LampLinc by INSTEON

Posted on
Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm
wwhigginsjr offline

ApplianceLinc V2

nsheldon-

I did purchase a new Insteon On/Off module, and have just installed it/defined it in Indigo. The new Insteon On/Off module works perfectly/as expected/without further re-programming. That is, the Insteon On/Off module STAYS OFF when I tell Indigo to turn it off! I am now able to reboot remotely the modem/device that is powered by a small power brick/transformer.

Thanks for your help. Very well communicated, and a bit of a hair saver (sometimes these Indigo/Insteon issues cause hair loss!).

Posted on
Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: LampLinc by INSTEON

Awesome! Glad to hear the new module is working as expected! Glad I could help.

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:02 pm
thomasw offline

Re: Appliancelincs by Insteon or Z-wave?

Hi all,
I have a lot of Insteon Appliancelincs in use, and 2 Z-wave Levitron Appliancelincs. For most things they work fine.

My problem is:
I have a need to find an Appliancelinc for 3 situations that require them to completely shut OFF the voltage going to it's plug.
If you don't know, Insteon Appliancelincs, and Z-wave Levitron Appliancelincs always have partial AC power going to it's plug even when it's supposed to be OFF.
( I even tried the old X-10 appliancelincs, and they also allow partial power when turned OFF)

This is a major problem when you have a device plugged into it, that you must turn completely OFF.

In one setup, I use an Appliancelinc to control a small plug-in lamp that has an LED bulb. The problem, is the LED bulb is always lit
whether the Appliancelinc is ON or OFF. Yes, the LED is just dim when OFF, but still lit up.
In the second setup, I have a wireless router plugged into an Appliancelinc, and it's also getting partial power when it's supposed to be OFF,
and that shows it's own LED lights on dim. This also causes the router to loose it's configuration settings, due to the low power and then
Full power when the Appliancelinc is turned ON. It really screws with this router.
A third setup involves an Appliancelinc that is supposed to turn ON/OFF an extension cord going outside to something. The Appliancelinc is allowing partial power to this device, and
it's controls are partially lit when it's supposed to be OFF.

Does anyone know of an Appliancelinc that actually turns OFF the power to it's plug when Indigo tells it to turn OFF? (Z-wave or Insteon)
Thanks,
-Tom

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:17 pm
roussell offline

You'll likely need to wire up something custom. In a few areas I have an Insteon device that turns on/off a relay, and the load is connected to the relay. In the old days of X10, there existed a method to bypass the sense circuit on the appliance modules, but I don't think that exists (or has been discovered) for the Insteon modules.

Terry

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 am
thomasw offline

Hi Terry,
What type of relay are you using to do this?
Thanks,
-Tom

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:39 pm
thomasw offline

Solution For ApplicanceLincs - Turn Completely OFF

Hi All,
I found a solution that works well for the ApplianceLincs that don't turn the power all the way off to what is plugged into them.
I bought the Z-wave Everspring ON/OFF Plug (applianceLinc) model# AN163-1.
When Indigo sends the command to turn off whatever you have plugged into the AN163, it actually turns off ALL of the
voltage to the plug. (unlike the Insteon ApplianceLinc).
This means that you can use small devices plugged into the Everspring AN163, like LED lights and whatever.
Like I listed above, I have a few devices that need to be completely shut off from power.
This Everspring AN163-1 is big like the original Insteon ApplianceLincs, but it works great.
There is also a pass-thru plug on the Everspring that has constant power. There is also a button to manually turn
ON or OFF the controlled plug. Oh, and it also has a power meter to show how much a device is using. (haven't used that feature)
Can't say enough about this Everspring ON/OFF Plug. IT WORKS GREAT WITH INDIGO !!!!!! (I'm on Indigo V: 6.1.8 )
Thanks,
-Tom