Automating a new bathroom

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Automating a new bathroom

petematheson wrote:
Any ideas on how to control an electric towel rail? Is it just an on/off plug? (Never had one before!)

Mine is, it has a timer on it that I would have to hard wire to be on all the time if I were going to connect it to Indigo.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm
siclark offline

They normally connect to a wall switch in the UK, but I replaced that with a Heatmiser timer thermostat and use the indigo plugin to control it along with my other stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

petematheson wrote:
I already have a Aeotec Multisensor - are the Oregon’s better?
My Aeotec always reports humidity at about 93% so I can’t really do much automation wise with ventilation and 7%!

Well, that's likely a subjective question. I've had no problems with my OS temp/humidity sensors, and I think the batteries last well over a year. I seem to be getting consistent humidity ranges (at 51% right now). When we shower it always goes above 67% and we rarely go over that naturally in that room (trial and error got to that number). I also have a couple of Aeotec multisensors for testing I could have used, but the battery life on the OS (despite having half as many as the multisensor) is longer.

I also have an outdoor OS temp/humidity sensor and an OS rain gauge, all of which use the RFXrec433E - all those components have been rock solid for many years (unfortunately my OS anemometer got broken in our last move and I haven't replaced it yet). The only downside really is that when you replace the batteries in any of these devices then end up with a new ID - so you have to edit the device and change the ID (it'll show in the log what devices the plugin finds when you bounce the plugin - not optimal, but workable).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 pm
petematheson offline

siclark wrote:
They normally connect to a wall switch in the UK, but I replaced that with a Heatmiser timer thermostat and use the indigo plugin to control it along with my other stats.

I've got a Honeywell system at the moment, any idea if there's something that would allow me to integrate it with the Honeywell Evohome?

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Mine is, it has a timer on it that I would have to hard wire to be on all the time if I were going to connect it to Indigo.

It would have to be wired directly in here in the UK as non electric sockets allowed. Not quite sure what options that gives me to control it via Indigo!

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 pm
siclark offline

I don't think you could integrate with evohome. It's a great system for retro fitting rooms into zones with own control but not seen anything else that can do hot water, radiator central heating with multiple zones, wet underfloor, electric underfloor and work as a timer for electric towel rails etc that Heatmiser can do.
To integrate with Indigo a heavy duty fibaro relay in a back box should do the trick with a switch on the front.

Posted on
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 am
howartp offline

Our (UK) towel rail heater in bathroom is plumbed in like a radiator, complete with Evohome TRV thermostat on it.

The one in downstairs loo is on a Fibaro in a backbox, under the vanity cupboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 pm
kw123 offline

with the BME680 sensor and an rpi zero you get a really nice temp humidity AND AIR-QUALITY sensor .. it really detects the bad air events .. :twisted: ==> keep the fan on

Karl

Posted on
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm
Korey offline

kw123 wrote:
with the BME680 sensor and an rpi zero you get a really nice temp humidity AND AIR-QUALITY sensor .. it really detects the bad air events .. :twisted: ==> keep the fan on

Karl

Perfect!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:42 am
jh71283 offline

petematheson wrote:

I've got a Honeywell system at the moment, any idea if there's something that would allow me to integrate it with the Honeywell Evohome?

Honeywell have a wireless relay that might help here. You most likely already have one or two in the system. I think it is the BDR91.

https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell- ... y-box.html

Would be worth having a chat with those guys first, as I don't know if it will do what you want, or even if the BDR91 is rated for use in a bathroom.