Losing connection to RFXtrx device

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2012 10:43 am
lalid offline

My Indigo Pro 5.1.1. log shows;

"RFXCOM serial port" serial port open error: could not open port /dev/cu.usbserial-02VEMM2E: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbserial-02VEMM2E'
RFXCOM Error make sure the USB virtual serial port driver (ex: FTDI driver) is installed and correct port is selected
RFXCOM Error serial port could not be opened

and in the RFXCOM plugin i can now ONLY see the(USB-SerialPL2303-0000103D) port used by CM11

But I had it running before did some NEXA Dimmer installations that worked ;-)…... But then a did a MAC OS update to 10.7.4 and now i get this errors

and in ls /dev/cu.* all I get is the following;

koks-datorn:dev familjen$ ls /dev/cu.*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/cu.PL2303-0000103D
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync /dev/cu.SerialPort

I have tried to reinstall the FTDI VCP driver , but not luck,

(running on Macmini with VCP FTDI 2.2.17 (64bit)
Please advice me how to get this fixed

Thanks in advance

Lars Lidström

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Losing connection to RFXtrx device

Hello Lars,

I'm not sure what is wrong. You should definitely see the entries in the /dev/ folder if the FTDI driver is working and the device is connected via the USB cable. Here is my /dev/ directory, also running 10.7.4:

Code: Select all
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,   1 May 14 10:31 cu.usbserial-0000201D
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,   3 May 14 10:30 cu.usbserial-A4VCXO92
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   17,   5 May 10 13:26 cu.usbserial-A8006XyH

The last one is my RFXCOM.

Have you double checked that the USB cable is seated well? Try different USB ports as well. We recommend the ports on the Mac, but if those don't work then try all the ports you have.

Also try manually deleting the FTDI driver file and reinstalling it. The file is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2012 1:51 am
lalid offline

Hi
Thanks for your answer

I have tested to reinstall after manually deleting the FTDI driver file . The FTDI driver gets installed (/System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext) but with the same result. The RFXtrc433 device is not recognized and no longer any trace in of a "cu.usbserial-xxxx" in my /dev/ directory.

Could the device be broken ?

Any way to test / verify that the hardware is working ?

Lars

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think I'd contact RFXCOM - sounds like the hardware may be having issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am
johnpolasek offline

Another quick thing to check is bad USB cable; I've had 3 of those go bad over the past 5 years... I wonder if they are just making them cheaper nowdays than they used to.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 am
eme jota ce offline

Getting the same error message:
"RFXCOM serial port" serial port open error ...

Just received the hardware from Mac Home Store. It was pretested. Red light comes on briefly (less than 2 seconds) upon connection to the mac, followed by very brief flash of the other LED.

Hardware problem or my bad install?

FTDI driver was already installed for the 2413U.

Here's a longer paste of errors from the Indigo log:

Enabling plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.6"
  Starting plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.6" (pid 235)
  Plugin "RFXCOM" connected
  Plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.6" started
  RFXCOM                          initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A4016NM3 at speed 38400
  Error                           unknown command bytes received 18 00 (ignoring)
  RFXCOM Error                    incomplete packet received
  RFXCOM Error                    initialization failed (retrying in 10 seconds)
  RFXCOM Error                    Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 222, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/RFXCOM.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RFXTRX.py", line 1397, in startComm
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'

RFXCOM Error                    plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
  RFXCOM                          initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A4016NM3 at speed 38400
  Error                           unknown command bytes received 66 03 (ignoring)

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/RFXCOM.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RFXTRX.py", line 1397, in startComm

RFXCOM Error                    plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

Error                           PowerLinc not responding -- attempting reset
  Power Failure                   possible power failure

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:24 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Are you sure you selected the correct serial port? I think you'll get errors similar to that if you select the PowerLinc's port, for example.

Also try swapping the USB cable and plugging it into different USB ports to see if that helps.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 pm
eme jota ce offline

There's only one option. I selected it.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If you have the 2413U, then there should be two options -- one that represents the 2413U and one that represents the RFX.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:17 pm
eme jota ce offline

Hmmm. I have a 2413u. It functions well. But, there's only on option in the RFX plugin.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

eme jota ce wrote:
Hmmm. I have a 2413u. It functions well. But, there's only on option in the RFX plugin.

And if you check Indigo's preferences dialog I assume that is the same serial port the 2413U is using?

If so, then it sounds like the Mac or FTDI driver isn't seeing the RFXtrx at all. Did you try my previous suggestions?
matt wrote:
Also try swapping the USB cable and plugging it into different USB ports to see if that helps.

Posted on
Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:39 am
eme jota ce offline

Thanks Matt,

Yes. I see the same serial port under Indigo's preferences for the 2413U as I see for RFX plugin. It's A4016NM3 as the only option for the 2413U and the RFX plugin.

Yes, tried a different USB port and a different cable. Also removed all other USB cables from the Mac Mini, except the 2413U's cable. With the other cable, the red LED on the RFX may have remained on longer, 3 seconds. However, still only see A4016NM3 as the lone serial port option for RFX and 2413U

Tried disabling then re-enabling the plugin. Stopping and restarting the Indigo Server. Re-installing the FTDI driver and restarting the computer. (All after trying the new USB cable and with only two USB's plugged into the computer.) Also, deleted the RFX plugin from the Plugins (Disabled) folder, then re-installed and enabled. Only seeing one serial port and the errors below.

This is running on a mid 2010 Mac Mini 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo machine dedicated to Indigo, running latest version of Lion. Memory is that when I had to install the FTDI driver while setting up Indigo, there were two relevant options for the Mac, a 32 bit and 64 bit version. The later was installed, if that's at all relevant.

Installing and enabling plugin "RFXCOM" v1.1.6
  Loading plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.6"
  Starting plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.6" (pid 248)
  Plugin "RFXCOM" connected
  Plugin "RFXCOM 1.1.6" started

Aug 6, 2012 8:30:28 AM

Connected to PowerLinc 2413U interface on port usbserial-A4016NM3
  PowerLinc address 1C.F7.B7, firmware version 9.9

PowerLinc address 1C.F7.B7, firmware version 9.9
  Interface Failure               lost connection with interface

Posted on
Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just to confirm, when you unplug your 2413U, then there are no serial ports listed in either the RFXCOM config dialog or in the configuration dialog for INSTEON, right?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 am
eme jota ce offline

jay (support) wrote:
Just to confirm, when you unplug your 2413U, then there are no serial ports listed in either the RFXCOM config dialog or in the configuration dialog for INSTEON, right?

Jay,

Your suggestion of unplugging the 2413U lead me to the solution. I had plugged the RFXCOM into the wrong mac mini. :oops: There are three of them on the shelf, and I goofed. After plugging the RFXCOM's USB cable into the correct computer, I can now see two serial ports in Indigo and will start to use the RFXCOM. :roll:

Thanks for all the help from Matt and you, and sorry for wasting your time. Very embarrassed, but thankful for the support.

mjc

Page 1 of 1