Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:10 pm
anothersphere offline

Re: Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

I use a usb extension cable for my USB stick.
That way I can move it to an ideal orientation and away from any immediate 'pollution' from the Mac Mini (wifi, bluetooth) and the shadow of the MacMini itself.
Plus its easier to unplug to go teach it devices.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The issue with hubs is one of timing when used with a device that's fundamentally a serial device. Not all hubs are created equal (apparently) and sometimes the timing of serial communications gets off (periodic delays, etc). These are things that no amount of trickery in software will fix - it's just the nature of the communications. This isn't an OS or Indigo issue really.

Having said that, there are bugs in El Capitan around USB so we recommend avoiding that OS release until Apple figures them out.

Unfortunately, there isn't a single list of "acceptable" hub choices, because they are hit or miss.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:27 am
sarahcat offline

Well, that explains why. I'm going to be using another Mac Mini for Indigo and I'll be connecting the MODEMs to it, so I can leave it running Yosemite. It's too late for my i7 Mini.

Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Can one or some of you with the Gen5 stick confirm whether you are getting the stick node ID (typically node 1) in the device neighbour reports?

With this new Gen5 Stick - All my devices do not have 1 as a neighbour? (most of which are within 2 metres of stick with no obstacles)

This differs from old stick, stick is in same port (no hub) in mac mini
Why is Neighbour #1 not there???

Old Z-Stick Neighbours - note the 1 - neighbours - controller there

Gen 5 - Stick - appears that controller not there ??

On some further non-indigo reading in seems like this can be a cosmetic issue for some Z-wave libraries.

Thanks

My post here
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15115&p=106212&hilit=gen5+aeon#p106212

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:50 am
RonA offline

I am having an issue including devices with my Gen 5 stick now, when I unplug it and try to go into inclusion mode, it blinks blue once then red once then off. Normally it would blink blue for some time until it times out and you can include while its blinking blue. So as of now I cannot include. I can however hold onto the button and put it into exclusion mode and that works fine. I also appears to have no normal operational issues, works fine.

I have a few new Gen 5 aeon sockets I want to use to replace older sockets so need to figure this out. Will log a ticket with Aeon but just curious if anyone here has seen the same issue?

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:03 am
lochnesz offline

Strange, I haven't had this problem, but please keep us updated on your progress with Aeon.

Peter

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:51 am
DazaG offline

I've found that the Gen5 Stick won't work with El Capitan 10.11.1 but once upgraded to 10.11.2 the the Gen5 stick shows up as /dev/tty.usbmodem1471 and can be selected as a usbmodem in Indigo.

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:31 pm
akimball offline

Hi, I'm interested in extending my home automation to Z-wave. Lots of experience with Insteon products and no experience with Z-wave.

1) Given the size of my home (about 65' x 65' x 3-floors) will the Aeon Labs Z-Stick be able to cover my starting devices?
2) Related to my first question, I'm assuming that Z-wave is a 'mesh network' and so the more devices I have the stronger the network?
3) I'm interested in the Fibaro FGMS-001 Z-wave sensors to start; do these work with Z-Stick and Indigo?

I'm hoping for some reassurance that I'll be purchasing the correct hardware... and I'm open to suggestions.

TIA,

-Al

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 8:01 am
mat offline

My experience with a new 5......

akimball wrote:

1) Given the size of my home (about 65' x 65' x 3-floors) will the Aeon Labs Z-Stick be able to cover my starting devices?
2) Related to my first question, I'm assuming that Z-wave is a 'mesh network' and so the more devices I have the stronger the network?
3) I'm interested in the Fibaro FGMS-001 Z-wave sensors to start; do these work with Z-Stick and Indigo?

1) the stick itself is unlikely to cover the whole house. Mine failed to connect to the only device plugged in 10m (30') away through 2 brick walls. I didn't expect it too, tbh, but am in the processes of setting up a new system, so tested for you. I'll run maximum tests for you at some point this week, but the range will be dependent on the local environment - wall construction, etc etc
2) The mesh network will be your key. Its not the strength of the signal that increase, rather the range, with most zwave devices acting as notes to the mesh network, thus increasing your network range. The approach I would take would be to replace or add new devices closest to the stick, then working away. Repeaters are available, but I've had no experience with them, and do not know if they are supported by indigo.
3) not checked.

Hope that helps.

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 8:23 am
akimball offline

Thanks for the help. I wrote my post nearly 2 months back and since then took the z-wave plunge. So far I have 4 energy sensing switches, a fabrio motion sensor, a water sensor, a whole-home energy meter and a repeater.

You're right, my devices didn't cover the house and after 8 devices it's still spotty at best. I've noticed the motion sensor only works at about half the locations in the home even with the repeater...but now I know it's simply a matter of installing a few more well placed devices. I like the energy meters....satisfies the geek in me.

I'm running through several walls to one device but have devices now on all three floors....with half of them clumped in the south end of the basement.

-Al

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 9:07 am
mat offline

Hahaha, didn't see the date on the post - I'm just catching up on the last year and must have scrolled back too many pages!!!!

Glad your getting on well with zwave, it was the turning point for a stable system for me when I changed from x10 a few years back!

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 9:27 am
akimball offline

I was fully insteon (200+ devices) with a very strong mesh now. the zwave mesh will need improvement. I'm assuming that battery powered zwave devices don't help the mesh since they only wake up on periodic intervals. Looking for a few more places to place energy sensors.....washers or dryers come to mind but wish I could find a dual phase 220VAC switch/energy sensor like the Aeon DSC06106-ZWUS is to 110VAC devices. I'm happy with the insteon Switchlincs for most all else... Zwave devices tend to be both more expensive and less expensive than Insteon but more versatile.

My fear with zwave is not always knowing what is supported by indigo. ...understandably more difficult to support because of the plethora of Manufactures.

Perhaps I should be looking at X10 220VAC energy sensors?

-Al

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 9:32 am
howartp offline

Akimball,

One thing I did was bought half a dozen plug-in sockets (TKB or Popp) - I wasn't using them all for actual devices straight away, but I plugged them in in hidden places (behind cupboards etc) where they helped form and extend the mesh (once i had included them) even though they weren't doing anything interesting.

Also, I presume you're resyncing devices as you move them around or adding them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 am
howartp offline

(Sorry, posted that whilst you were writing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 10:30 am
akimball offline

I have resync'd a couple of times. Wasn't sure it was totally needed but made sense to do.

-Al