I now own too much computing power

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:01 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: I now own too much computing power

"Hello professor Falken. Would you like to play a game?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:28 am
durosity offline

DaveL17 wrote:

Oh dear, i just read that out the corner of my eye and laughed down the phone at a customer. Hopefully that call wasn't recorded... ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:23 am
RogueProeliator offline

If only it was that simple.

Oh, I know it isn't that simple... but I've been pretty impressed with AWS's ease of use once the network and DNS guys do their magic (for us to support multiple continents). Aside from the technical realities of having to synchronize stuff, though, it isn't exactly that cheap anyway.

Maybe we can setup a Louisiana/Alabama-based Indigo Cloud!!!

That could be one HECK of a Plex server... how much is a fiber internet connection in your area? :)

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:38 am
DaveL17 offline

durosity wrote:
DaveL17 wrote:

Oh dear, i just read that out the corner of my eye and laughed down the phone at a customer. Hopefully that call wasn't recorded... ;)

It's only good if coffee came out your nose.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 am
durosity offline

That could be one HECK of a Plex server... how much is a fiber internet connection in your area? :)

oh good god yes, make this happen!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:16 am
roussell offline

Shutter wrote:
roussell wrote:
Any creative and fun suggestions????

You say it's in your garage? Thought about setting up a neural net to run your self hosted copy of Pied Piper?

YES!! The I could get a car with doors that go like this
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 4087 times

That's the doors of a billionaire!

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:19 am
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
DaveL17 wrote:

The weird thing is - playing with AI was my first thought, now that I have a lot of power at my disposal. The power cost would probably be cheaper than rennet servers on AWS (at least in Alabama). It would be nice to stick some GPGPUs in there too...

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:34 am
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

No kidding. I ran Sage TV as my sole solution for TV and recordings for years until they were absorbed by Google. I've never fully recovered from that loss but miss terribly the technology. I have DirectTV now and have learned to live with it, along with FireTVs, AppleTVs and Rokus behind all the TVs. I still have a ton of movies on disks and plan to use the newly-aquired SAN for that along with photos and music. The DL580 currently runs Zoneminder, a few general purpose Linux boxes, a Homeseer box on Windows (own a pro license but don't do anything with it - it's pretty unstable), and a FreeNas VM. There's plenty of overhead left (40 cores across 4 processors) to run a Plex or Kodi server - I've really just been waiting to see what happens with live recording of copy-protected channels before doing anything. With everything seemingly moving toward a streaming model, I'm not sure if it's even worth it anymore. I stream everything as it is, I've lived in this house for 4 years now and still haven't unboxed the DVD players.... :|

Sadly, my area (Birmingham) doesn't have any consumer-available fiber yet. The best we have available is 100/10 from Charter and that's best case. I did just put in a couple of 10Gig circuits from Level 3 at work though - those are pretty sweet. I hear that Huntsville, Al is getting a pretty good fiber adoption, but that may have something to do with Google building a data center there...

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:47 am
autolog offline

roussell wrote:
... I ran Sage TV as my sole solution for TV and recordings for years until they were absorbed by Google. ...

I am still running SageTV :D

It is now Open Source and I keep on meaning to spend some time upgrading to Sage TV V9. I am using HD300s with my SageTV system. I still haven't found any box (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV etc) that is as good as the HD300s connected to SageTV for skipping back and fourth through videos. :wink:

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 am
Vangelis offline

Depending on your Moral Compass you could set it up as a Cloud Password Hash crunching service (payment via Bitcoin), or Bitcoin Mining?

Assume you can shutdown 50% of those PSUs as they will just be providing HA?

Vangelis

Posted on
Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:00 pm
akimball offline

I'd definitely keep those cores and memory around... Microsoft Windoze 11 will be out someday soon. I've heard it's a little bloated...

-Al

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:51 am
howartp offline

Ship 'em over here and me and Durosity will set them up to mirror the US reflectors, thus reducing the transatlantic lag and improving the speeds for UK...

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:04 am
durosity offline

Good idea! Howartp also agrees to pay the electric bill!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:15 am
roussell offline

Well, I finally got around to booting up one of the beasts and installing a Linux distribution on it to test. 8 power supplies fed from two different circuits wasn't enough so the server booted in a restricted power mode, limiting the processors to only 1.06 GHz. I guess I'll need to run a 240V circuit to properly test them. Linux reports 160 processors (8 physical procs, 80 cores, plus hyperthreading), but is only reporting 750Gig of RAM but otherwise it's pretty cool. Sadly the GUI system monitor app only reports 73 CPUs, which seems like an odd limit. I thought briefly about making the worlds most powerful Hackintosh, but don't have a proper video card or SATA adapter to make it boot.

ImageImageImage

Posted on
Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:34 pm
durosity offline

Impressive. So what are you actually going to do with them?

Computer says no.