oops:

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 pm
durosity offline

‘A bridge too far’... Ha!

No.. the atv3/4 just act as a bridge for access outside of your home.. but if you search the form for homebridge-indigo (or the slightly on hiatus homebridge buddy if your not using macOS 10.12) you can bridge between indigo and HomeKit with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1