Error when recalling a scene to a group

Posted on
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:52 pm
Adrian Osborn offline

Error when recalling a scene to a group

Hi Nathan

I have been using the Hue plugin successfully for more than a year and love it. Today I needed to do a factory reset on the Hue Hub. After completing this and ensuring all my bulbs were correctly linked, recreating rooms and groups on the iOS App, and reloading the hub config, everything appears to work well and I can set up triggers and action groups as before, that recall a scene from the hub (It sees my scenes loaded in the hub and lights associated with them). However when i trigger the scene, I am getting the following error which never happened before and the scene does not trigger

Any ideas what I have wrong here ?

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:31:23 PM
Trigger 1 - Relax
Hue Lights Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 9376, in recallScene
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u2019' in position 103: ordinal not in range(128)

Hue Lights Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 9376, in recallScene
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u2019' in position 103: ordinal not in range(128)

Ive attached a screen shot of the The Recall Hue Scene dialog box
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 2.47.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 2.47.12 PM.jpg (157.52 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Posted on
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:39 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Error when recalling a scene to a group

Hi Adrian.

Sorry it took a bit to reply. I thought I had already, but apparently not.

Do you have any Hue scenes or Hue devices with non-ASCII characters in the names (i.e. any character that's not used in American English)? What about Indigo devices created with the Hue Lights plugin that contain non-ASCII characters? The errors indicate the plugin is encountering special Unicode characters somewhere. Python's handling of Unicode characters isn't ideal. If you do, try removing the non-ASCII characters from the Hue device, scene or Indigo device name and see if that fixes the issue. If not, I'll need to see debug logs which you can enable with the Plugins -> Hue Lights -> Toggle Debug Logging option in Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:56 am
Adrian Osborn offline

Hi Nathan

I can not see any scenes or devices that would have this issue - generally all the scenes are the standard Concentrate, Relax, etc.

I did get around the problem which took a while by setting up an action group for each room/scene setting the light values

ie
Master Bath Hue Group" on to 56 with x/y chromatisety values of 0.5016/0.4151 at ramp rate 1.0 sec.

and this works nicely - its's one the named scene recall that is not working.

That said when i tried to repeat the error this morning by setting up an action group to recall the named scene, I cannot see all my scenes in the plugin under all scene creators dialogue - so I'm wondering if thats the problem

I'm kind of happy with my "setting light values solution" at the moment as it seems more responsive than what i had before but it is a bit of a hassle as I add scenes in the hue app

Ill get the error to repeat and send you the debug log to see if you can spot whats going on

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi Adrian.

Thanks for the report.

Scene setup in the Hue app is a little confusing because now they support both HomeKit scenes (in the Settings section) and the original Hue scenes, but you can only create Hue scenes from within an individual room. I can't find a way to create scenes that affect lights in multiple rooms (though previous app versions did allow this).

Page 1 of 1