Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

Make sure you resync starting with the device(s) closest to the Z-Stick and work your way towards the target device. Doing it the other way may not help.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:37 am
CrazyFin offline

1. TX power in normal mode versus PA mode and RX sensivity?
Has anyone find specs indicating what the transmitted power is in normal versus PA mode as well as the measured RX sensivity?

The only thing I can see in the specs are:
Max Operating Current: 98mA in PA mode or 40mA in normal mode
Operating Temperature: 0ºC to 50ºC
Storage Temperature: -20ºC to 70ºC
Operating Distance: Up to 500 feet / 150 metres outdoors in normal mode or 1310 feet / 400 metres in PA mode

Looking at the specs for the stick Z-Wave.ME ZME UZB1 it has TX power +1 dBm and RX sensivity of -104dBm: https://www.z-wave.me/fileadmin/downloa ... Manual.pdf

2. How do I enable PA mode or is this enabled by default/automatically as soon as it is powered by a USB port?

Posted on
Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:18 am
CrazyFin offline

Got back an answer from Chris Cheng at Aeon Labs yesterday evening.
These are the specs according to the chipset used on the Z-Wave stick:
 Receiver sensitivity with SAW filter down to -103dBm @ 9.6kbps (compared to -104dBm for the Z-Wave.ME UZB1 stick)
 Transmit power with SAW filter up to +4dBm (compared to +1dBm for Z-Wave.ME UZB1 stick)
 Z-Wave 9.6/40/100kbps data rate

So the ZW090 from Aeon Labs is somewhat stronger in TX compared to Z-Wave.ME UZB1 stick but somehwat weaker in RX. Remember though that the specs above are on chipset level and I am not sure how the specs at https://www.z-wave.me/fileadmin/downloa ... Manual.pdf for the Z-Wave.ME UZB1 stick are measured.

Aeon Labs said they will get back with me with actual measured specs (if possible but I guess they should be available to get through the certification process).

PA Mode: Seems to be enabled by default, i.e. MAX RF power always on unless the user/software changes it.
Indigo has not support for this but changing parameter 220 of the Z-Wave stick from max 10 for maximum RF power level down to 1 would set it to the lowest power level.

The engineering document with detailed info can be found at https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/a ... 6009584703

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:51 pm
steveoidm offline

Is there a way in indigo to send a command to the z-stick to disable the leds? Command info can be found on this thread.

http://domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=20

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo can send raw Z-Wave commands to modules on the Z-Wave network, but it doesn't have UI to send raw commands directly to the Z-Stick itself. Adding some of the configuration parameters of the Z-Stick itself is on our feature request list.

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:52 am
trevorsmith offline

As a newcomer to HA (ie this is my first try!) I have installed the Z-Stick ZW090-C and seem to have managed to pair it to a POPP TRV (which is a rebadged Danfoss, as I understand it, but with firmware which allows the currently-detected temp to be sent back to the host).

Indigo tells me the TRV is there, and indeed what the current temp of the room is (as far as the TRV knows, anyway) but when I try to adjust the SET temp of the TRV with Indigo, the device in the device list shows a state of No Ack, which suggests to me the conversation is going too well.

Might I have paired the device incorrectly, somehow?

I had a feeling HA might be a bit fiddly but this was supposed to be a simple starting point to test the water.

I am running the PRO version on a Mac, with Seirra 10.12.

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The TRV probably probably needs a device definition (we might just need to point it to the Danfoss definition – which Danfoss model is it?). Can you wake it and re-sync it in Indigo, then copy/paste the Event Log window contents for me?

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:54 am
trevorsmith offline

ooh, you're stretching my knowledge already :D

the TRV is this one:

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-t ... from-popp/

Right now, I can't get the damn thing to connect at all....it has an antenna icon that is flashing, meaning it can't communicate with the Z-Stick...it was working better than this yesterday. I have tried excluding the device from the ZStick,, then re-adding it, I have tried resetting the ZStick and the TRV to factory defaults and trying again...all of which have now failed to make it connect.

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:58 am
trevorsmith offline

Just tried to include the device again and log window says

9 Oct 2016, 17:53:24
Z-Wave Syncing - started for "003 - Setpoint Thermostat"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: - none -
Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "003 - Setpoint Thermostat"
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed to assign return route
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed
Z-Wave Error No response from "003 - Setpoint Thermostat". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

9 Oct 2016, 17:54:53
Z-Wave Error serial port communication error: read failed: [Errno 6] Device not configured
Z-Wave Error Z-Wave 3.95 static controller might be disconnected
Z-Wave Error silently retrying serial connection every 5.0 seconds
Interface Failure lost connection with interface

9 Oct 2016, 17:55:28
Z-Wave connected to Z-Wave 3.95 static controller interface on /dev/cu.usbmodem1411 (firmware 1.00)
Z-Wave found module included in controller with no matching device (missing or disabled): 003 - Setpoint Thermostat

9 Oct 2016, 17:55:55
Z-Wave Syncing - assigned return route

9 Oct 2016, 17:56:36
Z-Wave Error Timeout waiting for "003 - Setpoint Thermostat". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. The fact that I cant seem to get it to talk to the ZStick suggests I am doing something wrong

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:08 am
trevorsmith offline

lol I just tried yet again and it has connected this time:
9 Oct 2016, 18:05:51
Z-Wave Syncing - assigned return route
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Danfoss - 0002, Setpoint Thermostat - 0115A010
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved protocol version 3.67, app version 1.00
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Thermostat : Setpoint Thermostat (04 : 08 : 04, base 43)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 80v1 43v1 84v2 46v1 86v1 81v1 8Fv1 31v6 72v1 75v1
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved wake interval of 30 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - device "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" wake interval changed to 60 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - synced server clock to module (18:05, Sunday)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved battery level of 67%
Z-Wave Syncing - created device "003 - Setpoint Thermostat"
Z-Wave Syncing - complete
Z-Wave sent "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" temperature status request
Z-Wave sent "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" heat setpoint status request
Z-Wave sent "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" cool setpoint status request
Z-Wave received "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" temperature update to 19.66 °C
Z-Wave received "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" units changed to °C
Z-Wave received "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" heat setpoint is 21.00 °C

but when I try to change the setpoint through the Indigo devices screen, I get a status of no ack and this log:

Z-Wave Error send "003 - Setpoint Thermostat" decrease heat setpoint failed

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:49 am
trevorsmith offline

I THINK the issue is that the device goes to sleep so cant connect. Does that mean I need to make Indigo wake it up before sending a command to it? I can wake it by pressings activation button, then when I send a Setpoint command from Indigo, it works fine.

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

This thread is old but I wanted to follow-up that Indigo 7.0 is now available (has been for a while). It adds supports for dozens of new Z-Wave devices, including the POPP Radiator Thermostat (TRV).

Posted on
Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:11 pm
vic13 offline

So I know that officially, Mac OSX Sierra is not supported. I needed to upgrade for another reason, and also upgraded to Indigo 7.0.3.

Now my Z-Wave devices aren't working so well. It seems that I am having trouble communicating with Z-Wave devices more than about 30 feet away. I can include them by taking the Z-Stick to the device, but when I get back to the Mac, I can't sync. I've placed Z-Wave devices in between, but devices more than 30 feet away can't sync.

I can optimize the network and Indigo can tell that the device is a neighbor of something closer, but it seems that when trying to sync, it doesn't quite make the hops back.

Anyone have any ideas. Everything was working until the two upgrades (that yes, I shouldn't have done simultaneously). It seems like the Z-Stick isn't transmitting or receiving at the old power levels.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 am
CrazyFin offline

I am using the Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus GEN5 (ZW090) on Mac OSX Sierra with Indigo 7.0.3 on m development Mac Mini. I use the older Z.-stick on my prod machine but will soon move the ZW090 to my prod system and replace the old Z-Stick.

I have no problems with the ZW090 on Indigo 7.0.3 and Mac OSX Sierra. Communication distance is excellent and the speed also good.

Only thing I can think of right now is that you could try the ZW090 in another USB port.
I would stop Indigo first, shut down the Mac, move the Z-Stick to another USB port and then boot up again. Make sure you change the port in Indigo after everything has started up.

Posted on
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 am
vic13 offline

CrazyFin wrote:
I am using the Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus GEN5 (ZW090) on Mac OSX Sierra with Indigo 7.0.3 on m development Mac Mini. I use the older Z.-stick on my prod machine but will soon move the ZW090 to my prod system and replace the old Z-Stick.

I have no problems with the ZW090 on Indigo 7.0.3 and Mac OSX Sierra. Communication distance is excellent and the speed also good.

Only thing I can think of right now is that you could try the ZW090 in another USB port.
I would stop Indigo first, shut down the Mac, move the Z-Stick to another USB port and then boot up again. Make sure you change the port in Indigo after everything has started up.

I have tried different USB ports, and even tried using a powered USB hub. Using a different port doesn't seem to make any difference, but I couldn't get Indigo to see the Z-Stick on the hub, even when I go to the Z-Wave configuration.