Hue bulbs in a switched circuit?

Posted on
Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:56 pm
CraftGeek offline

Hue bulbs in a switched circuit?

I have a question for those of you who have lives with Hue bulbs for awhile.

I want to create a path light for a hallway. The idea is to replace the recessed lights in the hallway with Hue Br30 bulbs. Then I'll place a motion sensor covering the hallway. Then configure Indigo to turn on the Hall lights red 10% for 30 minutes then off if it is dark and motion is detected.

My question is:
With the above setup, using standard dumb light switches, how do I turn the lights on from the wall switches? If I turn them off for a second wthen on, will the bulbs reset and come on full brightness white?

Sean

Posted on
Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:13 pm
shrxman offline

Re: Hue bulbs in a switched circuit?

CraftGeek wrote:
I have a question for those of you who have lives with Hue bulbs for awhile.

I want to create a path light for a hallway. The idea is to replace the recessed lights in the hallway with Hue Br30 bulbs. Then I'll place a motion sensor covering the hallway. Then configure Indigo to turn on the Hall lights red 10% for 30 minutes then off if it is dark and motion is detected.

My question is:
With the above setup, using standard dumb light switches, how do I turn the lights on from the wall switches? If I turn them off for a second wthen on, will the bulbs reset and come on full brightness white?

Yes CraftGeek, that is what will happen. I created a trigger based on the lights btightness level, that reapplies the settings for the bulbs to address that. Works well, but it's not instant, as it takes a few seconds for indigo to pick up on the change.

Posted on
Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:46 pm
CraftGeek offline

Thanks.

So for long term usability, I should replace the dumb switches with smart switches controllable by indigo.

Sean

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:35 am
shrxman offline

CraftGeek wrote:
Thanks.

So for long term usability, I should replace the dumb switches with smart switches controllable by indigo.

You don't have to, though it could help with more complex scenarios. My hue bulbs are all on dumb switches. You might want to pick up some magnetic switch covers though, which can help to keep people from hitting the switch if you have them turning on automatically as you like. I haven't put those on yet, though, as I still need to work out a few kinks in my motion switch triggers.

Page 1 of 1