Can you upload macros to CM11 module?

Posted on
Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:44 pm
Dick Kluis offline

Can you upload macros to CM11 module?

I just switch to the Mac and really like it, no trying out Indigo to replace old Windows software.

Question: How do you download your actions/macros to the CM module so that you don't have to have the Mac running?

Thx

Dick

Posted on
Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can you upload macros to CM11 module?

Dick Kluis wrote:
How do you download your actions/macros to the CM11 module so that you don't have to have the Mac running?

Indigo does not support downloading macros and schedules into the CM11. We've had this request a few times, and will consider adding it into a future version of Indigo. However, there are other features higher on the priority list that we are anxious to complete first.

regards,
matt

Posted on
Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:13 pm
Dick Kluis offline

What then when iMac is turned off?

So, what to do for situations were you can not depend on the iMac to be up and running?

Thx

Dick

Posted on
Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: What then when iMac is turned off?

Dick Kluis wrote:
So, what to do for situations were you can not depend on the iMac to be up and running?

Are you concerned about your iMac crashing, or do you just not want to have the computer on? It has been my experience that once you get a stable system configured, OS X rarely crashes. Since I removed some bad RAM from an old G3 300 I bought on ebay for about $300, I've have had no stability problems now for months with my home control server.

If you don't want to leave your computer on, then you could use software such as Thinking Home to download schedules to the CM11 for when your computer is off, and use Indigo for when your computer is running.

I'd love for the logic that Indigo lets you define to be able to run without the computer on, but the control logic of the CM11 is so limited it just isn't possible. I'd have to have a subset of the full Indigo scheduling and control logic that is downloadable into the CM11, which could turn into a usability and UI nightmare if not done well. Since there is already a good Mac solution for programming the CM11 (Thinking Home), I'd currently rather focus our development efforts on new functionality not currently offered in any Mac home automation software.

regards,
matt

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:57 am
Dick Kluis offline

Multiple Users on one Mac

The problem is that there are 2 major and 3 minor users for the one Mac and each of us have there own user setup. The habit is for the Mac to be running, but once an user is done to logout, so that the next user can just login.

As far as I can tell, Indigo only runs when an user is logged in. If Indigo can run indepently from (any) users being logged, then it can work.

Thx

Dick

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Users on one Mac

Dick Kluis wrote:
As far as I can tell, Indigo only runs when an user is logged in. If Indigo can run indepently from (any) users being logged, then it can work.

We have investigated this, and it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. Unfortunately, when no users are logged on the system Window Server component is also terminated, which is a system componenet that Indigo relies on for some critical services (even if we strip out all of the UI -- it doesn't just serve windows like the name implies). I think it it is possible to change Indigo so it can run in the fashion but it'll take some time on our end...

regards,
matt

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:37 pm
Ewicp offline

CM11 Batteries?

Greetings.
This thread makes me wonder, I was using my CM11 on a windoze machine with "ThinkingHome" software. Now that it is on a "REAL" computer will the stuff that was uploaded to the module cause problems for Indigo? Should the module be wiped? If so, how? Also I was wondering if the batteries in the CM11 are still necessary since it is now just a conduit for the computer?
Thanks.

E.

Posted on
Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:57 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: CM11 Batteries?

Ewicp wrote:
Now that it is on a "REAL" computer will the stuff that was uploaded to the module cause problems for Indigo? Should the module be wiped? If so, how? Also I was wondering if the batteries in the CM11 are still necessary since it is now just a conduit for the computer?

You can remove the batteries. You shouldn't have to wipe the module (if you do, Indigo has a bug), so let me know if there are any problems.

regards,
matt

Posted on
Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: CM11 Batteries?

A new Indigo beta that supports uploading to the PowerLinc Controller has been posted. This will let you upload Trigger and Time/Date actions to the controller and then allow you to turn off your computer. However, Indigo still does not support uploading logic to the CM11. See this announcement for details:

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/php ... .php?t=328

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:00 am
G4Shallow offline

Dick Kluis wrote:
The problem is that there are 2 major and 3 minor users for the one Mac and each of us have there own user setup. The habit is for the Mac to be running, but once an user is done to logout, so that the next user can just login.

Thx

Dick

Does Indigo work when using Fast User Switching in Mac OS X 10.3. If it does then you could create a user for indigo then use the fast menu to switch to another user. Not sure how this will affect the USB side of things.

Worth a try though ?

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

This is correct. I've heard that Indigo runs fine in a switched out user, so this is a great technique to use if you have multiple user accounts on your Mac. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1