How to use with Indigo

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:06 am
williams7170 offline

PowerLinc Modem (2448A7) - Send failed - no acknowledgment

I wonder if someone can help.
I believe that maybe my powerlinc 2448A7 rev 2 has gone bad.

Everything has been working fine (running the latest version of indigo and Mac OSX)
Last week, I noticed that my devices would control, but I was getting now acknowledgements.
This morning, I can not use indigo to control anything.

ie
Schedule Bar Lights Off
Error "Kitchen Cabinet Lights" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Office Picture lights" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Bar Light" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
I have tried to troubleshoot, resync, all kinds of things, but nothing at all is working in my house. I had no changes, my aquarium, and sprinkler, landscape lights. everything.
Any suggestions?
Also, if I have to replace, I see that the 2448A7 is not offered on the site anymore (and out till september on smart home). If I have to replace, is there a better unit you can recommend?
Thanks for any help!
Randy

OK, I found an old 2414U, and plugged it in - I guess that confirms the 2448A7 went bad (unless there is some way to repair it).
So I am still interested in what is the best powerlinc device - is the 2413U the best? I am mostly all instead, but would consider z-wave for devices in the future.

Randy

Posted on
Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2448A7)

I think this is the first time I've heard of a 2448A7 failure, but it does sound like yours if malfunctioning.

Yes, for INSTEON the 2413U is the preferred interface. It is dual-band so it will send/receive the commands both via the power line and via RF.

Posted on
Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:12 am
williams7170 offline

Matt -
Thanks

Randy

Posted on
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 am
Collings offline

I'm really frustrated with 2413U devices failing. I've just lost my third. A few times per year we'll have a power failure or a brownout, and the 2413U will stop connecting to Indigo. Sometimes I can unplug, hold the button for ten seconds, plug it in, and then walk all around my house re-connecting my devices to indigo. Sometimes the device will never connect to indigo again. To be clear, these are the only devices I have ever owned that have died of a power failure.

Nothing anywhere talks about what the 2448A7 is for. Does it totally replace my 2413U? I understand that it can only talk to dual band switches directly, but can it talk to my older switches through them? I have a mix of old and new switches.

If the 2448A7 can talk to all my Insteon devices I'll give it a shot. If the expectation is that I either need to buy a 6 month subscription to 2413U or replace a dozen older switches with dual-band switches at $50/pop, I'm going to invest in hue bulbs and masking tape to keep people from turning off the good ol' $1 light switches that will replace all this nonsense.

Posted on
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Insteon USB dongle (2448A7) has the same ability to control things that the PowerLinc does. The only difference is that power line only devices will require an extra hop (through a dual-band device) to receive and send messages. We have several users using the dongle in place of the PowerLinc I believe.

Just a word of advice - you might want to get an electrician out to see if he can figure out why you're having so many brownouts. While you currently don't notice other things failing because of it, it seems likely that it's doing some damage to other things so you may see reduced lifespan. At least, that's what I'd do in your place.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 pm
Collings offline

Thank you for clarifying that, Jay. I'll give the USB thing a try.

We have brownouts because we live in tree-covered hills with a power infrastructure that was installed in the late 40's and occasional weather. You should see the rakish angles of some of our power poles and the tree branches that have grown through the lines around here! Then again the first 2413U I lost was due to a blackout in my townhouse in the heart of Santa Clara. That one also killed the USB port on the iMac that it was plugged in to. No other devices in the house were harmed, of course.

I found a thread (on these forums, I think) that described replacing components in those things to make them hold up to power problems better, but the author didn't make it sound like the procedure was for the faint of heart. Would love to see a revision of the 2413 to address this apparent weakness.

Posted on
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:49 pm
wjlevin offline

How to get started with an INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2448A7)

As I wrote in a thread elsewhere my 2412U died. Following a suggestion - I got a 2448A7.

I plugged it into my Mac Mini hosting Insteon and restarted.
But when I go to configure an Insteon/X10 Powerline interface - it doesn't show there..

How do I get started?

Many thanks in advance.

Wayne

Posted on
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 pm
wjlevin offline

Never mind! I found it here: http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... interfaces

If I may suggest - elsewhere there are references to devices with a link about the device and another pointing a discussion in this forum. I'd expand on the first link to point to the link above and, further, I'd separate it out by device to find it more easily.

Thanks you!!

Wayne

Posted on
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm
jlefevre1 offline

The 2413U has the problem with not connecting to the Mac upon restart because of a USB bug of some sort. Does the 2448A7 also have this problem. I have dozens of USB devices attached to everything from iMacs to Mac Minis to MacBook Pros to a Mac Pro. The 2413U is the only one that gives me problems. Looking for an alternative. I have an RS232 Insteon interface that I connect to a Mac Mini using a USB to RS232 Triplite adaptor. That is bullet proof. Is there anyway to have more than one interface with Indigo to talk to Insteon and spread them around the house to fix the dead spots. I have both dual band and power line only devices and bridges. Still have dead spots. Tried some Z wave stuff and it is much worse than the Insteon.

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jlefevre1 wrote:
Does the 2448A7 also have this problem.

If you're talking about the macOS Driver Bug (as I pointed out to you in my email), then yes, it does, because it uses the same FTDI driver that the 2413U does.

jlefevre1 wrote:
I have an RS232 Insteon interface that I connect to a Mac Mini using a USB to RS232 Triplite adaptor. That is bullet proof.

I'm confused: I'm assuming you're talking about a 2413S (the serial version). Why not just use that (instead of the 2413U) if it works so well?

jlefevre1 wrote:
Is there anyway to have more than one interface with Indigo to talk to Insteon and spread them around the house to fix the dead spots. I have both dual band and power line only devices and bridges. Still have dead spots. Tried some Z wave stuff and it is much worse than the Insteon.

No - Indigo only supports one Insteon interface at a time. But that likely wouldn't solve your issue anyway. Given your email (that I replied to yesterday), it's very clear that you've got some significant signal issues. And since you say that Z-Wave is failing as well, then it may well be some kind of RF interference issue (which follows when you said of your Insteon devices "Many of those are failing now and being replaced with the RF and power line units. I can definitely say they work no better."). RF interference is not something that we often hear about (though there are a few cases), so I don't really have much experience troubleshooting it.

Perhaps someone else on the forums has had some RF troubleshooting experience that might be helpful here.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1