Action Collection Weirdness

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:31 pm
anothersphere offline

Action Collection Weirdness

Periodically, I encounter a problem where Indigo thinks I have action collection installed, but it cannot run it.
Typically this is around a restart but I believe I have seen it happen randomly.
Through trial and error I determined:
    Once the error is displayed, restart does not fix it
    Removing the action collection preference, does fix it, until the next time it re-coccurs (when I will see the preference has appeared again)
- it seems the preference appearance is a symptom/cause.

I use the functions from this (now subsumed) plugin all the time.
It is absolutely, most definitely, not installed anymore. It is totally removed from the machine.
It does not appear in the file system, or in the manage plugins list.
I rely totally on the built in functionality.

I am running the latest version of Indigo.
Why might this be happening?
I do use MacUpdate desktop, and thought perhaps its install process is not the best, so have manually run the installer recently.
No dice. I still randomly get this issue.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Action Collection Weirdness

Hi Martin,

What is the exact verbiage of any error alerts you see? Also, copy/paste the contents of the Event Log window around the time the error occurs. There should be some error messages in there that will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:12 pm
anothersphere offline

matt (support) wrote:
What is the exact verbiage of any error alerts you see? Also, copy/paste the contents of the Event Log window around the time the error occurs. There should be some error messages in there that will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Hmm, not really: "2013-10-20 10:39:01 Error unable to execute action -- device plugin "Action Collection" not running"

Fix (until next time): shut down indigo server, delete the preference, restart indigo server.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you email me a log file that shows the entire cycle of the problem (from Indigo Server start, to the problem occurring, to the next Indigo Server restart that fixes it)?

And what version of Indigo are you running?

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Also email the preference file.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 pm
costap offline

I had the same problem 3 times in the same week. I noticed that when I would restart the server it appeared NOAA Weather Plus was hung so I switched over to using NOAA Weather instead and so far it hasn't happened again.

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm
anothersphere offline

costap wrote:
I had the same problem 3 times in the same week. I noticed that when I would restart the server it appeared NOAA Weather Plus was hung so I switched over to using NOAA Weather instead and so far it hasn't happened again.

I dont USE either of them but thats not to say they are not enabled. I will check.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 pm
anothersphere offline

jay (support) wrote:
Also email the preference file.

To save me having to redact swathes of my log file, where can I email it (ie dont want it on the forum).

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:29 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Email them to indigo DASH support AT perceptiveautomation.com.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 am
Chompy offline

This is the same problem I was having. The only way I was able to resolve it was by backing up my database, preferences, control pages, etc. and then deleting and reinstalling the app.

For me, the plugin would disappear (couldn't be found in either Plugins or Plugins (disabled) folders)

Perhaps it has something to do with several old installations of Indigo (I had both 4 & 5 still installed) I've found that sometimes Indigo still references the old installs for scripts, etc.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe this problem is different than the one you were seeing Chompy - in this case the plugin's host process is failing during startup for some reason (we can see the failure in the log). We're digging into it - looks like a problem introduced in Mavericks so I'll reiterate that we recommend waiting to upgrade until (at least) the first patch release of Mavericks.

The next Indigo release adds better plugin restart logic that we believe will help with the issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:57 pm
anothersphere offline

jay (support) wrote:
...We're digging into it - looks like a problem introduced in Mavericks so I'll reiterate that we recommend waiting to upgrade until (at least) the first patch release of Mavericks.

The next Indigo release adds better plugin restart logic that we believe will help with the issue.

It is absolutely, completely, NOT caused by Marvericks for me.
This is an issue that has re-occurred randomly for months - since Action Collection was subsumed.
It is however on a MacOS X Server build, however I am not sure how that would make any difference.
And yes I am now running Mavericks but as said, I was getting this before the upgrade.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Well - your errors are happening on other user machines that have never had them before the Mavericks upgrade although on those machines they are less consistent (the actual error varies somewhat). Can you grep through all of your logs looking for "Action Collection Error" and send me any you find?

If all of your errors are the same then you probably have a different problem (it seems to be happening with the INSTEON Commands plugin for you as well). It would be interesting to know if it happens to plugins other than those two as well (we're seeing random plugin failures for the other users).

We are positive that there are some plugin host failures similar to yours caused by the Mavericks upgrade so we're looking into those since we have multiple people reporting them.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:00 pm
anothersphere offline

Hi,
Can you suggest a grep command line to use? While I know regex, I seldom do grep on the CLI.
BTW I don't use INSTEON, I use Zwave and X10.
For some reason that plugin has a fit periodically (also pre Mavericks, but post main upgrade of Indigo).
thanks

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

anothersphere wrote:
Can you suggest a grep command line to use?

Code: Select all
cd "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs"
grep "Action Collection Error" *

anothersphere wrote:
BTW I don't use INSTEON, I use Zwave and X10.
For some reason that plugin has a fit periodically (also pre Mavericks, but post main upgrade of Indigo).
thanks

It starts up if you have the INSTEON/X10 Power Line interface enabled since that's a combined interface.

Jay (Indigo Support)