RFXTrx433 with LightwaveRF - Initial Installation

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 am
jeremyjjr offline

RFXTrx433 with LightwaveRF - Initial Installation

Hi,

Just installed the RFXTrx433 using the latest drivers and plugin as described in the forum. In Indigo 6, I have configured the RFXCOM plugin to listen to ALL protocols and log ALL traffic - including debugging. When I click save the Event Log shows successful communication with the device.

However, that's it - i'm not seeing any other events listed in the Activity Log - it's totally quiet. As a newbie, I'm not sure if I've missed a step in the configuration or if I've yet to complete other configuration steps that are not listed.

I have a LightwaveRF appliance socket in my setup that I am trying to communicate with - so no luck yet!

Help appreciated!

Jeremy.

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 am
durosity offline

Re: RFXTrx433 with LightwaveRF - Initial Installation

Alas the Lightwave sockets don't send any form of communication that the rfxtrx can pick up on (in fact it sends none at all).. what you need to do is setup a device in indigo using the rfxcom plugin as the type and lightwave switch at the device.. give it a random housecode, save it, put the LWRF socket into pairing mode then send the on signal from Indigo to pair it. From there you'll be able to turn it on and off as you like, but bare in mind that if you switch the device on/off locally Indigo will not know about that change!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm
jeremyjjr offline

Thank you! Wife is in the front room this evening, so will have to try the pairing procedure later on :)

I am also considering purchasing the LightwaveRF Mood Lighting Switch. Do you know if this will send a signal back to Indigo or does it only work locally on the LightwaveRF devices? If I can detect a signal on the Mac ... happy days!

J.

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:27 pm
durosity offline

Yep the mood switches work wonderfully with the rfxtrx433 (except for the fact they create lot of traffic, but some carefully placed delays on actions can avoid that). I’ve got a few master switches on my walls which i’ve set to trigger different action groups depending on what button is pressed. Because of the way indigo handles conditions i’ve setup some mini python scripts to help keep these triggers neat and tidy which i could post if you like.

(And yes.. best not do these things while the other half is about.. usually results in pain anger and suffering… that is your pain and suffering, and her anger :) )

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm
jeremyjjr offline

Just coming back from earlier post. Followed the instructions and it's worked like a charm! Appreciate the help!

Would love to see your python scripts if possible - am just working through a few trial scenarios at the moment and building some control pages, so more code examples the better!

Thanks again!

J.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:37 am
durosity offline

Each Master Switch has its own unique id code assigned to it. If you turn on the debug logging on the RFXtrx433 and press a button on the Master Switch it will show up accordingly in the log. You would then create a device in Indigo with a type of RFXCOM and a model of LightWave Switch. You’d then use the unique ID as the house code/unit code. Then once you have that setup you’d create a trigger which watches the ‘lastUpdated’ field on the device and some conditions/actions to apply when that field changes (i.e. when a button is pressed) and like magic it will run the appropriate action group. Because it can output 6 different ‘moods’ i’ve got one trigger per device, then a mini python script (as below) to read what command was last sent by the Master Switch, then selects the appropriate action group.. but if you wanted you could just setup lots of little triggers for each individual mood.

Here’s my sample script:

dev = indigo.devices["Lounge Master Switch"]
if dev.states["command"] == "Group off":
indigo.actionGroup.execute(939818415) #This turns off all my media devices in the living room
indigo.actionGroup.execute(1970125452) #This turns off all the lights in the living room as well.
elif dev.states["command"] == "Mood 1":
indigo.actionGroup.execute(707643769) #Movies Scene - Dim Lights to 10% (doesn't affect TV)
elif dev.states["command"] == "Mood 2":
indigo.actionGroup.execute(1011653411) #All Lights Full - Sets all lights to 100% (doesn't affect TV)
elif dev.states["command"] == "Mood 3":
indigo.actionGroup.execute(141875067) #Just lavalamp (doesn't affect TV)
elif dev.states["command"] == "Mood 4":
indigo.actionGroup.execute(1970125452) #All Off - Turns off all lights but doesn't affect TV
elif dev.states["command"] == "Mood 5":
indigo.actionGroup.execute(114513799) #General Mood - My most common preference of having the side lights dimmed to 80% and the floor standing lamp at 50% but doesn't (doesn't affect TV)

(I’m only just learning Python so it may well be there’s a more efficient way of doing this, but it works for me)

Each one of these is actioned by pressing a button on the LWRF Master Switch. The two big ones are for the most commonly used scenes. The beauty of it is as well that these are easily changeable, so if you want to tweak settings it’s just a matter of adjusting your action groups in indigo.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 am
jeremyjjr offline

Finally got round to installing the Mood switch this week. Have noticed that the groupings are slightly different on the model I've received. The large on/off buttons are grouped under one switch ID, the four mood switches are grouped under another switch ID. This doesn't present a problem, but makes the scripting a little more interesting.

One question that I still have is what sort of trigger event have you created to detect a change in switch state - this isn't immediately obvious to me!

Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 am
durosity offline

jeremyjjr wrote:
Finally got round to installing the Mood switch this week. Have noticed that the groupings are slightly different on the model I've received. The large on/off buttons are grouped under one switch ID, the four mood switches are grouped under another switch ID. This doesn't present a problem, but makes the scripting a little more interesting.

One question that I still have is what sort of trigger event have you created to detect a change in switch state - this isn't immediately obvious to me!

Thanks.

There's a switch on the back to flick between moods or switch mode, if you set it to moods then you just need the one device! Make sure your rfxcom firmware is up to date as earlier ones didn't register the extra moods correctly.

As for the trigger I get it to look at the last updated field on the device, then the script runs based on whatever the mood is set to! Hope this helps

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:18 am
Vangelis offline

Question to Durosity....

I have setup my LightwaveRF Mood Switch in Indigo and have it controlling my EasyDAQ Relay card. You mentioned setting a trigger to check for 'last updated' from the Mood Switch, which I have working, however I am unsure how you then subsequently check for the 'command sent' eg Mood 1 or Mood2 etc (without using your Python script)?
Do you use some kind of Nested Trigger?? First to check for traffic from the switch (using 'last updated') then to look for what command is sent?

Lastly, regarding Python - do you just cut'n'paste any script into the Pane that allows scripting? (think its under Actions)

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am
durosity offline

Yeah I just use python scripts to check for the mood setting.. It is possible to do it via the conditions tab but that'd involve having a different trigger for each mood... I think it's more efficient as just one (I posted an example earlier in this thread)

And yes I tend to use the same template and cuts copy/paste/amend accordingly. (FYI I'm without easy access to a mac right now as I manage to crush my MacBook Pro during work being done on my house so replies may be sporadic.. Best PM me if needed as I'll get an email fr that!)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 am
crsarnelli offline

Hello All,

I am new to Indigo and experimenting with LWRF Mood Switch. I was able to assigned different actions every time I pressed any of the six mood buttons on the LWRF switch.

Basically when the Device XYZ "change to MOOD 1" an action is triggered i.e. "TOGGLE ceiling lights". The problem with this is that when I press the same mood bottom for a second time in a row the action ("toggle" the lights) is not triggered (obviously, because is not a change in the DEVICE XYZ state).

My question is, How can I triggered the actions ANY TIME the device received a MOOD X message (rather than "when the device XYZ status CHANGE to...")? or How can I add to the end of the actions triggered a "a change of status on the device, let say change to MOOD 9"?

Thanks for the help,

Carlos

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 am
durosity offline

If you look earlier in this thread I've posted a way of doing this and a sample Python script for it. Hope this helps!!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:25 pm
crsarnelli offline

Hello Durosity,

I read your previous messages before I posted mine. I tried to add your script, but I could not figure it out. I am too new with the automated systems, I will target my search on the Pythons Scripts.

Thanks for your reply.

Carlos

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm
durosity offline

I just realised I forgot to post a step by step guide I wrote months ago... I'll look see if I still have it and repost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 pm
crsarnelli offline

That will be a huge help.

Thank you.

Carlos