Step by Step Instructions for Integrating RollerTrol blinds

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:21 am
arobase offline

Step by Step Instructions for Integrating RollerTrol blinds

This is an actual step by step how to.

My apologies for the misleading title of the last thread I created asking for help. Given the number of views it is obvious others would like to know how to do this.

Please let me know if I have left any steps out or if the instructions are misleading at all. Thanks to bluepine for his assistance as well.

Enjoy!

Requirements:

Indigo SW installed and working

RFXCOM plugin - found on the perceptive automation forums 3rd party DL page

Rollertrol shade motor - this model - Kit 10: Basic Window Blind Motor Kit - Built in battery
Note this kit comes with the wireless radio, charger, brackets, and programming remote. It can use the optional solar charger too. It can lift up to 10lbs and fits an OD (outside diameter) tube of 1.5". There are other lift capacities and tube sizes available. But be sure you get a kit that is battery operated, with wireless radio, and the proper weight rating for your blinds. You will require 1 motor for each window/shade you want to operate.

Blind motor RF controller USB/PC
NOTE AKA RFXtrx1138

Both of the above items can be purchased from rollertrol.com webstore.

http://rollertrol.com/store/en/

Shades or material cut to required shape of shade

1-1/2" PVC conduit - used as tube to hold shade

Gaffer or other tape to bind shade to tube

Access to a PC

Numerous household tools (level, tape measure, drill (or handheld screw driver), etc

Screws that fit the brackets included with motor from rollertrol. I fitted these from Home Depot.

STEPS:

Installing the Shades

1. Charge the motors immediately upon delivery until you start to work with them. This ensures fully charged batteries for install.

2. Measure window for shade. You can install shades inside or outside molding of window. See these sites for instructions:

http://www.justblinds.com/static/blindsinstall.cfm

3. Once you have determined the install method, measured, and obtained/cut blinds required you will need to assemble the roller.

4. Purchase and have cut to measurements the PVC tube noted here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/JM-eagle-1-1 ... dbJkBb5b8s

I had mine cut at Home Depot using the pipe cutter. This guaranteed a straight cut and was also able to widen the ends as to make inserting the motor a little easier.

5. Now insert motor in tube following these instructions:

http://rollertrol.com/instructions-inse ... nto-tubing

These instructions show an aluminum pipe. I used a PVC. Your choice. You will need a locking screw if the weight of the shade will be over 10-12lbs.

6. Install roller with motor installed (without shades attached) in the window. Following the instructions from justblinds.com above. Again note: Screws are NOT included with the rollertrol brackets. You will have to supply.

7. Pair the remote as described in the instructions here:

http://rollertrol.com/instructions

Not all of the steps are relevant to the battery operated kit.

Once you have paired the remote and confirmed proper operation proceed.

8. Before you remove the tubes from the brackets be sure to the run the motors to down stop point using the down button on the remote. This will guarantee the motor is in the proper position for blinds to be attached. Now remove tube from brackets and attach blinds to tube. You will need a large flat apace where you can lay out the blind material and then accurately align the material to the tube. Depending on weight of the material you can use gaffer tape or double sided 3M tape for this. I was able to use gaffer tape. Be prepared to repeat this step as many times as necessary to ensure the blind material is mounted perfectly straight. Be Patient! If anyone has any advice on Best Practice please add to this thread.

9. Once material is attached to the tube. You will remount the tube in the brackets. Do NOT roll the blinds up before mounting. Let them hang in closed/full position.

10. Now follow the remaining instructions on setting the up and down travel limits from step 7. This is very important and you will now see if the blinds are straight. If the bind does not roll up straight repeat Step 8.

Congratulations you now have a remote operated shade (or shades). Enjoy it for a moment and think of The Jetsons or Austin Powers apartment.

Integrating with Indigo

11. Configure the RFXCOM RFXtrx1138. You will need a PC for this step. On the PC download the RFXmngr SW from this site

http://rfxcom.com/Downloads

Once the SW is installed connect the RFXtrx1138 to the PC via the supplied USB cable. Wait for windows to load the usb device and inform you of the proper COM port used. This is important. Now launch the RFXmngr SW and choose the device from the COM port choices. You will now disable all other protocols on the device and enable ONLY the BlindsT0 protocol. Save this to the device.
NOTE If all the checkboxes are greyed out and you cannot change them you have chosen the wrong COM port. Choose again.
Disconnect the device. Quit the SW. Wait 30s. Reconnect device and launch SW again to confirm the settings saved.
Apologies for not having screenshots or more specific instructions for this step but I am writing this HOWTO post install and do not have access to the PC.

12. Now you can add the RFXtrx1138 to Indigo, plug it into the Indigo server mac, has to be plugged in directly NOT in a hub. It uses the same usbserial plugin as the USB PLM you should already have. DL and install the RFXCOM plugin for Indigo from here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8289&start=30

Upon install you will configure the plugin to access the RFX. From the serial port pop up choose the new prepopulated option that is NOT the same as the PLM serial port. Uncheck all the receiver protocols and check all 3 of the logging options.

Watch the log and confirm that Indigo sees the RFX. You will see this (or similar) in the log

Starting plugin "RFXCOM 1.3.5" (pid 80452)
Started plugin "RFXCOM 1.3.5"
RFXCOM initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A1WJAJNE at speed 38400
RFXCOM connected to RFXtrx 433.92 MHz, firmware version 67
RFXCOM enabling undecoded packet displaying

13. Now you are ready to identify the rollertrol motors in Indigo. This info was provided to me by bluepine in the forums. Big Thank You to him.

"While watching the log in Indigo hit a key on your remote for the blind (up or down). Be sure the remote is set to the channel the blind is paired on and NOT AL (for All). The log will show a bunch of numbers but pay close attention to what's after processing: in particular what's in the parenthesis. For example mine says processing: 9 25 0 3 0 63 103 6 2 96 (09 19 00 03 00 3F 67 06 02 60). The 003F67 is the house code and 06 is the channel. The house code will remain the same for all your blinds. Just your channel changes per blind(s) (obviously). You will need the house code and channel in the next step."

If you do not see something like this in the log then make sure the RFX is online and that Indigo sees it. Also confirm the BlindsT0 protocol is the only protocol enabled on the device.

RFXCOM Debug processing: 9 25 0 1 0 204 135 1 1 112 (09 19 00 01 00 CC 87 01 01 70)
RFXCOM Error unknown device type detected (type = 25)
RFXCOM Debug ++++++++++++++

The error is normal. Note the codes in the parenthesis. The 3rd node from the right is the channel i.e 01 The next 3 nodes are the house code 00CC87.

14. Add the blinds to Indigo as device.

Add new device in Indigo, type is RFXCOM , model is RollerTrol, and enter HouseCode found in log and Unitcode (channel) assigned to the blind. Name as you see fit.

Note, as stated by bluepine when ON the blinds are closed and when OFF the blinds are open. Also be aware that as the rollertrol motors do not transmit any status change If you use the remote AND Indigo the state of the blinds can (and will) get out of sync. Best to use one or the other and not both.

Hit the Turn On and Turn Off button a couple of times to watch the log and the blinds work as expected.

Repeat this step for each blind/channel you have installed.

If they do not work as expected. Look at the logs and troubleshoot as you would any other device.

Disable the logging in the RFXCOM plugin once it is working.

Now can create triggers, schedules, and action group for the blinds.

DUN Done! :D

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Step by Step Instructions for Integrating RollerTrol bli

Excellent, thanks. At some point I may take this post and move it over to our Wiki (but that'll have to wait until I've got all the Indigo 6 docs done).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:22 am
stoffergoffer offline

Thanks for the guide!
Is it required to be battery powered, or can I use the 12v radio motor?

Posted on
Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:30 am
arobase offline

Either/Or. Just skip the charging step. All else should know the same. Good luck!

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2015 10:42 pm
mpleeds offline

I am attempting to use this guide to set up the BOFU EY2512-1.5/28 radio motors, which appear to be identical to the Rolloertol.
RFXCOM claims that the BOFU motors are supported, but I have not been able to get the RFX to identify them using the procedure outlined in this tutorial. Protocol is set to Blinds T0, and debug logging is enabled. The BOFU remote is single channel, but I can't imagine that would hinder the transmission of data to my RFXtrx433E.
Any suggestions?

5/11/15 - Problem solved. The RFXtrx433e requires RFXCOM TYPE 2 firmware, which can be installed on a windows computer via the RFX Flash program. The BOFU motors are now recognized within Indigo using the Blinds T0 / Rollertrol protocol.

Posted on
Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:19 am
Dewster35 offline

Does anyone know if there is a minimum version of firmware needed to transmit the rollertrol signals to control their shades?

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:23 pm
Dewster35 offline

I've been able to get my RFXTRX flashed with the latest firmware... I'm getting the following:

Code: Select all
  RFXCOM Debug                    ++++++++++++++
  RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 9 25 0 4 0 141 18 7 1 96 (09 19 00 04 00 8D 12 07 01 60)
  RFXCOM Error                    unknown device type detected (type = 25)

So what exactly should I be entering in for the address?

I've tried

00 8D 12 07
008D1207
07 00 8D 12
07008D12

No options for turning the device on or off.

Posted on
Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:34 am
b_weijenberg offline

The ID is: 8D 12
Unit code is: 7

Posted on
Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:30 am
Dewster35 offline

Thank you Robert. When trying to enter 8D127 in the address field, I get the following error:

Code: Select all
RFXCOM Error                    Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 855, in deviceUpdated
  File "plugin.py", line 42, in deviceStartComm
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/RFXCOM.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RFXTRX.py", line 2066, in deviceStart
<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'D1'

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:42 pm
Dewster35 offline

Anyone?

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:30 am
Dewster35 offline

Hello Robert. I would really appreciate any help you may be able to offer... or anyone else for that matter.

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:13 am
b_weijenberg offline

I don't have knowledge of the plug-in. Is it possible that you have to enter the values in decimal instead of hex?

Bert

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:28 am
RJdeKok offline

What About 8D1207

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:33 am
b_weijenberg offline

Posted on
Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:38 pm
Dewster35 offline

Thanks for the help guys. Neither one of these converts the device to something I can turn on or off. The hex converted version does however not throw up the base 10 int() error I saw above. Any other ideas to try?