Install and Optimize an Oregon Scientific Wind Sensor

Posted on
Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm
kw123 offline

Install and Optimize an Oregon Scientific Wind Sensor

the PDF in this link: http://aws.indigodomo.com/tutorials/wind_sensor_installation.pdf describes how to install an Oregon Wind Sensor http://store.indigodomo.com/devices/wireless-sensors/wireless-wind-speed-sensor-wgr800.html

I have summarized my experience with the install and how to avoid some smaller pitfalls.
It describes
- how to install it on a roof top(*)
- how to utilize a solar panel to reduce the need to replace batteries. Once installed on a roof top it takes some courage to get it down and put it back up again with new batteries.

(*)If you install the wind sensor in an urban area, installation on the ground would likely result in wrong measurements due to houses and trees restricting the wind.

This is a real “do it yourself” project with learning exposure to some mechanical and electronics tools.

Be aware: it is not a one hour project! But when you are finished , see it moving on the roof top, it is a cool feeling and you can really see what you have installed physically and also see the data or graphs in Indigo.

if you have any further questions let me know.
happy building

Karl
Attachments
solar panel.png
solar panel.png (223.56 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
rooftop.png
rooftop.png (273.18 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

Posted on
Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Install and Optimize an Oregon Scientific Wind Sensor

Great write-up, Karl! I've been trying to decide between resurrecting my Davis Vantage Pro2 (currently no connection to computer, so would have to spend a bit of money) versus adding my own sensors ad-hoc. This definitely gives good information on the latter option!

Adam

Posted on
Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:56 am
norm offline

Re: Install and Optimize an Oregon Scientific Wind Sensor

Karl,

Very neat.

Thanks for this writeup. I've taken liberty to include a reference to it on our Wind Sensor product page.

I saw that ladder you were using to install the unit. Hopefully, your solar cell approach will keep your feet on the ground. I'm sure your spouse is hoping the same thing. :)

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Page 1 of 1