INSTEON I/O-Linc

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON I/O-Linc

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem. Can you copy/paste the contents of your script into a reply for me?

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 am
alang_94526 offline

You might want to read the status of the IO Linc then with a delay, call your script.

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:02 am
neilgreene offline

How to tell status of Garage Door sensor: {open, closed}

I have the following enabled on my io linc setting (as noted in the Wiki for i/o linc controlling garage doors)

1. Update Indigo's Internal Device input sensor state
2. Momentary mode for output relay (relay will only close for a few seconds)
3. Automatically read relay state 4 seconds after it is toggled

I am missing something because the state never shows the correct status of the garage door.
I want the OUTPUT to show OFF unless the door is active being open or closed. So, it should only show ON temporarily.
I want the SENSOR to show OPEN when the door is open and CLOSED with the door (circuit) is closed.

What settings are people using for the above?

Posted on
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, the input never changes between open and closed? Are you sure you have the sensor physically wired to the I/O Linc correctly?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 am
jltnol offline

So I’ve got this IO Linc set to Momentary C mode, as per Insteon instructions. Additionally, I’ve got this set up as

Send Status Request to read both sates from module
<Checked> Input Sensor opened sends Insteon ON command
<Checked> Input Sensor state changes output relay state
<Checked> Momentary Mode for output relay Mode
<Checked> Automatically read relay state 4 seconds after its toggled.

What I was hoping was an On command would open the door, and a Off command would close it. Additionally, if the door was already closed, an Off command would be ignored, and if the door was already open, and On command would be ignored.

From what I can tell, operating in Momentary Mode, the OFF command is useless, since the relay reverts back to the Off state anyway.

I guess I was trying to get the relay to stay in the ON state (without the relay actually being on).. so that an OFF command would momentarily close the relay, (which is already off….). but that doesn’t seem possible in the momentary mode.

I’m now thinking with a bit of Python, I can set up an OPEN action group, and a CLOSE action group, that will basically momentarily turn on the relay, but only if the opposite sensor state is true.

And of course, part of my problem is I want to control the garage door from both within the Indigo environment, and from the remote button in my car.

Or am I missing something ? ?

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

As yo have found, the logic to handle this behavior isn't possible with the I/O-Linc settings alone. Take a look at Perry's Cynical Behaviors Plugin. I believe he has a virtual device in there that handles the logic you want. And here is Perry's plugin forum if you have questions about it.

Posted on
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm
kyphos offline

I have a modest Indigo setup, with a combination of 10 or so Insteon and X10 light switches and dimmers. It's Indigo V6, running on an old Mac mini, with a PowerLinc 2413U to control the devices. (As much as I'd like to, I can't upgrade to V7, as the Mac mini can't go beyond OSX 10.6. )

I just acquired an Insteon 2450 IO module. I want to use its sensor input to integrate my home alarm system with Indigo (Objective: turn on some lights when the alarm system changes state).
I have no need for the relay output on the 2450.

Adding the 2450 as a new device went smoothly - Indigo found the new device, synced to it, and added to my configuration. But the new device appears in the Devices list in red text. I've never seen a 'red' device in the list before.

In the device list, the 2450 is also annotated with a little [PRO] icon. I'm not sure what's that about. My requirements are very straightforward - no virtual devices, no scripts, no fancy plug-ins. Just some simple timers that turn the house lights on and off according to schedule. I don't have the "Pro" software.

Is there any way to use the sensor input of the 2450 without upgrading to PRO (which I understand requires that I purchase a new Mac that supports at least Lion)??
If the answer is 'no', are there any other Insteon devices with a single sensor input I could use instead?

Thanks.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, Indigo 6 Lite doesn't support I/O devices or plugins (which is another way of adding them) - that's what the PRO icon means (it's a PRO only feature).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 am
Briand9 offline

Humidor Sensor to get Temperature and Humidity into Indigo

Hello, I am looking for a way to put a small sensor inside a humidor, and then grab the Temperature and Humidity data and import it into Indigo. Then set up an alarm if settings reach a certain level. This would help when one forgets to check the humidor. The device has to be small to fit inside a small humidor.

I can't be the first to think of this, but extensive searches online have found nothing. There are separate devices, but nothing to get into a Smart Home System that I have seen. I wonder if some of these types of devices can send data through an I/O Linc? I don't know a lot about the I/O Linc, so I was hoping some one had some more experience with them. Thanks!

Some more expensive options, but can they Export Data
http://www.smarthome.com/elgato-1002780 ... nergy.html
-- This can talk to HomeKit, Can we use this somehow?

There are several small devices like this, but can the I/O Linc accept the data that they send and will it show up in Indigo as a number?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10167

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 am
johnpolasek offline

How small is "small"? Oregon Scientific RF thermometer/Hygrometer combos are about 3"x2"x0.5" and will talk wirelessly to Indigo through an RFX433 using the RFX plugin. The RFX might be a bit pricey, but the sensors are about 20 bucks apiece, which is why I have one in every room as well as the refrigerator and freezer. They also have a meat thermometer (temperature only)version that has a probe about 3" long and less than 0.25 in diameter if you want to drill into a hole in the side to stick it through, although I'm not sure how long the batteries last in that one; I only use it to keep track of the internal temperature of stuff on the barbecue pit. The standard ones last about 12 to 18 months between AAA replacements.

EDIT

Or, using Karls Plugins->PiBeacon rPis, you can definately find 1-wire temperature probes that could be wired into one of those through his Plugin... Post to his forum and he can probably give you the part numbers you need.

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I/O Lincs are digital so they won't work. There are the EZIO line that use Insteon and have analog inputs.

Indigo supports the Z-Wave FortrezZ MiMO line that accept analog inputs. I believe one (or more) of the Fibaro sensors may have an input as well though I'm not positive it's analog or would work with analog sensors.

There are a couple of plugins for I/O devices including the EasyDAQ line. Interesting coincidence - we just received an email from the new owners of the EasyDAQ product line and it sounds like they're committed to further developing and supporting the line.

There are also a couple of 1-wire plugins available as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:53 pm
kyphos offline

Re: INSTEON I/O-Linc via X-10

Jay,
Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I appreciate you responding to my query about Indigo V6, even though it's not officially supported any more. I'm sure you and the team are busy adding lots of new goodness to Version 7.

For others wanting to use the sensor input on an Insteon 2450 I/O module with Indigo Lite:
There is a way :D
This Insteon module can be configured as an X-10 device, and will then integrate with V6 Lite.

Here's how.
    • If you've previously added the 2450 as an Insteon device in Indigo (as I had), delete it.
    • Add a new X10 device to your Indigo set-up. I chose "Generic Light Switch" as device type. Assign it an unused X-10 code.
    • For good measure, reset the 2450 back to factory defaults. I don't know if this is necessary, but it seemed like a good idea.
    - unplug module from power receptacle, wait 10 seconds, press/hold the Set button, and plug it back it. Release the Set button after three seconds.
    • Program the 2450 with an X-10 address:
    - Press/hold the Set button until the 2450 beeps. This puts it into linking mode. The LED will start blinking.
    - Tap the Set button. The LED will continue blinking.
    - send the desired X-10 address + ON three times. You can do this on the Indigo DEVICES page: click TURN ON for the new X-10 device you entered above three times. If you observe the Indigo log, you'll see it sending an X-10 ON command addressed to the that newly-added device code.
    - the LED will stop blinking, indicating that the 2450 has detected the three successive X-10 commands, which magically assign it the X-10 device code.

That's it. The 2450 is now configured as an X-10 device with the specified code, and can be used as an input to triggers in Indigo. When the sensor attached to the 2450 closes, the module sends an X-10 ON code. When the sensor opens, it sends an X-10 OFF code.

Full instructions on programming the 2450 as an X-10 device are found here:
http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledg ... beaw1opwwf

Apparently, one can also get its relay to respond to X-10 commands sent from Indigo, but I haven't tried that yet. I simply wanted to get the input sensor to work.
Last edited by kyphos on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is a good workaround. I tend to forget about the X10 capability of those INSTEON modules.

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Very clever, I also tend to forget. With X10's poor reliability, though, I'd be very careful about depending on it to be accurate.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 pm
kyphos offline

Re: INSTEON I/O-Linc via X-10

Understood (re reliability of X-10).
However, my X-10 infrastructure is pretty solid. I have a custom-made bridge connecting the two power phases (also couples the Insteon PLC signals), and filters on all my UPS systems and other 'noisy' devices to keep interference off the power line.

I'm slowly getting rid of the X-10 stuff as they fail, and replacing with Insteon modules. Fortunately, Indigo supports both :)