cannot register plugin with hue hub

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 12:14 pm
odavis offline

Re: cannot register plugin with hue hub

Sorry. The snippet in my first post is the debug output from the event log.

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 12:15 pm
odavis offline

Oh. I'll reload the plugin.

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 1:46 pm
odavis offline

Here is the output from when I reloaded the plug in:

Code: Select all
May 9, 2016, 12:02:15 PM
  Hue Lights Debug                closedPrefsConfigUi called

May 9, 2016, 12:02:34 PM
  Hue Lights                      Debug logging enabled
  Reloading plugin "Hue Lights 1.3.19"
  Stopping plugin "Hue Lights 1.3.19" (pid 1407)
  Hue Lights Debug                runConcurrentThread stopped.
  Hue Lights Debug                runConcurrentThread exiting.
  Hue Lights Debug                Plugin shutdown called
  Stopped plugin "Hue Lights 1.3.19"
  Starting plugin "Hue Lights 1.3.19" (pid 2121)
  Hue Lights Debug                Initializing Plugin.
  Started plugin "Hue Lights 1.3.19"
  Hue Lights Debug                Startup called
  Hue Lights Debug                pluginPrefs contains 30 presets.
  Hue Lights Debug                Got response [{u'error': {u'type': 1, u'description': u'unauthorized user', u'address': u'/lights'}}]
  Hue Lights Error                Not paired with the Hue hub. Press the middle button on the Hue hub, then press the Start/Finish button in the Plugin Settings (Plugins menu).
  Hue Lights Debug                Got response [{u'error': {u'type': 1, u'description': u'unauthorized user', u'address': u'/groups'}}]
  Hue Lights Error                Not paired with the Hue hub. Press the middle button on the Hue hub, then press the Start/Finish button in the Plugin Settings (Plugins menu).
  Hue Lights Debug                runConcurrentThread called.

I noticed in the earlier troubleshooting steps one subtlety that I had previously overlooked: after doing the disable, delete, enable routing I immediately entered the IP address, enabled debug logging and then saved. Then I chose configure again, hit the start/pair button, clicked the Hue hub button, and start/pair again. Here's the output from that:

Code: Select all
May 9, 2016, 12:13:00 PM
  Hue Lights                      Checking with the Hue hub at 10.167.168.50 for pairing state...
  Hue Lights Debug                Request is {"username": "4d55cd1868b951cac2e18b9da1cfec59", "devicetype": "Indigo Hue Plugin"}
  Hue Lights Debug                Got response [{u'error': {u'type': 6, u'description': u'parameter, username, not available', u'address': u'/username'}}]
  Hue Lights Error                Error #6 from Hue hub when checking pairing. Description is "parameter, username, not available".
  Hue Lights                      Checking with the Hue hub at 10.167.168.50 for pairing state...
  Hue Lights Debug                Request is {"username": "4d55cd1868b951cac2e18b9da1cfec59", "devicetype": "Indigo Hue Plugin"}
  Hue Lights Debug                Got response [{u'error': {u'type': 6, u'description': u'parameter, username, not available', u'address': u'/username'}}]
  Hue Lights Error                Error #6 from Hue hub when checking pairing. Description is "parameter, username, not available".
  Hue Lights                      Debug logging enabled

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 2:05 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi again.

The error "Error #6 from Hue hub when checking pairing. Description is "parameter, username, not available"." indicates the Hue Lights plugin is not registered with the Hue hub. Be sure to follow the below steps exactly.

1. Enable the Hue Lights plugin if it's not enabled already (Plugins -> Hue Lights -> Enable).
  2. Open the Hue Lights configuration window (Plugins -> Hue Lights -> Configure...).
  3. Next to "Pairing," click the "Start/Finish" button in the Configure Hue Lights window. DO NOT cancel or save the window.
  4. Within 30 seconds, press the center button on the Hue hub.
  5. Within 30 seconds, click the "Start/Finish" button in the still-opened Configure Hue Lights window.
  6. Click the "Save" button in the Configure Hue Lights window.
This should resolve the Error #6 error.

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 2:30 pm
odavis offline

Sorry to be such a bother and thanks for replying.

Those steps are what I've been doing. I just repeated them again (carefully) and got the same errors.

Incidentally when I hit the start/pair button I am able to press the Hue hub button within a couple seconds.

Are we sure the new bridge firmware released on 4/18 isn't a factor here? Has anyone else paired since that update? http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/support/firmware-update/

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi again.

It may indeed be related to the new firmware update. Because existing applications and other controlling software connected to the Hue hub are not affected by the security changes, and because only newly paired applications are affected, this may explain why I've seen so few instances of this issue. The wording of that blog post treads very closely to misinformation though. It states
We have been working on this security update with all known developers since September 2015.
I've been a registered developer since well before September 2015, so I suspect they quietly announced the change somewhere in the forums or made changes to one of their SDKs, but that's the extend of "working with all known developers."

In any case, not being able to specify your own pairing key is a moderately significant change to how the Hue Lights plugin pairs with the hub and it'll take me a number of days to come up with a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it looks like until I can get the pairing process changed in the plugin, you won't be able to use it

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 5:49 pm
odavis offline

No worries Nate and thanks for all you do. I'm just glad to know it might not be some configuration error in my setup.

If you wanna use me as a Guinea pig for the fix I'm available. :D

Owen

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 6:14 pm
nsheldon offline

Hey Owen.

Thanks! I may take you up on that.

Posted on
Tue May 10, 2016 12:20 am
mat offline

Looks like the same problem that I had, with the hub generating the security key.

Glad the reason has been identified.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu May 12, 2016 5:53 am
kkachurak offline

I, too, am having the exact same issue.

I wonder if issuing a factory reset to the bridge would bring it back to "Square 1", allowing me to pair it with Indigo. Only after, would I permit it to update its firmware.

Posted on
Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 am
nsheldon offline

Unfortunately a factory reset of the Hue hub won't fix the issues. This is because with the most recent firmware update in April, Philips changed the way the hub pairs with other applications which requires some apps (like Hue Lights) to change as well. I'm working on an update which should be available soon.

Posted on
Thu May 12, 2016 10:28 am
mat offline

It's not something a factory reset will solve, its a change in the security features of the api. This manual work around resolved issues for me, and should work pending a potential update of the pluging.

The issue is detailed here

http://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/important-whitelist-changes

This is what I did to solve the problem, but it involves digging around a bit.

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9067&start=525

This link shows you how to generate the authorised user id from the hue api - see specifically the section starting "Go and press the button on the bridge and then press the POST button again and you should get a success response like below."

http://www.developers.meethue.com/docum ... ng-started

You can then cut and paste that ID into the plugins pref file, restart the plugin and it should now work

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 am
nsheldon offline

Version 1.3.20 Posted

• Fixed the pairing process to work with hub firmware versions released on or after April 2016.
  • Simplified hub pairing process (much less complicated now).
  • Improved plugin configuration window error checking.

Posted on
Fri May 13, 2016 12:57 am
odavis offline

Works like a champ. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 6:42 am
kkachurak offline

nsheldon, that is really awesome of you. Thank you!