Mertik Maxitrol support

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 pm
PeteVis offline

Re: Mertik Maxitrol support

Many thanks for confirmation.

I just ordered a RFXcom unit. Looking forward to automate my fireplaces.

Now my only hope is that the RF signal from the RFXCom unit is strong enough. I have to say that the signal coming from the handheld transmitters is extremely weak...

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:01 pm
colinpartridge offline

The Unit code is found using the RFXmgr software, which sadly is Windows only software, although I think you can run it under emulation. I have found that the range using the RFXCom device is better than the remote, although I do have a ground plane antennae hooked up rather than the twig it comes with.

Colin

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:29 pm
PeteVis offline

I just googled ground plane antenna, had never heard of it.
I hope the little supplied antenna will do the trick, the ground plane antenna does't seem to be designed for critical spouses :D

If the RFXCOM doesn't do the trick I will probably hardwire the fireplaces. There are connector pins on the mertik controller that I can operate with some relays, but I already have too many raspberries floating all over the house doing all sorts of stuff.. it's hard to keep track what they all do..

Peter

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:35 pm
colinpartridge offline

My server is in a cellar so I don't really have a choice to aerial position, I think the ground plane aerial and a length of coax cable works better than the twig and long USB cable. although I really should measure it. Its not in plain sight and not all that big so I get away with it. BTW The Unit code is also revealed when you enable the Mertik protocol and enable debugging. Have a look at one of my earlier posts and you can see my remote code appearing in the debug code.

Colin

Posted on
Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:20 am
PeteVis offline

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the followup.
I received the RFXCOM unit today, and everything works perfect now.

I had a bit of a struggle to get the right Unitcode, but RFXCOM support (thanks Bert) was very quick and helpful.
Everything works and now winter can come :D
One of my Mertiks doesn't seem to support the Run up and Run Down commands, but I can easily repeat the up and down commands in the action group.

Also the range is better than I had hoped, the signal travels easily through a ceiling (wood, metal & plaster)