INSTEON MorningLinc

Posted on
Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:31 pm
kw123 offline

MorningLinc Milock communication problem

I have 4 doors with Milocks and one morningLinc.

with morninglinc insteon command:
3 doors work perfectly.
on --> lock
off--> unlock.

the forth does:
on --> lock and after 5 secs unlock
off --> unlock

without morninglinc and with remote key it works fine, manually as well.

any suggestions?

Karl

Posted on
Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: INSTEON MorningLinc

Sounds like it might be a range issue. Does it work more reliably when the MorningLinc is placed closer to the 4th door?

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 am
kw123 offline

Mlinc was next to door 1,2,3,4 no change

also took out batteries, only door 4 active ..

next steps:

reset morninglinc (factory reset) and begin from scratch i guess.

Karl

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 am
nsheldon offline

You may also try resetting the MiLock itself. That would require you to re-add all the keys (and MorningLinc) of course, but might be worth a try if resetting the MorningLinc has no effect.

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 am
kw123 offline

did a power factory reset ... hold set button while plugging in for > 3sec.

entering new links
now only ON works no OFF.. I guess this is user error.

Question: now the links are still defined in indigo. How do I get rid of them.

anyway it is getting late, have to leave something for tomorrow..

Karl

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Karl,

You should be able to delete the links from Indigo's PowerLinc link editor dialog (where you added them). The process with the MorningLinc is a pain though, since Indigo cannot directly write the links into it so you have to follow the process of deleting in the Indigo UI which puts the PowerLinc into unlink mode then press the SET button on the ML. Once you delete them, add them back and hopefully it will work.

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:49 am
Dewster35 offline

matt (support) wrote:
You should be able to delete the links from Indigo's PowerLinc link editor dialog (where you added them). The process with the MorningLinc is a pain though, since Indigo cannot directly write the links into it so you have to follow the process of deleting in the Indigo UI which puts the PowerLinc into unlink mode then press the SET button on the ML. Once you delete them, add them back and hopefully it will work.

I'm curious Matt... isn't this thing basically two IOlincs in one box? Why is it so hard to deal with?

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:05 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Dewster35 wrote:
I'm curious Matt... isn't this thing basically two IOlincs in one box? Why is it so hard to deal with?

It seems to be quite different. It doesn't respond to direct ON/OFF commands, probably because historically those commands could be send by a module that isn't yet linked with it (so it would be a security risk). It could only accept those commands from modules already linked to it, but I guess they didn't go that route. So instead you have to physically create the links between the two modules and can only use PowerLinc Scene commands to turn it on/off.

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 am
nsheldon offline

I've never needed to use PowerLinc Scenes to turn the MorningLinc on or off. I use standard on/off appliance/device controls to turn on/off the MorningLinc (and the associated lock). It's tricky to get this to work though. You have to Define and Sync it twice... once for lock and once for unlock. I had a hard time with this because you have to get the button press sequence on the MorningLinc right when selecting which of the two lock states to link to. I had to follow the SmartLabs linking instructions very closely. It's also possible to link the locked state to either on or off commands. I'll paraphrase the SmartLabs instructions below assuming that when you turn the MorningLinc ON, it turns the lock ON (locked).

Linking LOCKED to Turn ON Command.

1. If necessary, tap the MorningLinc’s Set button (once) to put it into the locked state.
  2. Open the Indigo device's Define and Sync dialog (double-click the device, click Define-and-Sync).
  3. Press and hold MorningLinc’s Set button for 3 seconds. The MorningLinc Status LED will flash once and then turn on solid (indicating that the door is locked).
  4. Wait for the linking process to complete. If it hangs waiting for a reply from the MorningLinc, repeat step 3 and allow the sync to complete.

Linking UNLOCKED to Turn OFF Command.

1. If necessary, tap the MorningLinc’s Set button (once) to put it into the unlocked state.
  2. Open the Indigo device's Define and Sync dialog (double-click the device, click Define-and-Sync).
  3. Double-tap the MorningLinc’s Set button and wait for 3 seconds before moving on to the next step.
  4. Press and hold the MorningLinc’s Set button for 3 seconds. The MorningLinc Status LED will flash once and then turn off (indicating that the door is unlocked).
  5. Wait for the linking process to complete. If it hangs waiting for a reply from the MorningLinc, repeat both steps 3 and 4 and allow the sync to complete.

Steps 3 and 4 for the UNLOCKED condition are very important. If you don't double-tap the Set button and let go of it, waiting at least 3 seconds before pressing-and-holding the Set button again in step 4, this will not work.

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Very interesting... thanks for the info.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:55 pm
jltnol offline

So I just got the new Kevo lock in and installed on my front door, and while it does work as advertised for the most part, I was obviously under the mistaken impression that I could lock and unlock it from afar, which isn't possible and doesn't look like it ever will be.

Now, I'm considering the MI Locks… but am curious as to whether I actually need the Insteon MorningLink controller, or if my 2413U do the trick?Lastly, Morning Link says no fees for the first 5 years… not exactly sure how the fee structure works, but I'm guessing with Indigo, in theory, I'll never need to pay a subscripting fee, right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

J
Last edited by jltnol on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm
nsheldon offline

Yes. You'll need the MorningLinc. The 2413U is only an INSTEON and X10 interface. Since there aren't any locks (that I know of) that are directly compatible with INSTEON or X10 (those aren't secure protocols), you have to use some sort of bridging interface, like the MorningLinc module.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:33 pm
Dewster35 offline

No fees with the MI locks. Personally, I would go with some sort of Z-wave lock and get the vera lite over the MI locks. If you've got two locks, the price difference doesn't look as bad.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 pm
jltnol offline

Thanks for the input guys..

I'll do some more research!

Posted on
Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 am
nsosnicki offline

nsheldon wrote:
I've never needed to use PowerLinc Scenes to turn the MorningLinc on or off. I use standard on/off appliance/device controls to turn on/off the MorningLinc (and the associated lock).

This worked for me. Thanks for the tip.