Sync KPL button when hue is controlled by app

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:10 pm
Jesse offline

Sync KPL button when hue is controlled by app

Hello,

I have the hue plugin working pretty well. I am, however, having trouble keeping the kpl button that controls them in sync with the lights when they have been turned on or off using either the hue app or Alexa. I tried setting up a trigger that would turn the kpl on or off according to the status of the lights, but it has been hit or miss and sometimes causes the lights to continually cycle on and off. Any suggestions?

Thanks and happy holidays.

Jesse

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:36 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Sync KPL button when hue is controlled by app

Hi Jesse.

Happy holidays!

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Unfortunately, this is likely due to a limitation of the current Hue Lights plugin, and indirectly, the Hue hub itself. The Hue Lights plugin checks the status of every light and every group on the Hue hub about every 8 seconds. This is a fairly large delay, so if the Hue bulb is turned on from another source outside of Indigo (such as Alexa or the Hue app on a mobile device), the Hue Lights plugin won't notice it until as much as 8 seconds later. The Hue hub doesn't currently support any kind of real-time notifications (i.e. the hub won't send notices to applications that use the API that something has changed), so it's incumbent upon the applications to keep checking the status of everything if they want to be updated. I limited the number of times the Hue Lights plugin asks the hub about the status of everything to avoid causing the Hue hub to be overloaded with requests. A future version of the Hue Lights plugin may be able to reduce the delay, but currently you'll see up to an 8 second delay.

Page 1 of 1