Web access

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:24 pm
ac46 offline

Web access

I downloaded and installed the ACGI Script and ACGI Dispatcher but when I try to connect, I get an error message "... cannot connect to the server...". Would this have anything to do because I'm on a router?

thanks

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Web access

Can you get web pages at all to come up -- is your web sharing not working at all, or just the Indigo portion of it?

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:49 pm
ac46 offline

(No subject)

Aaaaah.
Turning ON 'Personal Web Sharing' makes a big difference.
It would be nice to have a bit more security built-in, like asking for a password to access it.
Will Indigo have web access built-in eventually, instead of using 'Dispatcher'? I thought I saw this on the wish list and as a possible feature in a future version of Indigo.

thanks again

Posted on
Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:36 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

ac46 wrote:
It would be nice to have a bit more security built-in, like asking for a password to access it.

It can do this. At the heart of personal file sharing is the Apache web server which supports a plethora of different features. You'll want to add a .htaccess file to password protect a directory (or the entire site). Try a Google search on ".htaccess tutorial" for information on how to set this up. There are probably some GUI OS X applications that will create .htaccess files automatically for you, so you might also want to search on VersionTracker.com.

ac46 wrote:
Will Indigo have web access built-in eventually, instead of using 'Dispatcher'?

Very likely. ;-)

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:13 pm
ac46 offline

(No subject)

This works when trying it from another computer on the local network but not from another computer on the internet. I'm using a router, Asanté. Would I nead to open a port on the router?

ac

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

ac46 wrote:
This works when trying it from another computer on the local network but not from another computer on the internet. I'm using a router, Asanté. Would I nead to open a port on the router?

Yes, presuming your router is using NAT (it probably is), you'll need to open port 80 or turn on port forwarding to that computer (port 80).

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1