Feature Request: Auto-retry X times after Y secs upon Error

Posted on
Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:42 pm
eme jota ce offline

Feature Request: Auto-retry X times after Y secs upon Error

My log shows few errors but I do see "send failed (no acknowledgment)" errors about once or twice a week. They usually result a bulb not lighting.

Would it be possible to add a Preference checkbox to automatically resend a command for which an error is registered in the log?
You could add a checkbox to the PLM interface preference near the "Always send group/scene cleanup messages" and "Report errors on all NAKS..." checkboxes in the Interface Options.

Ideally, you'd supply reasonable defaults for the timing and number of retries, but would allow users to modify.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request.

Posted on
Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Auto-retry X times after Y secs upon Error

We are considering offering this type of feature in a future version. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 pm
tintivilus offline

Re: Feature Request: Auto-retry X times after Y secs upon E

I too have a few situations where this would come in very, very handy. Right now a few of my triggers just do action-wait-action-wait-action to increase reliability.

One thing that's been bugging me, though -- I thought Insteon was supposed to handle retries automagically? If Indigo shows a "no response" error in the log, does that mean there's already been a number of failed retransmissions?

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, that's correct, when you see that error there have already been multiple attempts to contact the device and no reply was ever received. Because of this built-in retry mechanism, we generally don't recommend trying over and over again - you could in fact just be adding to the problem. That problem is generally because of a signal issue - either too many signals at the same time (collisions) or some transient signal sucker/noise maker.

Tracking down those problems can be a total pain - I have a couple of keypadlincs that will periodically fail when trying to adjust the state of a button. I've tried just about everything I can think of and they just periodically miss the update (the button represents the play state of iTunes, so if it misses one here or there it's not the end of the world, but I'd prefer if it didn't miss any).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:15 am
alang_94526 offline

Did this feature ever get added to Indigo?
I have some mission-critical (to me at least) smart equipment that I manually coded a retry scheme. The burden of this is sufficiently high that I don't want to bother with it for less important devices and a simple feature like this would be helpful.

Posted on
Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It is not in Indigo currently.

Posted on
Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:34 am
alang_94526 offline

Is that the same as it never will be in?
I've never really figured out why insteon's repeat and retry mechanism is insufficient whereas a software repeat and retry works other than some bursts noise caused by something that lasts longer than the insteon packet length.
It would be a fine option to add if you ever get the chance (IMO)

Posted on
Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:25 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Nah, it is on the feature request list. Problem is the list is very long. ;-)

Page 1 of 1