How to identify the device ID

Posted on
Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 am
vorsteh1 offline

How to identify the device ID

Hi.

I just bought Indigo to use with a RFXtrx and some compatible sensors that I have. As fare as I understand it is important to find the correct device id to get it to display the values it transfer. I have OS wind, rain, temp/humidity and wt450H sensors, all should be compatible with the RFXtrx. In the log I can get two ID. When using these IDs I can use the values they transfer. The two other sensors only show "undecoded packet received" with no ID or type.

Is there a simple way to identify the sensor ID?

By uninstalling the RFXCom Plugin, restarting the system several times, I got two of the IDs. But I don't want to continue doing it this hard way.

Posted on
Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How to identify the device ID

The RFXCOM plugin is a 3rd party plugin (not developed or supported by us) so I'm moving this post over to their sub-forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am
johnpolasek offline

What protocols do you have active? I put mine in back in the beta days, but as soon as I enabled the RFX, I got messages of the general form "Unknown sensor detected on channel XXX, type YY. choose ZZZZZZZZ as device type" for ALL of them, including not only the OSI wind, temperature, and raingage, but a couple of Radio Shack thermometers and an additional rangage that must belong to a neighbor as well. I wonder if somewhere along the way to the final release, somebody got a little too agressive in removing unnneded protocols?

I'd say you don't have to remove and readding the plugin or restarting the system; but you might want to try adding protocols for the RFX in the plugins menu (and then maybe disabling and reenabling) one by one and then waiting a couple of minutes to see if the "undecoded" messages suddenly become "unknown sensor" messages...

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 pm
midd offline

I'm having a similar issue. Bought the PCR800. I attempted to add it as a Plugin per the instruction. In the Edit Device Settings, what goes in the "Sensor" window? I'm at a loss with that one.

I left it blank and saved it. Here's what I get in the event log:

Jun 29, 2012 8:04:24 PM
RFXCOM Error Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 51, in deviceUpdated
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/RFXCOM.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RFXTRX.py", line 1419, in deviceStart
<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>: key sensorNumber not found in dict

I then disable and re-enabled the RFXCOM plugin and this is what I get in the Event Log:

Reloading plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.4"
Stopping plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.4" (pid 172)
Plugin "RFXCOM" disconnected
Starting plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.4" (pid 460)
Plugin "RFXCOM" connected
Plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.4" started
RFXCOM Error exception in deviceStartComm(Rain Gauge): 'key sensorNumber not found in dict'
RFXCOM initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-03VGC64W at speed 38400
RFXCOM connected to RFXrec 433.92 MHz, firmware version 45
RFXCOM currently enabled receiver protocols: Oregon Scientific

So I know I need the sensor ID but how do I obtain it?

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 pm
midd offline

Disregard, I found the reset button and pressed it. The id is 254 for the PCR800.

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The ID is randomly assigned when the sensor first gets power (and unfortunately, assigned a new ID when switching batteries). I hope to tweak the plugin in the future so that it has a popup showing all of the most recently seen unassigned IDs, which will make creating new Devices a bit easier.

Posted on
Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 am
midd offline

Thanks for the info. Got everything configured. Even got some rain! I was hoping to see it in action with Indigo but the rain turned into a helluva storm (a derecho, I think it was called) and I'm still without power! So being that the batteries are still in there, I won't have to worry about pressing the reset button to find the id when my power gets restored?

Thanks

Page 1 of 1