LightwaveRF PIR

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:04 pm
Londonmark offline

LightwaveRF PIR

Hi,

Just started experimenting with the plugin (thank you for a great piece of work!) and am enjoying the journey of discovery. I however hit one brick wall - I don't seem to be able to pick up any communications from a couple of LightwaveRF PIRs. I've looked through lots of forum pages but cannot find any info. Am I missing something?

Many thanks

LM

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm
durosity offline

Re: LightwaveRF PIR

Have you enabled the options in Configure for LightwaveRF and log unknown sensor as error? You’ll need to do that so it shows up the device ID so you can add it into Indigo.

Also just to add i used a few LWRF motion sensors but eventually gave up on them.. because of the way they work i found they interfered with other wireless operations so i eventually switched to a wired DSC alarm system for motion sensing.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:17 pm
Londonmark offline

I have enabled all of the error checking options, and that's working fine for picking up everything apart from the PIRs.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:22 pm
durosity offline

What firmware version do you have on the RFXtrx433? Also have you tried the RFXcom RFXmngr program to see if it receives it there?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 pm
Londonmark offline

I'm using a Mac and don't have access to a windows machine, so I've been struggling a bit both with RFX mgr and with trying to check / update the firmware. Looks as if I need to try with Mono for the latter, but I haven't figured that out. Not sure about RFX mgr. Very new to my RFXcom - it only arrived yesterday.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 pm
durosity offline

Ah well you can check the firmware version you’re currently on by reloading the plugin, you’ll get a few lines in your log like this:

RFXCOM initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-AEVD6211 at speed 38400
RFXCOM connected to RFXtrx 433.92 MHz, firmware version 58
RFXCOM currently enabled receiver protocols: Hideki, LightwaveRF, Mertik, Oregon Scientific, HomeEasy EU, AC, ARC, X10

I’ve always just used a Parallels image of Windows XP to test using the manager program, or apply the firmware updates whenever i’ve needed them.. always worked beautifully for me. I now have about 30 different devices either controlling or being controlled by indigo via the RFXtrx433… most of them are LightwaveRF but some are home easy (e.g. Door bell)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm
Londonmark offline

Thanks! I'm on firmware version 62. I've tried running RFX mgr under WINE but no dice so far.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 pm
berkinet offline

Londonmark wrote:
I'm using a Mac and don't have access to a windows machine...

If you are fairly comfortable with installing and configuring software, you might try Wine. It should let you run the RFXMngr on a Mac.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 pm
durosity offline

I’ve just fished out one of my old LWRF motion sensors, when i’ve enabled debug mode on the plugin i get:

RFXCOM Debug processing: 10 20 0 1 1 182 27 1 1 0 80 (0A 14 00 01 01 B6 1B 01 01 00 50)
RFXCOM Debug LW Switch with housecode 10b61b and unitcode 01 command 1 received (level:0)
RFXCOM Debug Switch Command 10b61b-01 in list, command=On
RFXCOM Debug ++++++++++++++

I changed the dip switches on the back to be 5s for time, 1 for learn and H for lumens.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:49 pm
Londonmark offline

Durosity,

Many thanks for your help. It's very strange - I've set the dip switches to exactly the same settings on one my PIRs and it's still not registering at all. It's normal setting is 5 minutes, I/O and L and it operates two lights without any problem at all - just doesn't show up in the log.

LM

Posted on
Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:24 am
durosity offline

Very strange.. I'd try to get the manager software up and running and see if it shows there, if not then contact rfxcom.. Perhaps there has been some firmware change.. I had an issue with the lwrf master switch and they sent me a custom firmware to get the code then fixed it with firmware 58.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:32 am
Londonmark offline

So, I've finally made some progress - installed Ubuntu in a Virtualbox and eventually managed to run mono to update the firmware from 62 to 64. Now looks as if I can see the PIRs, although haven't had time to investigate more fully. I also managed to load RFXmngr and connect to the RFXcom, but thereafter, all options were greyed out and the app wouldn't respond to anything. Anyway, looks as if I am getting there so many thanks for your help, Durosity.

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 pm
durosity offline

No problem, glad it’s working! Like i said though you might want to look at some wired PIRs.. particularly in high traffic areas i found the LWRF one just didn’t work well enough for me!

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1