iBook Laptop: closed or open?

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2004 7:15 pm
adambuild offline

iBook Laptop: closed or open?

Matt,

I adjusted the settings in the client's laptop to never sleep. However, when the laptop is closed, it's as if it's sleeeping! Does the laptop have to stay open? Is there a way to change he settings so that it can stay closed and the Indigo will still work?

Thanks again.

Adam J. Goldberg
ADAM Builders
171 Garfield Avenue
Passaic Park, NJ 07055
973-471-9696

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2004 7:42 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

Mac laptops sleep when you close them no matter what you do. Depending on the type of laptop you might be able to get it to stay away if you hook up a external monitor. You can use the powerlinc 1132CU that will give limited support when the laptop is closed.

Failing that I would recommend keeping the laptop open.

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2004 7:45 pm
dalenis offline

(No subject)

Hi Adam,

This is suppose to work on a 12" PowerBook there is a sensor on the right palmrest under the right arrow key, and there is a magnet on the lid in the corresponding position. A thin flat piece of steel, say 1" by 0.5" (a big paperclip works for me) and stick it to the magnet on the lid, then close the lid.

I have not tested this....this hint can be found here

Dale

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Guest offline

THANX!

Thank you very much, I'll try it tomorrow at the client's home. I hope they won't mind the paper clip.

Sincerely,

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2004 8:31 pm
Guest offline

(No subject)

Would leaving the laptop open achieve the same thing?

Thanks, Adam

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2004 8:58 pm
Guest offline

(No subject)

Yes, (I would prefer this method) leaving the laptop open achieves the same thing, but you have to be sure the laptop is not allowed to go to sleep to allow Indigo to run properly. If you need help for the proper setting give a shout.

Dale

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2004 11:28 am
norm offline

(No subject)

Don't forget Apple put the sleep mechanism for closed laptops in for a reason. There is a risk of overheating in a wide awake laptop with its lid closed.

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2004 12:58 pm
dscottbuch offline

(No subject)

Actually, I don't think this is the reason because, if you plug them in and hook up an external monitor and keyboard they wake up and work just fine. This is the primary mode I use my Ti 15" in at work. I use it as a laptop at home, and closed up and hooked to externals at work.

I always found it interesting that if there is no power cord plugged in it won't wake up, even if the battery is fully charged.

Scott

Page 1 of 1