Find my iDevices!

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Dewster35 offline

Re: Find my iDevices!

Did the 5.1 release hose up anyone else's find my Idevices plugin? The distance away triggers which determine if myself or my wife is home have broken. Even though I'm within the distance set up to trigger at home, it's not seeing it correctly. :-/

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not using the iDevices plugin. Is the distance value correctly updating?

The only related change to Indigo 5.1 I can think of was some changes in how the "between" and "not between" conditionals are calculated. Does you Trigger use either of those conditionals? If so, what are the exact settings of the conditional?

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:18 pm
Dewster35 offline

Matt,
The distance value is correctly saying I'm at my home. It's late, but I can test tomorrow morning to see if that is updating correctly.

I'm triggering based on a device update change of any change. I'm manually forcing the plugin to update.

For my conditional, I'm using

If the device
My phone
The iDevice is currently
Is less than

That is looking at the distance in miles and I'm currently seeing .0034 for that value.

I didnt realize how dependent I've become on this working correctly.

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:20 pm
Dewster35 offline

I should note that's it's the opposite for away, and that's the state it's saying I'm in right now...so since it is saying I'm away, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the greater than conditional?

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 pm
Dewster35 offline

Ok...so I changed the conditional to is between rather than greater than or less than and that has fixed it....so something seems to be up with one or both of those conditionals as it relates to this plugin.

Posted on
Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I think I found the problem. But it looks like it is related to a change we made to Indigo 5.0.3. Did you perhaps skip the 5.0.3 and 5.0.4 updates?

Posted on
Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:30 am
Dewster35 offline

I suppose it's possible, but I almost always update if I see an update message.

Posted on
Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We'll have this one fixed in Indigo 5.1.1.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 am
pantalones offline

Setting a conditional for both iDevices?

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Indigo/INSTEON and have tried to set it up to control my Security Spy system. My wife and I each have iPhones.

Desired behavior:
When both iPhones are greater than .05 mi away from home, if security system is not currently on, turn it on. When both iPhones are less than .05 mi away, if security system is not currently off, turn it off.

Environment:
-I've set up group actions to turn on security spy and turn it off. This is working fine.
-I've set up both iDevices with the plugin. This is also working fine

My attempt to do this looks like this:
I've set up four trigger actions, two for each phone. Two "turn on", two "turn off". For each phone, trigger type: device state changed. Here's the idea:

So that action is repeated one more time for the opposite phone, then two more times with opposite conditions for the "off" state.

My question:
Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks very much in advance!

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:09 pm
Dewster35 offline

@Pantalones

I use this plugin pretty extensively to drive a lot of what goes on with our house. Both myself and my wife have variables assigned to us.

These variables drive our locations from Home, Away or Sleeping.

I have triggerlincs on all of our entry doors.... this triggers the findmyidevices to manually update. I do one manual update immediately and another manual update five minutes later... this catches us coming and going with minimal pinging of our phones which drains the battery life. I have the plug-in setup to ping our locations once a day since you have to put in something.

I am using a similar trigger to the one you have setup to determine if one of us is away... however, please read back for a bug that will be corrected soon with the condition "greater than" as it relates to this plugin. Also, for determining if we are away, I have the trigger setup to watch for any update on the devices.

I then use these variables in a lot of different places in my logic.

For example, when my wife is AWAY, I'm HOME , several other conditionals and motion is detected in the my office downstairs, it changes our house mode from HOME to WORKING, which locks all the doors upstairs, turns off lights upstairs, and also turns down the heat since I have a separate heater in my downstairs office.

I have the house mode automatically switch back to HOME when my wife's status returns to home. It also turns up the heat for her automatically.

In your case, you could set it up to watch for a change in the location variable you have to trigger similar to how you have setup, or you could have it drive a house mode, like I have and then you would be reducing the number of triggers to just two... one for turning the security on and one for turning it off.

I also have notifications that text our cell phones if we are HOME to tell us to empty the washer or dryer as I have a synchrolinc setup to detect those events. That way, my wife's phone isn't getting blown up while she's AWAY if I'm doing 5 loads of laundry while working.

I plan to eventually drive the entire house mode with our personal locations, like watching how long both of us have been away and asking us if we want to put the house into AWAY mode, but I haven't built out that much logic as of yet.

That's my two cents worth... I try to make everything as modular as possible for reuse... I'm pretty sure most anyone can come up with more than one trigger that's conditional based on whether someone is home or not. Hope that helps.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 pm
pantalones offline

Thanks very much. I hadn't thought about piping these to variables instead of having to repeat them all inside the conditions. We don't have the triggerlincs yet, but i have some ideas on how to work around that...

We have a Nest thermostat, which unfortunately doesn't work with indigo yet, but I like that idea of having it turn up automatically when I get home. Despite all their marketing, it doesn't do this.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:34 pm
Dewster35 offline

The nest is definitely a LOT prettier than my venstar with the huge adapter sticking out the bottom. Hopefully they will open something up in the future, but I have a feeling that this won't be their last home automation device.

This is definitely a handy plugin... I had some problems with it the other day and it's amazing how quickly you adapt for things just working as you need them instead of telling things to happen. Makes life a lot easier.

If your security is setup to monitor motion all the time, you could have it activate if it sees motion outside or no motion inside for a set period of time as the trigger for the manual update. Or you could poll the phones more often... but that is going to kill your battery. I had it setup for every 15 minutes but I was charging my phone back up by mid afternoon. I do notice a hit when I'm polling and when I'm not, or when I'm in an out of the house quite a bit working on projects it hits heavier, but this is a good enough solution for us for now. I believe someone had suggested to only allow the poll when it detected motion recently... but if you're moving around a lot, this could cause issues as well. Good luck!

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm
johnpolasek offline

Hate to be a pest if this was thrashed out somewhere in the previous 13 pages, but doing a quick search didn't find it... once I have my IPhone located in ICloud, how do I cross it over to MobileMe so that the plugin can find it? The ICloud web app finds it just find on both the Mac and the IPhone itself, but using the same account in the plugin shows no devices, although the map is correctly centered on my house. And a follow up question; once the devices show up in the Indigo FindMyIDevices page, how do I make them trigger able devices?

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 am
bschollnick2 offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Hate to be a pest if this was thrashed out somewhere in the previous 13 pages, but doing a quick search didn't find it... once I have my IPhone located in ICloud, how do I cross it over to MobileMe so that the plugin can find it? The ICloud web app finds it just find on both the Mac and the IPhone itself, but using the same account in the plugin shows no devices, although the map is correctly centered on my house. And a follow up question; once the devices show up in the Indigo FindMyIDevices page, how do I make them trigger able devices?

Once your setup with iCloud, MobileMe is generally disabled....

Find My iPhone services from Apple, work both with iCloud, and MobileMe. But my understanding is that when you migrate your MobileMe account over to icloud, your MobileMe access is disabled...

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:06 am
pantalones offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
Find My iPhone services from Apple, work both with iCloud, and MobileMe. But my understanding is that when you migrate your MobileMe account over to icloud, your MobileMe access is disabled...

That's correct.

Page 12 of 27 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 27