INSTEON Water Leak Sensor

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:58 am
pgershon offline

Re: INSTEON Water Leak Sensor

hamw wrote:
Very sorry to hear of your broken water pipe. I've put together a script that controls my water valve to prevent a catastrophic leak. This is different from just using a water sensor as it will stop a leak from a pipe anywhere in the house downstream of the meter. The valve is also controlled from Insteon leak sensors.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14955

This is the install thread for the water meter and valve.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9940

I'm sure there are a lot of water flow/valve solutions you could use, but this does work. Hope that may be of some help.

Thanks. I ordered from Smarthome their leak sensors and water flow cutoff. I may try to use with your scripts. I am having plumber install the valve cutoff as my homeowners seems like they will include in my claim.

Posted on
Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:10 am
hamw offline

When having your repair work done, please note that A) you do need a water meter to use those scripts, as they monitor actual flow, and B) in order to pick up the pulses from the meter you need an interface. I have used the Phidgets 8/8/8 board with Berkinet's plugin, which for me has been completely stable. That adds a layer of complexity, but is really just some wiring and triggers/setup.

lalisingh has a good experience with the Badger, which, if I read correctly, registers at 1 gallon volumes. However, I think a more granular meter would offer an advantage in picking up a slow leak.

Let us know your decisions and how the work goes.

Posted on
Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:54 am
lalisingh offline

hamw wrote:
When having your repair work done, please note that A) you do need a water meter to use those scripts, as they monitor actual flow, and B) in order to pick up the pulses from the meter you need an interface. I have used the Phidgets 8/8/8 board with Berkinet's plugin, which for me has been completely stable. That adds a layer of complexity, but is really just some wiring and triggers/setup.

lalisingh has a good experience with the Badger, which, if I read correctly, registers at 1 gallon volumes. However, I think a more granular meter would offer an advantage in picking up a slow leak.

Let us know your decisions and how the work goes.

The 1 gallon limitation is for pulse output. The type of encoder attached to the 'meter' will determine the resolution. This https://www.badgermeter.com/business-lines/utility/high-resolution-encoders-hr-e/ encode will provide 0.1 gallon resolution via a serial output. The Phidget I/O board has lot of good feedback on this forum for getting the pulse data into Indigo.

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Tue May 17, 2016 9:45 pm
denno offline

deleted

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2016 3:26 pm
denno offline

Could someone provide some more detail about setting this up? Am a little stumped...

--
For instance, you could have a trigger fire that restarts a Timer device that has a run time for 50 hours (a bit over 2 days). Then create a trigger that fires when the timer expires that will notify you (via email, growl, or whatever) when the heartbeat has been missed.
--

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2016 5:26 pm
hamw offline

Perry the cynic has a new plug in that apparently makes dealing with these issues a lot easier. Setting up the trigger for the timer that is activated by the heartbeat is a little complicated. Why don't you look there first? Let us know your results.

Briefly though, the way I have done it is to have a trigger that is activated by the heartbeat of the Insteon device. When the trigger fires every 24 hours or so, and it resets a timer device to 25 hours. You then have to set up yet another trigger so that when the timer reaches zero that trigger is activated and then send you an SMS or email notification to tell you that the heartbeat was missed and therefore probably your devices battery is dead.

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2016 5:46 pm
denno offline

I have the heartbeat trigger set up but am stumped by how to have it reset a timer device.

Posted on
Sat May 21, 2016 6:06 pm
hamw offline

for heartbeat:
Trigger: Insteon Group 4 (ON) received
Condition: None
Action: Restart timer

for timer expired, make a new trigger:
Trigger: Timer Expired
Action: Send an SMS message via Google Voice --you need to install Google Voice and set up Google SMS.

Please check Perry's plugin. I have not used it but he says it handles a lot of these complex setups. If I hadn't already set up a jillion timers and triggers I'd give it a try.

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:33 am
Bollar offline

matt (support) wrote:
Agreed it should. We'll look into add that.

I wish Indigo had a unified way to deal with battery powered sensors of all types, along with a notification system for devices that haven't reported in recently. On the Z-Wave side, there are several scripts that give me confidence that they're being dealt with, but the Insteon sensors are a mess and I have several dozen triggers trying to capture battery state and deal with them.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 am
johnpolasek offline

hamw wrote:
for heartbeat:
Trigger: Insteon Group 4 (ON) received
Action: Restart timer

for timer expired, make a new trigger:
Trigger: Timer Expired
Action: Send an SMS message via Google Voice --you need to install Google Voice and set up Google SMS.

Please check Perry's plugin. I have not used it but he says it handles a lot of these complex setups. If I hadn't already set up a jillion timers and triggers I'd give it a try.

What I'm planning on doing (been too lazy to do it) is create a single trigger for each leak and hidden door sensor:

Trigger Insteon Group 4(ON) received {heartbeat}
Condition none
Actions
Remove Delayed actions for Trigger (this trigger)
Send Pushover Alert; delay action 25 hours

Which should keep resetting the alert further into the future as long as the sensor lives and alert me within a day and an hour if the sensor quits talking.

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Bollar wrote:
matt (support) wrote:
Agreed it should. We'll look into add that.

I wish Indigo had a unified way to deal with battery powered sensors of all types, along with a notification system for devices that haven't reported in recently. On the Z-Wave side, there are several scripts that give me confidence that they're being dealt with, but the Insteon sensors are a mess and I have several dozen triggers trying to capture battery state and deal with them.

A unified approach is definitely something we want to see in a future version. I wrote a script a while back that I use to try to help.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 pm
johnpolasek offline

jay (support) wrote:
A unified approach is definitely something we want to see in a future version. I wrote a script a while back that I use to try to help.

And while your're looking at giving us the ability to trigger on "mission critical" events such as no heartbeat , could you please also look into the ability to trigger on "No Ack" to commands? (I know it's a bit off topic, but strongly related to the larger issue of having an application able to respond robustly to problems).

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:38 pm
Bollar offline

jay (support) wrote:

Yes, Yours is one of the one I have used to manage Z-Wave devices. Do you have one tucked away to deal with Insteon Motion & Leak Sensors? I assume they have some .props stored that could be used to check days without a heartbeat, if nothing else...

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Bollar wrote:
Yes, Yours is one of the one I have used to manage Z-Wave devices. Do you have one tucked away to deal with Insteon Motion & Leak Sensors? I assume they have some .props stored that could be used to check days without a heartbeat, if nothing else...

Perry's Cynical Behaviors works quite well for my Insteon Leak detectors, and my battery powered Z-wave devices:

Code: Select all
   Cynical Behaviors               checking all leak sensors; tolerance 262800 seconds
   Cynical Behaviors               Ice Maker last heartbeat Fri Dec  2 07:23:04 2016 delta 29931.51826095581
   Cynical Behaviors               Dishwasher last heartbeat Thu Dec  1 16:40:07 2016 delta 82908.2890329361
   Cynical Behaviors               Water Filters last heartbeat Thu Dec  1 16:18:53 2016 delta 84181.72551298141
   Cynical Behaviors               Washing Machine last heartbeat Fri Dec  2 05:48:50 2016 delta 35585.16846013069

Code: Select all
Dec 2, 2016, 11:41:53 AM 12/2
   Cynical Behaviors               checking all battery devices
   Cynical Behaviors               Garage Entry Door Lock battery level 70
   Cynical Behaviors               Large Garage Door Tilt Sensor battery level 100
   Cynical Behaviors               Small Garage Door Tilt Sensor battery level 100

I don't have any Insteon Motion Detectors currently installed, so I don't know what it does with those.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:51 pm
Bollar offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Perry's Cynical Behaviors works quite well for my Insteon Leak detectors, and my battery powered Z-wave devices:

I don't have any Insteon Motion Detectors currently installed, so I don't know what it does with those.

I will check it out.