INSTEON I/O-Linc

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON I/O-Linc

mabrown wrote:
From an applescript how do you "turn on" an I/O-Linc? I've tried just the regular turnonIndigoDevice("Garage Door") but get an unknown command back. I could set a variable and have a trigger watch it but if I could just call the device directly I'd rather do that.

See the second post on this thread.

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 pm
philipbasile offline

I'm using 2 io links for my garage doors ad they work great. I'd like to query each garage door in python and if its closed then open it. Can you help me out with the script ?

this is how far I got...

#open both garage doors if they are closed
GarageDoorID1 = 726988961
GarageDoorID2 = 1631406815

If indigo.devices[GarageDoorID1].states['state'] == 'off':
#open door 1

If indigo.devices[GarageDoorID2].states['state'] == 'off':
#open door 2

thanks

philip

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2015 6:59 pm
philipbasile offline

matt,

can you help me out with this script ?

thanks

philip

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2015 10:26 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Philip,

From the Indigo scripting shell (Plugins->Open Scripting Shell), try this:

Code: Select all
print indigo.devices[726988961].states

and you will see a list of all states defined by that device. For the I/O-Linc therefore you want your conditionals to look like this:

if indigo.devices[GarageDoorID1].states['binaryInput1'] is False:

(note also it returns a Boolean True or False and not a string)

For the action side, I believe you want something like this:

indigo.iodevice.setBinaryOutput(GarageDoorID1, 0, True)

Posted on
Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:25 pm
MacAutomaton offline

Hi,
New to indigo + insteon family.

Bought new mac mini + RF-only insteon usb dongle.

Trying to get garage door control (thru i/o linc) set up. At first i wasn't able to add it as a new device, i presumed because it was too great of a distance thru walls between computer with usb insteon dongle and garage door i/o insteon module. i borrowed a friends repeater (my thinking that it would bridge from RF to powerline if that was an issue), and the repeater set up easily. Still couldn't set up i/o linc. tried repeater in a few different outlets (to better chances of hitting the right power leg). disconnected i/olinc from garage door switch and brought inside and tried plugging them into each other, that didn't work at all. i currently have a 3-receptacle power cord plugged into a nearby wall, with repeater in one plug and the i/o linc in another. still won't work!

what i am seeing when i try to set up the i/o linc each time, is i go to the new device->define insteon device dialog, type in the insteon address of the i/o linc, hit start. the first 2 green checkmarks appear right away, and within say 10 secs the 3rd green checkmark appears and returns model type: i/o linc controller, the correct address received, and f/w ver 41 (i2cs engine). then it sits there and grinds, eventually poping up a dialog box saying "failed to establish a link with the device". the last few lines of data in the log window are:
"
powerlinc linking - initialize complete
powerlinc linking - syncing remote device "new device" (address <correct insteon address>, firmwave version 41)
powerlinc linking - syncing all links

then
Error failed to fetch data from remote module
error linking - syncing failed
error linking failed
powerlinc linking 0 entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't know why this particular module is being so difficult, especially when it appears to my novice eyes that it was able to successfully communicate with the i/o linc and pull back the f/w version etc...

thanks in advance

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try factory resetting the I/O-Linc: 1) unplug it from the wall, 2) press/hold the button on the side, 3) plug back into the wall while continuing to hold the button, 4) wait 10+ seconds, 5) release the button.

Next, try the define/sync in Indigo again. As you did before, have the I/O-Linc a few feet away from the INSTEON dongle. This time instead of entering the INSTEON address, press hold the button on the I/O-Linc to put it into linking mode and see if the INSTEON address is automatically populated in Indigo's define/sync dialog (it should be). If it is, then start the define/sync in Indigo. If that fails, then copy/paste the Event Log results into a reply for me.

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 pm
MacAutomaton offline

Hi Matt,
So I:
1) unplugged the i/o linc, and the repeater.
2) deleted the unknown device and repeater from indigo devices list.
3) pushed and held down the set button on the i/o linc, plugged it into an extension cord within 3 ft of the mac+indigo dongle, held the button for 10 secs, then released it. The i/o linc made a noise for 10 secs then stopped (first, then i let go of the button).
4) in indigo i clicked on "new" un my device list, selected insteon device, then another window popped up saying effectively to either push and hold the i/o linc set button for 10 secs and push start, or enter the i/o linc address and hit start. so the first time i did this i only held the button for 3 secs (i tried again after unplugging the device, plugging back in, then pushing set button for the 10 secs the dialog box mentioned)... with 00.00.00 in the address boxes, the start button is greyed out and not selectable. In the log window, the only thing that showed up was "powerlinc linking-entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)".
5) i tried the interfaces->configure insteon interface->interface options-> powerlinc troubleshooiting:reset powerlinc and sync links button... my thinking is that hopefully this would cleanup and tables of devices and paths in case anything was left behind from previous attempts. same result.
6) i tried entering the i/o address in the new insteon dev dialog and hitting start (now that it was selectable after entering something in the insteon address boxes). the log says (I'm typing all this on my pc):
powerlinc linking - syncing powerlinc links (address aa.bb.cc) <my note: aa.bb.cc are my substitution. it was not the address of the i/o linc, nor of the motion sensor. unless it is an insteon address assigned to either the dongle or to indigo i have absolutely no idea what that address is (also, it's not the address of the not now plugged in repeater either).
powerlinc linking - .. adding: insteon plc linc to controller xx.yy.zz, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 ff
powerlinc linking - sync complete
powerlinc linking - powerlinc links updated
powerlinc linking - sending engine version request to xx.yy.zz
powerlinc linking - no response from device
... it repeats quite a few times, the last two log lines
error linking - device failed to send engine version information
error linking failed
powerlinc linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

the insteon usb dongle is set in the indigo interface to: powerlinc modem 2412u/2412s/2448a7h , serial port: usbserial-<some stuff>, group x10 is unchecked, interface options: always send group/scene cleanup messages is checked, and so is report error on all naks regardless of f/w version

i also just triggered the motion detector and it registered an "on" event (well, two...) so it would appear that the motion sensor is talking ok with the dongle and indigo.

is it interesting that when i try the reset powerlinc and sync links function, the log shows:
resetting...
reset complete (all links cleared)
linking - comparing local and powerlinc links
linking - . missing: remote link not found for persistent link <address of motion sensor> group 01 (adding remote link)
linking - missing: remote link not found for persistent link <address of i/o linc> group 01 (adding remote link)
linking - missing: remote link not found for persistent link <address of repeater!> group 01 (adding remote link)
linking - compare complete
linking - . . adding: insteon plc link to controller <address of motion sensor>, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 ff
same for i/o linc
same for repeater
resetting...
linking - powerlinc links updated

what would be your next troubleshooting step?
Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I think your I/O-Linc is malfunctioning. I would say the I/O-Linc or the INSTEON USB Stick, but if you have other INSTEON modules working okay then it must be the I/O-Linc.

You did all the steps I was going to suggest, including reseting the PowerLinc.

One last thought: are both the USB stick and the I/O-Linc using the same RF frequency? Different countries use different frequencies for INSTEON, and if they don't match then no communication will occur.

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I thought about this a bit more, and I think there might be a another possibility. I was originally thinking the I/O-Linc was a dual band (power line and RF) module, but I don't believe they are yet. They are power line only. So for the INSTEON RF stick to communicate with the I/O-Linc you must have at least one dual band module (such as the dual-band LampLinc) that is within RF range of the RF stick and on the same 110V power leg as the I/O-Linc. It will then act as a bridge between RF and power line. If you don't have a dual band module, or if it isn't within range, then it won't be possible for the RF stick to communicate with the I/O-Linc. Most of our users use the PowerLinc 2413U interface, which is like the RF stick but is dual-band (it plugs into a power outlet). In that case it would most likely be able to directly communicate with the I/O-Linc over the power lines.

So if you don't have a dual-band module, then I would suggest getting one. If you do, then try moving it to the same outlet as the I/O-Linc, at least while you are trying to debug what the problem is.

Posted on
Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 pm
DU Lou offline

Has anyone had problems with I/O linc input sensor failing but the relay continues to work fine? My Garage door opens and closes every time but the device (or indigo) is failing to read the open/closure anymore. I don't thing its a signal or indigo issue since everything else appears to be working fine. I have a new I/O linc coming from Amazon tomorrow to test but I just wanted to throw this out there is anyone has had similar issues.

Thanks,
~Lou

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:25 pm
DU Lou offline

Just received the new module and the new I/O is not receiving sensor inputs. Could the terminals around the magnet have rusted to the point where the signal can no longer be sent? Tomorrow I will try cleaning the screws on the magnet, stripping the exposed wires, and then reconnecting.

Just to be clear it doesn't matter which wire from the magnet goes to the Ground and Sense terminals right?

Thanks,
~Lou

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Simple way to test the IOLinc - just attach a wire to ground and one to sense and one to ground, then short/unshort them. If the state in Indigo changes then the IOLinc is working fine. And, no, it doesn't really matter which is which.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:06 pm
DU Lou offline

Thanks Jay I will try that. Also to remove indigo from the equation the green LED should blink if I short/unshort correct?

UPDATE: I cut a small piece of wire and connected to the Gnd and S of the IO Linc and then short/unshort. Both the IO Linc green LED and Indigo registered "open/close". So now I just need to figure out how the heck the magnets stopped sending the signal. :?

Update to the update. I connected the magnet to the smaller piece of wire and Indigo registers that open and close as well. So I think I will just order a new wiring kit from Insteon.

Jay, Thank you for the suggestion on how to test!

~Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm
MacAutomaton offline

Hi Again,
I received my brand new insteon2992-222 range extenders... plugged one in (a few different outlets), and consistently it fails to likc... here is generally what happens:
syncing powerlinc links (address <some unknown addr>)
..adding: insteon plc link to controller <dev addr>, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 ff
linking sync complete
powerlinc links updated
sending engine version request to <dev addr>
received engine version 02 from <dev addr>
sending id request for device information to <dev addr>
received id request response from <dev addr>
no match found for device type ID 29 with firmware version 43
linking failed
entered discovery... etc...

so to my noob eyes it looks like indigo and the repeater are talking, but indigo doesn't recognize the device??

your thoughts/troubleshooting steps would be most appreciated. i had fully expected the new repeater(s) to just work, and finally the i/o linc to work as well...

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo doesn't need to know about the range extenders (there are no options, parameters, etc. that they can send Indigo). Just follow their instructions to set them up and they will work. No need to define Devices in Indigo for them (and indeed Indigo doesn't have a device definition for them).