INSTEON Water Leak Sensor

Posted on
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Water Leak Sensor

Bollar wrote:
Yes, Yours is one of the one I have used to manage Z-Wave devices. Do you have one tucked away to deal with Insteon Motion & Leak Sensors? I assume they have some .props stored that could be used to check days without a heartbeat, if nothing else...

Honestly? No. I've found over the years that the Insteon sensors in general are just not reliable enough for my purposes. Z-Wave sensors are much more reliable IMO.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:17 am
brentb offline

jay (support) wrote:
Bollar wrote:
Yes, Yours is one of the one I have used to manage Z-Wave devices. Do you have one tucked away to deal with Insteon Motion & Leak Sensors? I assume they have some .props stored that could be used to check days without a heartbeat, if nothing else...

Honestly? No. I've found over the years that the Insteon sensors in general are just not reliable enough for my purposes. Z-Wave sensors are much more reliable IMO.

Jay do you have a recommendation for a favourite Z-wave water sensor then?

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't currently have any leak sensors. In my former house, I used an I/O Linc with a water sensor attached. It seemed more reliable than the Leak Sensor, but I never had a leak after installing it so honestly I don't know for sure.

Indigo supports the Fortrezz sensors though, which I would expect to be quite reliable (others who use them can chime in). That's what I'm planning on installing in my new house once I can turn my attention to my home again. The Fibaro sensor is also supported.

I believe Aeotec, Everspring, and Zipato also make water sensors. Not sure if they will work with Indigo out of the box, but they might not be too difficult to add. One of the hopes for the new subscription model is that it will allow us to add new device definitions much more quickly. Once someone gets a device sync attempt to us and depending on the complexity of the work, we hope to be able to turn those around much faster.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:32 pm
brentb offline

jay (support) wrote:
I don't currently have any leak sensors. In my former house, I used an I/O Linc with a water sensor attached. It seemed more reliable than the Leak Sensor, but I never had a leak after installing it so honestly I don't know for sure.

Indigo supports the Fortrezz sensors though, which I would expect to be quite reliable (others who use them can chime in). That's what I'm planning on installing in my new house once I can turn my attention to my home again. The Fibaro sensor is also supported.

I believe Aeotec, Everspring, and Zipato also make water sensors. Not sure if they will work with Indigo out of the box, but they might not be too difficult to add. One of the hopes for the new subscription model is that it will allow us to add new device definitions much more quickly. Once someone gets a device sync attempt to us and depending on the complexity of the work, we hope to be able to turn those around much faster.

Ok Thanks. I'l look into those

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:06 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Finally got around to trying a leak sensor and am curious how it's supposed to behave.
When it senses moisture it turns on fine, but after I dry it off it never sends an off.
If within my alert trigger action I turn it off to reset, it will simply turn back on again,
regardless if it's completely dry.

Seems to take a good hour or so to get to a point where if I turn it off it stays off.

Is that normal operation?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:29 pm
johnpolasek offline

. They have done a pretty good job for me over the past 5 years or so; after a pretty expensive ceiling repair after a drip pan drain in the attic plugged up, I put half a dozen in under the sinks, washing machine, hot water heaters as well as the AC drip pans. I'll admit I never tested the time to dry before reset... I have had 2 of them trip since I put them in; the one under the hot water heater that failed was flooded to the point that the electronics were trashed (the heater was in a pan with a 2" lip, but the drain on the pan was about half an inch above the bottom). The one that tripped under the sink when the RO system's push in connector developed a split in the plastic, I left on the counter and didn't reset for almost a full day before I got the replacement connector in place and put it back down Given Jay's recommendation, , I'll probably phase the Insteons out and replace with Z-waves rather than replace batteries when they die even though I've had pretty good luck with them..

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:27 pm
JohnS offline

Jay,
I don’t know what I did, but… I have 12 insteon leak sensors that have all stopped issuing a heartbeat. They all can issue a “sensor dry” and a “sensor wet”. To try to fix it, I took one sensor and performed a reset using a new battery. I then successfully did a “define and sync”. It has been over 26 hours and I still see no heartbeat message for that sensor in the indigo log.

I then deleted the leak sensor from indigo and reinstalled it and performed a “define and sync”. Again, after 28 hours there was no heartbeat.

Any help would be appreciated. John