Remotely resetting Indigo Server

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Remotely resetting Indigo Server

For the 2nd time since upgrading to the newest version of Indigo, I have lost the ability to connect through Indigo Touch. This isn't a huge deal, but my main use case for home automation and remote control is to allow my disabled wife to have more accessible devices, including opening and closing the garage door when she leaves the house. Looking at logs the Indigo server was up and running but just couldn't be accessed.

I know my connectivity problem can be solved through troubleshooting and searching through logs, but I'm looking for a bigger solution.

Has anyone come up with a cost effective technical solution to remotely restart the Indigo server when these issues occur? I know with a MAC I could attempt to connect using Cocoa but I'm looking for a solution that assumes I'm out and only have my iPhone. VNC?

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:49 pm
hamw offline

Re: Remotely resetting Indigo Server

You can send it an email that will act as a trigger to restart. Sometimes you have to use the Apple script "kill all" command in your script to force some pesky applications to stop.

Another possibility would be an ethernet controlled power switch. There are some discussions of these on the indigo site.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks. I think I found another solution too with VNC light and port forwarding to allow me access to the server from my iPhone. This gives me the access to restart the machine or restart Indigo at the server level if I lose access.

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I would be interested in hearing more about the specific failures you've had. Is Indigo Server totally hung? Can you, for example, access it from a Web browser on that Mac running Indigo itself? Any errors in the Event Log or system console?

Posted on
Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:11 am
ryanbuckner offline

Matt,

This turned out to be a hardware issue. I replaced the Mac Mini and all is well.

Page 1 of 1