Hue Tap

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:09 am
marketability offline

Hue Tap

Hi Nathan
Do you have any plans to allow indigo to detect a Hue Tap (or Dimmer) Button Press? i.e. a trigger that reacts to a specified button press
Looks like, in debug mode, that a button press is recorded in the log

I could probably script around it by detecting the exact state of every light in the group resulting from a button press - but in some cases the group has 11 lights and that might blow the top of my head off :-)

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:15 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Hue Tap

Hey.

No plans for Hue Tap support at present. As I've mentioned in other posts asking for it, the Hue API and hub itself don't support any way of sending notifications to external applications letting them know that a button has been pressed. The solution other developers have chosen is to query the Hue hub ever 2 seconds or so just to see if any buttons have been pressed. From the threads I've read on that solution, it usually works okay, but there are caveats. Sometimes it doesn't work because, unless you hold the button for 2 seconds, there's no guarantee the status request will catch the tap event. Then there's the up-to-2 second delay between pressing and detection. That's not useful for many real time events. If you or your guest needs a hall light turned on and they tap the Hue Tap as they enter the hallway, they'll have walked half way through it before any external applications even recognized that the button was pressed (assuming they catch the status at the right time).

So it boils down to reliability and usability. Any implementation I'd be able to use wouldn't have great reliability. Plus, there'd be a lot of disappointed users who attempt to use the Hue Lights plugin to detect button presses only to find that it can't really be used like all other switches in Indigo are used. All this translates to lots more forum support questions/complaints. With all the users of the plugin, I'm not sure I'd have time to respond to all those, at least in any useful manner. :-)

But, that's not to say I won't support the Hue Tap at some point in the future. With that in mind, you said you saw the button press in the debug logs. I don't have any Hue Tap or other controllers to test with. What does that log look like?

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:54 am
marketability offline

No plans for Hue Tap support at present.

Thanks Nathan - understood - so I think I'll swap out my taps/dimmers for Z-Wave scene switches to give me better control of what state the lights are in

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 am
marketability offline

meanwhile JFYI - I set up a device for the Tap Hue Group and trigger a variable update when the brightness of that group changes - seems to work OK until the Z-Wave switches arrive

Thanks again for a v v useful plugin!

Posted on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:56 am
nsheldon offline

Version 1.7.0 Posted

• Added support for the Hue Tap and Hue Dimmer Switches.
  • Changed all references to the "Hue hub" to "Hue bridge".

Version 1.7.1 Posted

• Added support for the Run Less Wire switch.
  • Fixed a bug that would prevent Hue Tap switches from appearing in the device selection list.

Version 1.7.2 Posted

• Fixed a bug with Run Less Wire switch support that would not allow you to select a Run Less Wire switch device in the device selection dialog.
  • Fixed a bug with Run Less Wire switch support that returned numerous errors when the plugin attempted to update the online state of the switch which has no online state.
  • Fixed a bug with Run Less Wire switch support that would not update switch states during initial plugin load.

Page 1 of 1