Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

Posted on
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

I'm not sure what is going wrong here. Sierra should work okay (lots of users are using the Z-Stick + Sierra, and we've tested it here as well), although I think there might be some USB problems or incompatibilities with older Macs that have been upgraded to Sierra. I'm surprised that when it is in the USB hub it doesn't show at all. That makes me wonder if the Z-Stick is malfunctioning, especially if it was working well previously but no longer is.

On the other hand, if nearby devices are working but ones beyond 30 feet or so aren't, then I think it is a RF or range problem. Try unplugging all RF electronics you have to see if that helps. When you do the network optimize, are the modules you've put between the Z-Stick and the unreachable modules finding the modules that aren't reachable? The Event Log should show you the details.

Posted on
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:24 pm
esprits300 offline

Has anyone successfully gotten the aeon labs gen5 z-stick to work with ESXi 6.5? ive tried it and I get a rcvd unexpected bytes (sent ACK) error. Ive even changed the ESXi drivers for usb back to not using vmkusb. I realize this is not a supported config but I wanted to see if anyone else out there has this working? thanks!

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:37 am
esprits300 offline

I used the command esxcli system module set -m=vmkusb -e=FALSE but im still getting the same error. it doesn't seem to matter on or off in my case. I checked the adapter and it is functioning normally. I ordered a new one just in case. The ESX server is a Mac mini quad core (2012 I think) and has other USB devices in passthrough that work. ive tried switching USB ports and all kinds of other swaps/tests but its the same thing. it gets data from the controller, just doesn't get it formatted properly. im using MacOS 10.13.3 for the vm. my only other choice is to try another host, which is not possible at this time but something ill work on later. if anyone has any ideas, id be grateful, otherwise I know im not in a supported config.... thanks again for verifying it at least should work!

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 am
esprits300 offline

It is directly in the Mac. no I haven't tried it being the only thing. I didnt see how that would matter but ill go try that now and see what happens. thanks!

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm
esprits300 offline

no luck. same error. im hoping the new z-stick will work. thanks!

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:38 pm
esprits300 offline

For anyone who MIGHT have this issue, I found that changing the profile on the ESXi host to MacOS 10.10 worked. I had it at 10.12 (the highest it would go). must be something in there with the drivers that isnt working properly. modified it to 10.10 and it worked immediately! thank you for your assistance!

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 am
Craig_H offline

Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090) - LED disco dis-able;

Is there any way to clam down the LED display on the Z-Stick? It's flashing blue - yellow - red at about a second per color.

I thought I had read control might be added in v7, but can't find any reference to this option.

I already have some white tape over the unit to reduce the brightness a bit, but would prefer not to cover it completely.

It's mounted in a spot that provides excellent coverage, and would like to keep it there. If it could be setup to just flash for errors or such it would be great.

Thanks,

Craig

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 pm
akimball offline

Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

I know not of the actual command but perhaps putting a spinning mirrored ball in front of it will make it less conspicuous?

...or else I would use a piece of opaque black electrical tape....and if you don’t like that color you can put a piece of white electrical tape over that.

...as a last resort, there is information on Reddit.com under “Disable Aeotec z-stick gen5 blinking lights”
Last edited by akimball on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Different Computers offline

My solution was to put it in the network closet in my office, with the door closed.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 pm
akimball offline

Mine is on the back of a large flatscreen tv... with the macmini. If you have a few zwave devices and a decent mesh network you don’t rely on the range of the zwave stick.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:42 pm
wgstarks offline

I’ve been using Insteon for years but was thinking of giving z-wave a try. I’ve got a storage building that I thought I might install a z-wave door sensor in for a simple security system. The z stick gen 5 shows an open air range of 100 meters (328 feet) but that doesn’t really tell me anything. Is it reasonable to expect the stick to transmit/receive through 2 plaster and vinyl walls and a distance of 50-60 feet with no other z-wave devices between?

Mac Mini macOS 10.15.2 Indigo 7.4.0

Posted on
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:51 pm
wgstarks offline

Thanks but there’s not really anything in between. Are the repeaters rated for outdoor use? Maybe I should just stick with Insteon since the building is powered from the same meter.

Posted on
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 pm
wgstarks offline

Thanks. Sounds like it’ll be a lot cheaper just to stick with Insteon.

Posted on
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:46 pm
sumocomputers offline

Problems with Aeotec Z Stick Freezing Up

Problems with Aeotec Z Stick Freezing Up

I have an issue where my Aeotec Z Stick becomes becomes unresponsive (rapidly flashing alternating lights), which happens maybe every 1-2 weeks, and it is driving me nuts. I have documented the behavior in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi0m8gvuh5h04 ... 2.mp4?dl=0

To fix the behavior I can physically unplug/replug the stick, restart Indigo server, or restart the Mac Mini. All work to get the Z Stick back online.

This happened on my 2011 Mac Mini with Sierra/High Sierra plugged directly in to USB or a powered USB 2.0 hub.
This is also now happening on my 2018 Mac Mini with Mojave plugged directly in to USB or a powered USB 2.0 hub.

I can't really find anything in the logs that would point to a trigger, but happy to go back and look.

I am on Indigo 7.3 and macOS 10.14.5

I have a few Z-Wave devices:
2 x Schlage Connect Locks
3 x iNovelli Outlets
1 x GE Outlet
1 x GE In Wall Fan Controller

I have the following Z-Wave plugin:
Z-Wave Lock Manager v1.0.52

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

From that video, it looks to me like a failed Z-Stick. I've never seen that behavior myself, and I don't believe we've had any reports of it. Perhaps contact Aeotec and see what they have to say about it?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn