Recieving RF signals X-10 signals

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:17 am
Codein offline

Recieving RF signals X-10 signals

I have the LynX-10 PLC and a TM751 Transceiver module. I was expecting that I would see the RCVD: (HomeCode/StartCode) (State:On/Off) to be written in the Event Log, but I don't get anything even thought they are in the same room. Any ideas? (Note: the TM751 and the remote are on the same HomeCode).

Also I bought some PR511 Motion Dectector Flood lights and was expected to get a signal (state: ON/OFF) back from them when they detected motion. Any idea? Otherwise they work as devices which turn ON/OFF with Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Recieving RF signals X-10 signals

Sounds like the LynX-PLC is either not receiving any X10 data on the powerline, or the X10 data on the powerline isn't making it all the way to the LynX-PLC.

Have you changes the LynX-PLC receiver sensitivity at all? It is available via the Preferences dialog when you click on the "Interface Options..." button. We normally don't recommend changing these settings because if you get them out of a good range, then the LynX-PLC may not receive any signals or will get decoding errors when receiving and/or sending data. But in this case you might try increasing the receiver sensitivity just a bit from the default 50 to see if it helps.

Also try plugging the TM751 into the same outlet as the LynX-PLC. Being in the same room doesn't necessarily mean they are on the same circuit, so the signal may be getting attenuated at some point between the TM751 and LynX-PLC.

Let me know if you have any luck. It should definitely work as you described -- you should see a "RCVD: (HomeCode/StartCode) (State:On/Off)" in the log file whenever the LynX-PLC receives X10 data on the powerline.

regards,
matt

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:11 am
Codein offline

Matt,

Thanks that seem to be the issue now does that mean I can use the TM751 other than right by the LynX-PLC or on the same circuit?

Also I wondering if you knew anything about the Motion detectors below:

Also I bought some PR511 Motion Dectector Flood lights and was expected to get a signal (state: ON/OFF) back from them when they detected motion. Any idea? Otherwise they work as devices which turn ON/OFF with Indigo.

PS: I think you have an excellent piece of software I was a few more things test and I'll be convinced your the top of the pack on the Mac.

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Codein wrote:

Sounds like the same problem you are having with the transceiver. Somewhere between the motion detector and your LynX-PLC interface there is an appliance introducing noise or sucking the signal down. Or you might need a signal bridge (or amplifier/repeater), if you don't have one already, to bridge your 2 110v legs.

Smarthome makes several products to help out:

http://www.smarthome.com/x10troubleshoot.html

And also has a good support area with some articles on improving signal reliability:

http://smarthome.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/smarthome.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

regards,
matt

Page 1 of 1