failure to connect and initialize interface

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:36 am
G4Shallow offline

failure to connect and initialize interface

Hi

I am currently evaluating Indigo and Xtension.

The following problem happened yesterday when the Mac booted up using Energy Saver (This will change soon as I am about to use a PowerBook G3 which will be always on).

7:07:29 PM, 4/26/04 Error undefined signal (66) from interface
7:07:29 PM, 4/26/04 Error undefined signal (E6) from interface
7:07:30 PM, 4/26/04 Error failure to connect and initialize interface

So I unplugged the CM11 and connected it to another machine - same problem. I thought I would leave it unplugged for an hour or so but upon retry it was the same.

I decided to try it with Xtension 5.0.1 and it found the interface. Quit Xtension and opened Indigo and everything was ok again.

Is this just one of those things that happen? Why would Xtension connect to the interface but not Indigo on 2 different machines until Xtension had initialised it :?: .

Just incase required :

PowerMac G4 867 / PowerBook G4 1.25
Mac OS X 10.3.3
Usb -> Serial Interface (Uses FDTI drivers)
CM11
Inidigo 1.3.3

So far I have been very impressed with Indigo and find it easier to use than Xtension. However, I like the feature Xtension has where you can use photo's of the room :D

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:34 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: failure to connect and initialize interface

Hello Stephen,

Does the CM11 problem always happen after a boot from the Energy Saver? If the problem is repeatable, then send me an email offline (indigo-support at perceptiveautomation.com) so I can walk you through some additional steps.

I will say that I haven't heard of folks having much luck with the FTDI serial drivers (with any application, not just Indigo). Sounds like you got them working or maybe they released new versions of the drivers that are better. The next time it fails, you might try quitting Indigo and disconnecting your USB->serial adapter and reconnecting it to force a reload of the drivers. Based on your description, I think that the drivers may have gotten into a bad state somehow -- the byte codes E6 and 66 are not used by the CM11 protocol, but they are very close to byte codes that are frequently used. It is like the serial driver is sending data that is almost correct to Indigo.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:56 am
G4Shallow offline

support wrote:
Hello Stephen,

Does the CM11 problem always happen after a boot from the Energy Saver? If the problem is repeatable, then send me an email offline (indigo-support at perceptiveautomation.com) so I can walk you through some additional steps.

Well this has been the first time this happened. Will let you know if it happens again when it starts up later.

I will say that I haven't heard of folks having much luck with the FTDI serial drivers (with any application, not just Indigo). Sounds like you got them working or maybe they released new versions of the drivers that are better. The next time it fails, you might try quitting Indigo and disconnecting your USB->serial adapter and reconnecting it to force a reload of the drivers. Based on your description, I think that the drivers may have gotten into a bad state somehow -- the byte codes E6 and 66 are not used by the CM11 protocol, but they are very close to byte codes that are frequently used. It is like the serial driver is sending data that is almost correct to Indigo.

Regards,
Matt

I did that already and connected it to another machine but will try it again and let you know :)

I am trying to source a Keyspan adaptor here in the UK but it is not that easy.

Posted on
Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:09 am
G4Shallow offline

support wrote:
Hello Stephen,

Regards,
Matt

Right, just connected it up to the G3 which is going to become the new HA server. Connected USB cable, fired up Indigo and it failed with same error.

Quit Indigo
Pulled Cable
Plugged in cable after 20 seconds
Launched Indigo

Same fault

Quit Indigo
Launched Xtension
Connected ok
Quit Xtension

Launched Indigo
Now OK :!:

Problem does not seem to be associated with Energy saver at all. Basically every single boot up this happens. Luckily Xtension does not have a time limit so I can use that but I would really like a solution for those days when I do power the G3 down.

Ideas?

Posted on
Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:27 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Send me an email offline (indigo-support at perceptiveautomation.com) and I'll walk you through some additional steps that will help me narrow down what is going wrong.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1