Using Jandy Pool plugin with a serial-to-ethernet a adapter?

Posted on
Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:12 am
AusTxNerd offline

Using Jandy Pool plugin with a serial-to-ethernet a adapter?

My AquaLink system is nowhere near my Mac mini (so no serial-to-USB), but it is next to a wired ethernet port. I was thinking of using something like this StarTech serial over IP device. However, it doesn't show up as a serial device on the Mac. Instead (in theory) I can just open a socket to the device's IP address and stream the serial data back and forth.

Looking at the Jandy plugin it uses an Indigo class to obtain a list of serial ports for the preferences page. Is there a way to add a network device to this list? Or some other way to use the IP address instead of a serial device name?

Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated!
Mike

Posted on
Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm
AusTxNerd offline

Re: Using Jandy Pool plugin with a serial-to-ethernet a adap

After more searching in the Indigo forums and some googling, I think I've answered my own question. I'm going to use socat to map the StarTech serial-to-IP device to a local tty. I haven't tested yet, but I'm hoping that the local tty port will then show up in the indigo.serialPorts list of ports.

From another forum thread I found a link to this blog post: http://blog.philippklaus.de/2011/08/mak ... -ethernet/
which described how to use socat on a Mac to do what I want:

socat GOPEN:/dev/ptyp0,ignoreeof TCP:10.0.1.93:10002
(and open /dev/ttyp0 in your application as serial port)

Page 1 of 1