Probelms with Byron Home Easy HE306 door kit and Trigger?

Posted on
Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:11 pm
Henry offline

Probelms with Byron Home Easy HE306 door kit and Trigger?

Hi please forgive my general lack of knowledge as this is my first post here,

I’ve been using various home automation systems over the past few years, most of which I felt were lacking to some degree or another, I think (hope) that I have at last found the program (Indigo) for which I have long been searching for…

Anyway I’ve configured up my Mac Mini running Indigo 6 with Z Wave and the RFXCOM Plugin all’s working well. I’ve tested the RFXCOM with some old ByeBye switches and have lights successfully tuning on and off as expected.

Anyway I saw the excellent article on Automated home http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/apple/indigo-home-automation-on-the-mac-part-2-rfxcom-the-wireless-door-bell.html regarding a simple project using a Byron Home Easy HE306 door kit. An impromptu ebay purchase and soon I have the doorbell installed and chiming the powered remote unit. Now for the interesting bit, using the guidance on this Wiki and using the screen shots on Automated Home, I have installed two indigo devices:

An X10 switch for the door button – Configured with address: A8

AC Appliance (New KaKu) for the chime unit – Configured with dummy address: ABCDABCD

From Indigo I can successfully trigger a chime which may be useful at some point in the future, however I can’t seem to create a trigger for the doorbell, ideally I want some of the house lights to flash if someone rings the bell. When I check the Event log, Indigo seems to show that the door button has been processed but nothing then happens..

RFXCOM Debug processing: 7 16 1 6 65 8 7 96 (07 10 01 06 41 08 07 60)
RFXCOM Debug Switch Command A8 command 7 received
RFXCOM Debug Switch Command A8 in list, command=Pressed
RFXCOM Debug ++++++++++++++

Have I specified the right address for the door button (A8??), or is there something wrong with my trigger? I know it can be done but I just can’t seem to figure it out..

My Trigger:

Name: Door Bell
Type: Device State Changed
Device: Door Bell
Command Becomes Equal to Pressed

Any help gratefully received, Henry

Posted on
Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:56 pm
durosity offline

Re: Probelms with Byron Home Easy HE306 door kit and Trigger

Because the device remembers that it was pressed last time it's better to set your trigger to use the last updated field, then each time that info changes it'll process your trigger/action. I've found this setup the best way to deal with most home easy/LWRF devices

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm
Henry offline

Thanks for the prompt response Durosity (I also like the your footer link to Lazy :) )

I've tried your suggestion above and changed my trigger to:

Name: Door Bell

Type: Device State Changed

Device: Door Bell

Last Updated

Has Any Change

Unfortunately though it still does not work, it's as though Indigo is just not recognizing the door bell when it's pushed... Do you have any other suggestions, have I got the door bell address right? (A8) as I was not sure that I was reading the Event log correctly?

Posted on
Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:59 pm
durosity offline

Looks good to me.. on the device for the door bell button does it update the last updated field when you press the button?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 pm
Henry offline

Looks like you correctly guessed the problem although I don't have a solution...

It looks like the last updated field for the door bell is still set at the default (2000-01-01 00:00:00)

So although the device is showing up in the event log when I press the bell (see above) it's obviously not then updating the actual device in indigo, which would explain why the trigger is not working..

Henry

Posted on
Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm
durosity offline

Hrm.. Not sure what the beef is then. I'm going to setup mine tomorrow (moved house and setup a new indigo DB) so I'll check my settings tomorrow to see if they match with your log. In the mean time try deleting the device, set the rfxcom to debug mode, check the address again and recreate the device.

Mike

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:45 pm
Henry offline

Hi Mike,

OK that worked :-)

I deleted the door Button device within Indigo and then re-created it. It still shows "Pressed" all the time within the State field but I've now changed my trigger to work off any change to the last updated field as per your advise above (The Last Updated Field is now recording the actual time when the button was pressed)

It would be nice to "re-set" the Pressed field to Not Pressed etc. after running my trigger but this is just a cosmetic thing and I can live with it.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Henry

Posted on
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:55 pm
durosity offline

Henry wrote:
It would be nice to "re-set" the Pressed field to Not Pressed etc. after running my trigger but this is just a cosmetic thing and I can live with it.

Yeah i’ve never worked out a way of doing that.. if indeed it’s even possible.. i suppose the plugin developer could perhaps add that feature if it was in demand enough.. not that there’s been any updates to it in quite some time

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1