Web Camera / Vitamin D integration

Posted on
Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:49 pm
ToddZ offline

Web Camera / Vitamin D integration

I was hoping to use Indigo as part of an overall home automation and monitoring system. I'm getting the impression that I can have half of that with indigo, but that there is no video / camera integration, or that it isn't really supported. I was hoping to have simple video event integration with something like Vitamin-D, but it doesn't seem that there is a plug in, or even any sort of support for video in indigo. Is that the case? Are there plans in the works for some real video / CCTV integration at some point? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. I just want to put together a complete system.

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:45 am
Seeker offline

Re: Web Camera / Vitamin D integration

I've struggled with camera integration for some time. I have a dedicated camera server (windows, blue iris) which runs flawlessly and has great remote access.

I'm new to Indigo coming from vera. At some points in time, I've had blue iris command triggers to make vera actions, and vera commands to trigger blue iris . This is easy to do without any plugin or integration. But honestly, while this crosstalk is neat, I found that it is not critical. Both systems work fine independently. I don't know how much value is added by having tight integration.

My current thinking is to let my HA system (now indigo) do the HA stuff and let the camera system (blue iris) do its own stuff. Vera had native IP cam viewing but it is not that good so I never used it.

Also note that I have my BI system set to continuous record with motion alerts.

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:59 am
durosity offline

I’ve been using Indigo with SecuritySpy and Perry’s plugin for it for some time now and it works nearly flawlessly. I’ve got it set so if there’s any motion detected by SecuritySpy it’ll set itself recording, but also if any of my indigo motion sensors detect motion it’ll do the same or if the DSC alarm panel is triggered it’ll set them all recording. I’ve also got it setup to automatically change the source of any TV that’s on to the front door camera if the door bell is pressed. SecuritySpy is kinda expensive for consumer use (I currently have a 1 camera licence, but will soon be upgrading to 4 which is about £80), but i think it’s worth it in the long run.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:15 am
hamw offline

durosity wrote:
I’ve also got it setup to automatically change the source of any TV that’s on to the front door camera if the door bell is pressed.

How are you getting the feed from your computer to the TV? What are you using to record the video? Also, doesn't Vitamin D do some other neat stuff?

Posted on
Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:43 am
durosity offline

hamw wrote:
durosity wrote:
How are you getting the feed from your computer to the TV? What are you using to record the video?

The camera is analogue, so i’ve just got a splitter for the source.. one side goes into the back of the TV (Which in turn is controlled by a Global Cache for PIP/Source changing functionality) and the other side goes into a USB adapter on my server which is then picked up by SecuritySpy and recorded accordingly. I would love to see some Vitamin-D functionality in SecuritySpy like the people detection options but it works quite well as it is just with its motion sensing function.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun May 04, 2014 10:50 pm
pantalones offline

durosity wrote:
hamw wrote:
durosity wrote:
How are you getting the feed from your computer to the TV? What are you using to record the video?

The camera is analogue, so i’ve just got a splitter for the source.. one side goes into the back of the TV (Which in turn is controlled by a Global Cache for PIP/Source changing functionality) and the other side goes into a USB adapter on my server which is then picked up by SecuritySpy and recorded accordingly. I would love to see some Vitamin-D functionality in SecuritySpy like the people detection options but it works quite well as it is just with its motion sensing function.

Vitamin D is now Sighthound

Yes, I'd love to see Indigo integration

Posted on
Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:38 am
thewinelake offline

Following in your footsteps and just wondering if there's been any progress in this area?
I'm currently evaluating Indigo 6 and am quite impressed so far, but if I've got to pay even more for CCTV integration, it might make the package somewhat unattractive.
The alternatives will involve more work (I'm considering a Node.JS based system), but I guess if it's a hobby, that's all part of the fun!

Page 1 of 1