Dynamic Heating Schedule?

Posted on
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am
autolog offline

Dynamic Heating Schedule?

I want to set-up a dynamic heating schedule that alters the time the heating comes on depending on the temperature. This will be done on a room-by-room basis.

As an example:
I want the temperature in the bedroom to be 20.0 (C) at 07:00.
Depending on the measured temperature at the thermostat at 06:30 then:
If a 1 degree difference - start heating at 06:55
If a 2 degree difference - start heating at 06:45
if a 3 degree difference - start heating at 06:40
else start at 06:30

I am trying to work out the easiest (and best ) way to do this. I was looking at schedules but you can't compare device values in conditions and you can't set dynamic delays AFAIK so I don't think scripting would help. I suppose I could set-up a trigger for each time and check the temperature difference but then you get into all sort of difficulties if the tempearture changes and the whole process becomes more complicated.

This is such an obvious candidate for Home Automation especially if any sort of "learning" process could be incorporated into it.

Just seeking ideas and suggestions at this point :)

Posted on
Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Heating Schedule?

A script file that runs at 6:30, looks at the conditions, then sleeps however long before starting the heat.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:36 pm
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
A script file that runs at 6:30, looks at the conditions, then sleeps however long before starting the heat.
Just to double check this - I can add a sleep() command into the Python script which I presume I link to as an external file so it doesn't hang the main thread (i.e. if it was an embedded python script action) as the python script file will be run in a separate thread?

Posted on
Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct - script files run in their own process and can run for as long as necessary.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1