Rfxcom and Oregon Scientific BTHGN129

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:22 pm
smackie offline

Rfxcom and Oregon Scientific BTHGN129

Folks,

Got an rfxtrx433e running the latest (rev 12) software. Also running the latest version of the plugin.

I'm trying to use the rfxtrx and indigo to drive the WunderStation plugin. In general, it works, but I'm running into a small problem.

Because I don't have a base station, I bought a BTHGN129 to provide barometer readings. It basically works (and it's temp and humidity matches the other sensors) but the pressure readings look wrong. They're static for long periods of time and, when they move, I get huge jumps. The values are basically in the right ballpark but I'm not seeing much variation.

So far, I've had readings of 1030 and 1014 returned. I'm obviously suspicious because they're 16 apart (encoding issue?)

Has anyone else tried a BTHGN129? Or, failing that, what do other folks use as a digital barometer for rfxcom weather reporting?

Cheers

Scott...

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:56 pm
CrazyFin offline

Re: Rfxcom and Oregon Scientific BTHGN129

I have not the BTHGN129 myself but I have 10 of the temp/humidity sensors THGR810 and they all work fine.

Reading the RFXtrx433e manual I can see that support has been in RFXtrx433e for the BTHGN129 since sept 2014.

However, a quick Google search revealed recent posts in other forums where others having similar problems with strange readings from the BTHGN129. In those cases it was temp readings causing strange values when temp was passing zero degrees Celsius. Seems to have been fixed in recent firmware.
You wrote that you are on firmware 12. Do you mean firmware release 1012 that was released this Friday Jan 6th 2017? (http://blog.rfxcom.com/?cat=3)

Have you checked the readings you get by using the RFXmngr software (unfortunately it runs only in Windows)?
RFXCOM downloads page

I suggest you contact Bert at RFXCOM. He is usually very quick on replying back.

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:29 pm
smackie offline

Re: Rfxcom and Oregon Scientific BTHGN129

Thanks. Yeah, I've got some THGR810s as well and they work fine (as does the temp/humidity bit of the BTHGN129. It's just the pressure that's weird. I'm running 1012. I don't have a windows laptop to hand but I'll fire up my old copy of windows 7 under parallels and see if it gives any other info. I'll also drop Bert a note.

Thanks!

Scott

Page 1 of 1