Irrigation system

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 pm
durosity offline

Re: Irrigation system

(But thanks for volunteering Jays house as a crash pad for me.. don't worry.. I still have a key!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Keys no longer work - you have to know the codes on my Kwikset locks. Which I can conveniently rotate codes thanks to howartp's plugin... :twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:04 pm
Professor Falken offline

Actually, I wish there was something like what the OP was looking for. Something like the Orbit sprinkler controls that the big box stores sell, but with, say, battery powered Insteon guts for the logic instead of the digital timers on the valves.

Even though I have an irrigation system, there are times when I need to rig up a hose and sprinkler somewhere (new plants, recently re-seeded area out of a sprinkler zone), and having the ability to just screw on a device between the spigot and the hose and control it with Indigo would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:06 pm
Professor Falken offline

I guess "always listening" devices don't work well when battery powered. As opposed to the transmitting only devices like leak sensors, door sensors, and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Professor Falken wrote:
I guess "always listening" devices don't work well when battery powered. As opposed to the transmitting only devices like leak sensors, door sensors, and the like.

I expect this is one of the big reasons there isn't a HA solution that mimics a timer that just screws onto a standard outlet. That and making it weather and waterproof.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:38 am
mclass offline

My solution was to use low-cost 24VAC irrigation solenoid valves like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/?iid=252660419804&chn=ps&&&chn=ps
controlled by one of the earlier Fibaro double switch in-wall modules with voltage-free contacts switching the 24VAC to each solenoid.

A 240V/24V transformer and the Fibaro switch are located in a small weatherproof box adjacent to an external power outlet. Push buttons (weatherproof) are fitted to the enclosure to toggle the Fibaro switch (the S1 terminal I recall?) for manual/local control if required. Whilst you can then arrange schedules through Indigo, my gardener (wife!) prefers to initiate the watering cycle manually from her iPhone, and each sprinkler "circuit" is set to run for a preset time.

Be aware that the newer Fibaro double switch module contacts are no longer voltage free so an alternative will need to be found. Other possibilities I've considered include an Arduino with relay card, or maybe even a Sonoff (check out the relevant plugin). When time permits, I intend to investigate some of the newer low cost wifi devices (eg Raspberry Pi Zero W) mounted at each valve, with just a power supply reticulated to each. Underground wifi coverage may be an issue :shock:

Whilst my solution lacks the sophistication of a professional sprinkler controller, it has proven to be a reliable and low cost ($A100 - 150 per circuit) solution through the last two hot "downunder" summers.

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:29 am
Shutter offline

Did I really start this thread in 2014‽ How time flies.

Still haven't done this - there wrer far more pressing needs, plus kept buying more tech for the inside of the house.

I did spend a lot of time looking into my options available for the UK, which believe it or not we could have used this year. Driest winter since records began, or some such. Anyway, it's been very dry and we're terrible at keeping an eye on the garden, so could really use this. I thought about doing what mclass did, seeing as there's nothing like what is available in the US. I was just hoping that by the time I worked on this something else might come along.

Sure, there's the Hozelock Cloud Controller and the Gardena system, but if you can't get it to talk to Indigo where's the fun in that.

It's really rather annoying how few options are outside the US. I'm once again hoping that by the time I really need to do this something new comes along. Seeing as we have to rip up the deck, with the plan to redo the garden, this is going to happen sooner rather than later.

[EDIT: Yes, I know I can source some other systems in the UK, but I not keen to fit something that is easy to source with good local support, plus something that I know is well supported in Indigo.]

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:38 am
johnfdl offline

The solution is simple......move to the US! :mrgreen:

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 am
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
Keys no longer work - you have to know the codes on my Kwikset locks. Which I can conveniently rotate codes thanks to howartp's plugin... :twisted:

Yes but I blackmailed howartp into adding a back door so I could set my own pin.. now you know who's been eating the food if your refrigerator :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:44 pm
Shutter offline

johnfdl wrote:
The solution is simple......move to the US! :mrgreen:

Not for at least 4 to 8 years. :wink:

Posted on
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:02 pm
johnfdl offline