Thermostat control -- device or software?

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:57 am
Seeker offline

Thermostat control -- device or software?

First question, are we supposed to be able to post new topics in the hardware sub forums? I did not see a 'new topic' button in the thermostat sub forum.

Regarding thermostats, how do you use your thermostat? I have a trane z-wave stat that I've been using for about 2 years. I have always had it programmed with local scheduling. morning set point, weekday work hours set point, arrive home, bedtime, wakeup, etc. I let it run itself and then make overrides via software or my phone or laptop. I set it up this way because at first I did not fully trust my z-wave controller, and i never changed it.

Now I'm thinking about getting a little fancier. How do you handle this? any intelligence in scripting based on actual outside temp or even forecast? Do you use local t-stat control or software control?

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 am
jalves offline

Re: Thermostat control -- device or software?

I don't have an answer to your question because I've been wondering the same thing. :D We are building a house in FL and I'm weighing replacing the basic thermostat that the builder will install with something "smarter".

I suspect that those of us who have a nice, predictable life are just fine with a basic programable thermostat. If your schedule is pretty regular there isn't much need to fine tune the temperature settings during the day. OTOH, for those who have a less predictable schedule, I can see the benefit of integrating the heat/ac into a complete HA solution.

Looking forward to other people's comments.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Here is a post that answers your first question.

I personally have my thermostats in manual mode and use Indigo schedules to control everything. I can then use Indigo to enable/disable sets of those schedules based on other logic or Control Page control buttons. For example, I can easily put the house into vacation mode and switch to a set of thermostat schedules for that. I use schedules sets for lighting as well, so it makes sense for me to include the thermostat schedules in those as well.

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:01 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

I also use software for thermostat scheduling. I got ambitious and wrote a big python script that handles our thermostats so I can customize it easily from our ipads/iphones.

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:59 pm
AndrewGWalsh offline

I elected to go software only. I've attached a jpg showing my control page from which you can deduce what I have done.
Attachments
Heating.jpg
I elected to go software only. I've attached a jpg showing my control page from which you can deduce what I have done.
Heating.jpg (293.57 KiB) Viewed 3751 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:11 pm
jltnol offline

I think the posted who mentioned predictability is right on target.

I live alone, and leave and come home at different times all the time.

Leaving the house triggers a bunch in things to happen, including turning the AC / Heat system off. I've got triggers set up to SMS me if the house gets too hot or too cold during the day, and respond accordingly.

When I'm on my way home regardless of what time, I can turn the system on, and set the temp from the Indigo Touch App(a genius addition by the way..)

At night, right before bedtime when I set the alarm, it also re-sets the cooling and heat points, so if I'm up late, I'm comfortable until I go to bed, and if I'm in bed early, energy isn't wasted cooling or heating the house.

So, no built in schedules in the thermostat itself. Way to restricting for my needs and use. Software control is much better.... and software control from my iPhone is much MUCH better!! :P

Page 1 of 1