iTunes Script error

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 4:59 pm
kpfriedberg offline

iTunes Script error

today the event log started showing this:

iTunes Sync iTunes is not responding (check iTunes for open modal dialogs)

I have not changed anything in regards to iTunes script, which triggers to open when server is started...

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 5:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iTunes Script error

kpfriedberg wrote:
today the event log started showing this:

I have not changed anything in regards to iTunes script, which triggers to open when server is started...

iTunes has stopped responding to apple events for some reason - if it gets busy doing something else (it almost always does this when it's ripping a CD on my system for instance), it may result in this. Restart iTunes and it will probably go away.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2009 11:41 am
kpfriedberg offline

(No subject)

ok thanks, seems to work now, that said, we didn't rip any cd's...itunes has really just been idle...

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

kpfriedberg wrote:
ok thanks, seems to work now, that said, we didn't rip any cd's...itunes has really just been idle...

If you see that problem again, try switching to iTunes and see if it's responsive - I bet it either won't be or you'll see very slow UI reactions.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 am
kpfriedberg offline

(No subject)

jay wrote:
kpfriedberg wrote:

If you see that problem again, try switching to iTunes and see if it's responsive - I bet it either won't be or you'll see very slow UI reactions.

so just a follow up to this...i see this error in the event log periodically, when it last happened, iTunes was fine, no sluggishness whatsoever. After I saw that, i played a song, and the iTunes variables in Indigo fired up no problem...I suspect that this error periodically happens when iTunes is idle for a long period of time. I always keep iTunes open in case i want to listen to music and I am not by the computer (via either Remote or Indigo Touch). So I am guess that's the problem...

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2009 8:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

kpfriedberg wrote:
so just a follow up to this...i see this error in the event log periodically, when it last happened, iTunes was fine, no sluggishness whatsoever. After I saw that, i played a song, and the iTunes variables in Indigo fired up no problem...I suspect that this error periodically happens when iTunes is idle for a long period of time. I always keep iTunes open in case i want to listen to music and I am not by the computer (via either Remote or Indigo Touch). So I am guess that's the problem...

Strange - iTunes runs on my production system all the time and I never see this behavior when it's not playing. In fact, I had company all weekend and iTunes hasn't played since last Friday and no errors. Very Odd.

However, I suppose as long as it's updating the data when it's running its not a big deal.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I've seen these types of errors with iTunes a few times. They didn't used to occur, but something changed over the last year or so then I started seeing them. I think an OS update or iTunes update is likely the culprit but I haven't spent anytime digging into it yet.

Posted on
Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:43 pm
kpfriedberg offline

(No subject)

Matt,

just a follow up here. was updating to 3.0 on my iPhone and the event log began spitting these out...maybe something to do with the aforementioned in this thread?

not responding (check iTunes for open modal dialogs)

Jun 17, 2009 6:41:04 PM

Posted on
Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

kpfriedberg wrote:
Matt,

just a follow up here. was updating to 3.0 on my iPhone and the event log began spitting these out...maybe something to do with the aforementioned in this thread?

not responding (check iTunes for open modal dialogs)

Jun 17, 2009 6:41:04 PM

When iTunes is busy (ripping CDs, doing intensive iPhone/iPod sync tasks like updating firmware or software) you'll see this message. When it's got more time to pay attention to apple events it will come back. Simply plugging in my iPhone often causes one or two of these.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:40 am
macpro offline

*bump*

I'm having a similar problem with the iTunes plugin.
This is the message I'm getting: "iTunes Attachment iTunes is not responding (check iTunes for open modal dialogs)"

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But at those moments, iTunes is doing nothing, nada, zip.
I already tried repairing Indigo and iTunes. And rebooted the mini a couple of minutes ago. Even after the reboot I got the message?!?

The mini is running OS X 10.8.5, Indigo 6.0.11, iTunes plugin 1.1.4 and iTunes 11.1.5.

Posted on
Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

When it occurs open the AppleScript Editor application and try a simple script to see if it can communicate with iTunes:

Code: Select all
tell app "iTunes"
   play
end tell

Posted on
Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

macpro wrote:
This is the message I'm getting: "iTunes Attachment iTunes is not responding (check iTunes for open modal dialogs)"

Note, that error is from the iTunes Attachment AppleScript, not the iTunes plugin. When you see that error can you still control iTunes via the plugin?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:17 pm
macpro offline

Good one, Jay.

I was still using the iTunes Attachment. Removed it and now I need to change all my code to use the iTunes Plugin:

Code: Select all
 Error                           script error: «script» doesn’t understand the iTunesPlay message. (-1708)

There goes the sunday evening :wink:

Page 1 of 1