First Alert Wireless Smoke & Fire Alarm (ZSMOKE/ZCOMBO)

Posted on
Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:52 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: First Alert Wireless Smoke & Fire Alarm (ZSMOKE/ZCOMBO)

I have three ZCOMBO units and zero false alarms.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:59 pm
markf424 offline

Thanks. I think I'll go with ZCOMBOs or just move to another manufacturer. Enabling them again is a risk I am unwilling to take.

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:34 am
katiaf offline

I have ZSMOKEs and ZCOMBOs in my system. I have triggers for low battery, but several times the built in chirp has started alerting us of low battery before the triggers (not fun when it is at 3 or 4 am!). I believe my triggers are too low, they were at 25 so now I changed them to 50. Does anyone know what is the right number to use for a low battery trigger?

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:52 am
DaveL17 offline

Z-Wave devices are somewhat fickle in how they report battery status. There's nothing wrong with your trigger level per se--in fact, I'd say 5 or 10 percent would be more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:46 pm
markf424 offline

katiaf wrote:
I have ZSMOKEs and ZCOMBOs in my system. I have triggers for low battery, but several times the built in chirp has started alerting us of low battery before the triggers (not fun when it is at 3 or 4 am!). I believe my triggers are too low, they were at 25 so now I changed them to 50. Does anyone know what is the right number to use for a low battery trigger?

I have the same issue with these devices. I haven't had issues with my other devices, though I'm not disputing DaveL17's experience. I set the alert to 50% and it works. You could also just check the last battery status when you hear the first chirp; this would provide some kind of context.

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:39 pm
zama36 offline

So I am new to Indigo. Still on a trial version of Indigo Pro.

In my new home, I'm going down the Z-wave path for security, fire alerting and home automation. I originally went with Samsung Smartthings but quickly got frustrated with the latency resulting from the Samsung service. I liked the Indigo and the idea of a personal server running things with an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

That being said, is it possible to define the states of the ZCOMBO in Indigo? Smartthings is able to distinguish between "test" and "alert." Can that be defined in Indigo? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Zama36

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:30 am
eme jota ce offline

zama36 wrote:
So I am new to Indigo. Still on a trial version of Indigo Pro.

In my new home, I'm going down the Z-wave path for security, fire alerting and home automation. I originally went with Samsung Smartthings but quickly got frustrated with the latency resulting from the Samsung service. I liked the Indigo and the idea of a personal server running things with an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

That being said, is it possible to define the states of the ZCOMBO in Indigo? Smartthings is able to distinguish between "test" and "alert." Can that be defined in Indigo? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Zama36

I use the Insteon Smoke Bridge here.

It can receive signals from the First Alert OneLink smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. There are 7 types of "On" signals received, which included test, smoke.... which I use as triggers in Insteon.

I have not discovered a way to have Indigo control the smoke alarms. For example, if smoke from the kitchen (cooking) sets off a false alarm, I would need to press the Hush button on one of the OneLink detectors instead of having Indigo hush the false alarm for me.

Posted on
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

BAH, I hate resurrecting an old thread, hate, but this is the topic for the device that I need help with and it's curated so...

I just picked one of these up (ZCOMBO) and I'm not seeing the Smoke and CO2 sensors. Is this a limitation of this device that it only sees the smoke detector portion? I'm used to my various Fibaro devices that will create multiple Indigo items for a single device (i.e., leak sensor also creates a tamper and temperature sensor).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
BAH, I hate resurrecting an old thread, hate, but this is the topic for the device that I need help with and it's curated so...

I just picked one of these up (ZCOMBO) and I'm not seeing the Smoke and CO2 sensors. Is this a limitation of this device that it only sees the smoke detector portion? I'm used to my various Fibaro devices that will create multiple Indigo items for a single device (i.e., leak sensor also creates a tamper and temperature sensor).

It doesn't report CO2 separately - it just reports a single event regardless of how it was triggered (well, I think it reports a test differently than an actual trigger, but when reporting a trigger it doesn't distinguish between a smoke and CO2 event).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
It doesn't report C02 separately - it just reports a single event regardless of how it was triggered.

So "on" represents that either a smoke alarm or a CO2 alarm has been raised with no way to differentiate between which is which.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct.

[EDIT] At least, that's what the ones I have do, but they are also pretty old (3-4 years).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:56 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Another question regarding these devices is how often are they supposed to be phoning home to Indigo? I installed it a couple of weeks ago and noticed that it didn't update Indigo at all for about five days, so I did a self test and then, of course, Indigo got updated. Does it only update when it either goes off or does a self test or are they supposed to be phoning home more regularly (i.e., battery level reporting)? It hasn't updated Indigo since my last self test four days ago.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:35 pm
toille27 offline

My two do not report back at any regular interval. I just looked and mine last updated 8 days ago. If I hit the test button they always update Indigo immediately so I assume reliable reporting when there is an actual alarm. Same goes for battery level. I recall testing one in October and watched the battery level go from 100% to 0% the moment I hit the test button.

Posted on
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:58 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

toille27 wrote:
My two do not report back at any regular interval. I just looked and mine last updated 8 days ago. If I hit the test button they always update Indigo immediately so I assume reliable reporting when there is an actual alarm.

Thank you :)

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:58 pm
peszko offline

Anybody know where I could get them in Canada?