INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

Posted on
Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

The lights themselves connected to the dimmer are flashing/flickering? I'm not sure if that is noise, a malfunctioning module, or just an incompatible load type for the module (not all lights are dimmer compatible). Is that module consistently controllable by Indigo/PowerLinc, or does it only occasionally work (that would likely be a signal problem).

Regardless, it does sound like your PowerLinc is working fine -- if it can reliably control some modules, then it probably isn't the source of the problem.

Posted on
Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 am
jltnol offline

matt (support) wrote:
The lights themselves connected to the dimmer are flashing/flickering? I'm not sure if that is noise, a malfunctioning module, or just an incompatible load type for the module (not all lights are dimmer compatible). Is that module consistently controllable by Indigo/PowerLinc, or does it only occasionally work (that would likely be a signal problem).

Yes.. the lights themselves flash and flicker at times... they are dimmable LED bulbs... and say as much on the package..

Posted on
Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:24 pm
Dewster35 offline

FWIW, I have that strobe light thing happen with some CFL's whenever I change the bulb. My work around is to either shut off the breaker or air gap the load controlling switch prior to changing the bulb.

Posted on
Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 pm
jltnol offline

I've actually tracked this problem down to the LED's bulbs I've been using. They are not fully compatible with the Micro-Dimmer. When I put in incandescent bulbs, the module works just fine.

So, should anyone else have this problem, the first thing you should try is incandescent bulbs!

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:24 am
jalves offline

jltnol wrote:
I've actually tracked this problem down to the LED's bulbs I've been using. They are not fully compatible with the Micro-Dimmer. When I put in incandescent bulbs, the module works just fine.

So, should anyone else have this problem, the first thing you should try is incandescent bulbs!

Somewhere on these forums people have recommended Cree brand LED lights. Based on that I bought several and have no flickering problems at all with my lamplinks. I see that Home Depot in my area has lowered the price to $7.97 recently.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, I really like the Cree LED bulbs. They work well with INSTEON/Z-Wave dimmers.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:58 pm
jltnol offline

As luck would have it, those are exactly what I was using... 4 Cree's on one Micro-Dimmer...

But the micro dimmer doesn't like them.... at all.. too much flickering and flashing.... I'm not an electrical engineer, but I suspect the kind of load presented to the dimmer by the Cree's is what's causing the problem. Replacing them with incandescent bulbs solves the flickering and flashing.

I'm upgrading the Micro-Dimmer to the DIN Dimmer which supports different kinds and types of loads, so hopefully, I can go back to the Cree's in this room...

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm
bnance offline

After many, many years of service, my 2414U decided to give up the ghost. It worked well till the end.

So, I just received my new 2413U, also upgraded to v6.0.9 from version 4, loaded my drivers to my 64-bit iMac for the new 2413U, chose my new device and port once I launched Indigo , and Indigo ran off and re-synced all my devices. Everything is working perfectly. My Indigo iPhone/iPad app is now showing the status of all devices quickly as well.

So, what's my problem? I want to fully understand what needs to be left powered on so that this new 2413U will work properly. I do understand that the 2413U has no internal memory like the 2414U did. I understand the iMac probably has to be powered on (not asleep as well) for commands to get to the 2413U. But, does Indigo need to be up and running all the time as well?

BTW, the 2413U executes commands really fast. Seems to me that there is hardly any lag time at all with the 2413U compared to the 2414U.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes - the Indigo Server (not the client) must be running and the Mac must be awake. You can, however, let the display sleep. Non LED-backlit displays can really suck down the power.

And, yes, the 2413U is quite a bit faster than the 2414U.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 am
johnpolasek offline

Maybe this should be a separate topic, but it relates to the 2414 having "stand alone" capabilities... are there any plans to utilize the 2242 Ethernet based Insteon Hub? I've been having some problems lately where the two year old 2413u twice in the past 3 weeks simply stopped communicating until it had been unplugged from both the computer as well as the wall for a couple of minutes... however, I'm not sure if it's the interface or something in the Mac, because I've had similar problems (although not at the same time) with the USB interface to the Davis Weatherlink into Weathersnoop. I was getting ready to order a replacement 2413u on GP when I saw the 2242 advertised and wondered if it were configured for some of the basic wakeup and shutdown schedules independent of or through Indigo, how badly that would mess up the operation through the USB interface.

Posted on
Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi John,

See this wiki article for our thoughts on it. We do understand the desire to be able to have Mac-less operation from Indigo, but don't feel that any of the current standalone controllers are the correct choice.

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 pm
Barnman offline

I'm currently running the 2414u, one of my access points is showing signs of overheating(case is discoloring), e-mailed Norm, and he had informed me of changes with the powerlinc if i upgrade. My question is if I get the 2413U, do I still need two access points? It looks as if the powerlinc is also an access point.

Also if I add more switchlincs that are dual band, do I need any access points in my system?

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The 2413U will act as a single access point. If you have any other dual-band module that is both on the opposite power leg and within RF range of the 2413U, then that will create a good INSTEON network. So in practice if you have the 2413U and a few (maybe as few as one) other dual-band modules then you'll have good coverage.

Posted on
Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am
michaelsmith805 offline

INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

I've recently started having problems controlling our X-10 devices. I've reset the modem (unplug for 10 seconds then hold reset button while plugging in and then waiting until the tone stops) and it works for a couple of commands but then stops working. I look at my amplifier (Leviton HCA02-10E) and I see the initial commands that work go through (green activity light flashes) but after it stops working the light no longer flashes. The Insteon devices can all be controlled but I assume that is because of the dual band RF signal. The amplifier light does not flash for them either. The 2413U sits right next to the circuit box and I unplugged all of the computer equipment around it including the laptop that runs Indigo but the symptoms remained the same. With everything unplugged and the X-10 lamp controller sitting in the next plug it still did not work. Indigo does not report any errors and it looks like everything is operating normally. Any suggestions?

Posted on
Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Does Indigo ask you to resync links after the reset? If not, then the reset didn't work.

If so, then it sounds like perhaps a failed 2413U - if it's less than 2 years old it should still be under warranty.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn