Aeotec Micro Smart Energy Illuminator (DSC19103)

Posted on
Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Aeotec Micro Smart Energy Illuminator (DSC19103)

Check out the How to use with Indigo wiki article for a note on polling and this device.

Device Details
How to use with Indigo

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:36 am
Indy_Larry offline

Re: Aeotec Micro Smart Energy Illuminator (DSC19103)

I have a few questions about these inline modules before I purchase them:

Most of my rooms have three-way light switches can these be used in this type of setup? If not, can I get some recommendations on some good toggle style z-wave 3-way switches.

I'm also unclear if these can control dimmable LED lights?

And have the issues mentioned on this thread been resolved?

Thanks

Larry

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure this particular micro module is going to work for a 3-way setup. I know a pair of INSTEON SwitchLincs would work (you would just link them with one another), but that would require you to use a PowerLinc with Indigo as well (so it can send/receive the INSTEON commands). There are master/slave Z-Wave switches available, but I don't have a specific recomendation. I know there are Cooper brand modules that would work, but those are pricey. There are probably cheaper alternatives, but I'll let someone that has experience with them give the recommendations.

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:24 pm
Indy_Larry offline

Thanks for your reply Matt. The reason I was not going with the Insteon was because the togglelinc (toggle flip) twitches are not dual band, and I have several APC surge protectors in my home. If they were dual band like the decor style switches then I would go with Insteon. I'm just concerned that with my APC surge protectors/battery backup devices that the switches will not get the commands. If I am wrong about the surge protector filtering out Insteon commands over power lines then please let me know. I plane on having a whole house surge protector put on at the fusebox next year and doing away with the outlet style surge protection.

Thanks

Larry

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

APC surge protectors or UPSs might cause problems but there isn't a way to know for sure if they will really attenuate the signal enough to prevent it from getting to the modules without trying it. I have several UPSs and a few higher-end surge strips. Not all of them are on FilterLincs, but I did have to put a couple of them on filters.

Posted on
Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 pm
Devildog0331 offline

A bit old but I thought I'd respond in case others may want to know.

The DSC27103 is a dimmer module and works in a three way configuration. It also states that it will work with select LED's (see below for more info) Link to the Aeon Labs product page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSC27103-ZWUS-Illuminator-In-Wall/dp/B008VW5UG8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=370SKXVNUW3XW&coliid=I3H1G1EO9XX9E.

The Aeon Labs Z-Wave Micro Illuminator In-Wall Light Dimmer enables Z-Wave control for your existing in-wall dimmers. In addition to enabling Z-Wave command and control (on/off/dim), it can also report immediate wattage consumption or kWh energy usage over a period of time, helping you monitor your energy use and save on electricity bills! The Micro Illuminator is designed to work out of the box with halogen lamp, sodium and tungsten lights. It can also be connected to light dimmers that work by reducing the amount of electricity being passed to their transformer. This includes select LED lights. The wireless module is powered from the mains supply. Its three-wire design requires a neutral connection. In the event of power failure, non-volatile memory retains all programmed information relating to the units operating status. The wireless protocol is based on Z-Wave, which provides a mesh network for commands to hop reliably from node to node. FEATURES: On/Off control via Z-Wave, manual wall switch and/or built-in button. 3-way capable with 3-wire installation. Fits in most gang boxes worldwide. Optimized antenna range.

What I don't know is if you must have one of these on each switch. Like Larry... We (really my wife) won't move to decora style switches. So I'm VERY limited as to what I can do...
I would assume not since the dimming will not be done locally so companion dimmers are not required. I just don't know if it must be installed on the first or last switch in the line (my situ is a four way setup).

I'm also not sure if it suffers from the same polling issue that Jay refers to in his post/wiki article.

Posted on
Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Normally for these micro switches that are 3-way capable I believe you need one module per independent load in the 3-way circuit. Both physical switches are then wired to the module.

Posted on
Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 pm
Devildog0331 offline

I emailed them in hopes of some clarification. The picture they sent in the reply was very useful but I'll have to post it another day (larger than 512kb and rejected):

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your contacting.

You don't need to replace your existing Switches. You just need to put our Micro Dimmer (2nd Edition) into the gang box and wire the line as the instruction. Here attached the instruction, wiring diagram for hour reference. Please note that Micro Dimmer (2nd Edition)-DSC27103 (without the words “Smart”) does not have the ability to monitor energy consumption, Micro Smart Dimmer (2nd Edition)-DSC19103 can monitor the energy consumption. Thanks.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

---
Upcoming:
Mobile World Congress: Attending 24 to 27 February.
CeBIT 2014: Hall 13 Stand A40, 10 to 14 March.

David Li
Business Developer
Aeon Labs
http://www.aeon-labs.com

Date: 2014年2月11日 GMT+8上午7:06:36
To: aeon-labs.com
Subject: Question about your DSC27103

Message Body:
Hello.

I have a four way switch configuration in my living room and I do not wish to replace my existing toggle style switches. It's current wiring configuration is exactly like this: http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electric ... wiring.gif

I'd like to use your DSC27103 to remotely switch on/off and dim the lights and still maintain local on/off control via the toggle style switch. Using the wiring example in the link above:
1) Will the DSC27103 work?
2) Where would I install it (inside a switch box or by the light fixture)?
3) If I had to place in the switch box, how many are required (I have three switches)?

Thank you.

Richard Kelly

--
This mail is sent via contact form on Aeotec

[select recipient]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (170.86 KiB) Viewed 14993 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:36 am
gregconnors offline

Hi All.

I've got a couple of these in-wall dimmers connected to manual wall switches. Is there any way to detect if the wall switch is on or off? I'm doing some crazy enabling/disabling of triggers to override motion sensors so they try to honour the wall switch. I'm having difficulty with my logic to make this happen as expected (ie. manual wall switch overrides everything).

If this dimmer can't do it, does anyone know of another z-wave dimmer/switch that will?

Thanks for any help,
Greg

Posted on
Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo cannot program the module to have links that respond to the same outlet from the same group/scene ID. That is a limitation of Indigo, but instead of using links you can control each outlet individually just by using the Turn On/Off actions. So I would recommend using that inside a Trigger. That is, don't try to use INSTEON links, just use Indigo's direct Turn On/Off actions.

Posted on
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:15 pm
macguyincali offline

matt (support) wrote:

Thanks Matt. So maybe I'm not adding the devices properly. It seems that both the top outlet and the bottom outlet seem to have the same Device ID or maybe I'm having a problem adding the devices.

My assumption is/was that the top button allows you to add the top outlet and the bottom button adds the bottom outlet, both as separate devices. When I tried that (and I think I will give it another try and report back, naturally), it didn't seem to create two devices. They both had the same ID, I believe.

-JP

Posted on
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

After define/syncing you should have 2 tabs in the device dialog: one for the top device, and one for the bottom.

Is that the case? If not, then copy/paste the Event Log results of the define/sync into a post for me.

Posted on
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 pm
macguyincali offline

Ah... I must not have noticed the Upper / Lower tabs and definitely didn't realize this created two different devices. Very cool. I see that I can't use them for linking, but I do have a trigger that targets each one separately. Thanks for your help.

While I'm at it, there is a weird situation where when I turn a switch on in one room, another one turns on in a totally different part of the house. The two devices are not linked and I can't seem to figure it out. I do have hundreds of lights / switches etc. so maybe there is some sort of interference?

Posted on
Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It sounds like a link might have been inadvertently created. Try re-syncing both modules in Indigo then check Indigo's link editor dialog to see if there is a link. If there isn't, then I would suggest factory resetting them both and re-syncing again.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm
Unklmarty offline

OutletLinc Dimmer Dual-band editing error

Just upgraded to 6.1.0. I am getting the following message in the event log when I try to edit any device.

Error (client) openDialogFor() caught exception: NSInternalInconsistencyException -- Invalid parameter not satisfying: (index >= 0) && (index <= [_itemArray count])

HELP!
System is MacPro /2x2.4 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon/32GB Ram/ OS 10.10.3 / PowerLinc 2413U
System has been running for years.
Marty