ADSL Router UPS

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 am
Vangelis offline

ADSL Router UPS

Anyone come up with an neat way of providing UPS for their AP?

At the moment I am running a standard Mains UPS setup, but would like to leverage something a little smaller like one of those mobile phone chargers (small form factor) that is dedicated to just the AP

Any ideas?

Vangelis

Posted on
Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:40 pm
virgahyatt offline

Re: ADSL Router UPS

By AP I assume you mean Access Point. Why not just pick up a standard UPS like you would buy for your computer. Plug it into one of the regulated outlets and you're good. Most APs don't take very much power so it won't take a very big one to get a decent amount of time out of it. Some of the better ones will connect to a computer via USB to monitor and OS X supports most natively. I personally have my Modem, Router, APs and server connected to a cyberpower 1500va and usually get about 20-30 min after an outage but haven't really needed it for more than 10 minutes.

I believe there is even an indigo plugin for the APC brand.

Posted on
Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:33 am
Vangelis offline

Re: ADSL Router UPS

I currently have a 8 socket APC UPS (the smallest one at the time) mounted on the wall next to my AP. However this is the only thing plugged into it and the Wife says the APC is big and ugly!

Having seen the power bricks you can buy for mobile phones, got me thinking if there was similar for APs? The specs on my system are 15vdc and you can get some battery packs to support it but they are more expensive than the APC!

I am sure I could lash something together but wanted to canvas the forums first. I just want something a bit neater (and smaller) to cover against small outages (5-10mins)

Vangelis

Page 1 of 1